Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Reason why not to buy a stroker motor, from just anyone!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2006, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SilverEvo8owner
was the plug still in the pump when you got it back?
There was no plug in there... I told him that!

He was reaching for a reason...he said " You know what it could be a plug that I sometimes put in the pickup tube to prevent dirt getting in there during shipment"

there was no plug in there
Old Feb 3, 2006, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand where all you guys are comming from. But you guys also need to put yourselves in the vendor's shoes aswell. Anyone can just mis install a pump and try to blame it on something else. All the vendor has to go by is a mechanic's "word" and we all know how some mechanics are these days...
Old Feb 3, 2006, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by J Dog
This comment justifies NOTHING!
Of course I knew I would be attacked for writing in defense of the seller. Let's see what we CAN justify to conclude:

1) The stroker motor works as advertised. No issue there whatsoever.
2) The oil pump works as advertised. It did not because of user error. Getting no oil pressure from a pump that isn't seized is pretty much impossible unless it isn't primed (likely) or leaks like a sieve (unlikely).
3) I made no comment about the pump being kept by the seller, I merely said I can understand his actions. Why would the buyer want the pump now anyways? There's a new one installed. All I can think of is so he can be a pita.
4) The post topic is misleading. To be clear the seller sold him a product that worked 100%. Nothing wrong with the block or anything attached to it.
5) It is always a good idea to replace the parts that attach to the motor. That would include oil pump, water pump, pulleys, tensioner, etc. The buyer took a risk not replacing them in the first place. Let that be a lesson to anyone else swapping motors.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

It doesn't matter what actually happened anymore. By reading the seller's own responds, its a good enough reason to stay away from.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
All he is asking for is to slander my reputation. He or anyone on this board would really have no clue that I am not an average joe looking to take advantage of someone but actually a dedicated 4g63 enthusiast and an exceptional mechanic with a five week waiting list to get into my shop.
LOL, your shop or your back yard. You have no shop, you work out of your back yard. You have a reputation of selling crappy parts. I aksed you beofre in several posts where your shop was located and my local frineds in tampa WOULD NEVER bring their cars to you. Just give the guy his pump back.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
When the mechanic found the plug he is faced with a decision. Tell the customer he is an idiot for leaving a plug in the pickup and it was all his fault. Try to imagine that he has to eat all the frustration and lost time not to mention his customer may not only come back but will likely tell others of the stupid mistake he has made. The second option is to tell the customer the pump is bad and that he needs a new one. Charge him 500 and go on your way as a good mechanic. The sad part of this is anyone with half a brain can see there is nothing wrong with the pump. Sorry I may sound like the **** here but I am being accused of doing bad business when it is talentsearch301 that has no clue what a good oil pump looks like and has caused a ruckuss. The mechanic was smart enough to know he could tell this guy the pump was bad and he wouldn't argue the point.

Really all one has to do is look at the pump. Its is the definition of new. Sorry you can't see it.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DrSmile
Of course I knew I would be attacked for writing in defense of the seller. Let's see what we CAN justify to conclude:

1) The stroker motor works as advertised. No issue there whatsoever.
2) The oil pump works as advertised. It did not because of user error. Getting no oil pressure from a pump that isn't seized is pretty much impossible unless it isn't primed (likely) or leaks like a sieve (unlikely).
3) I made no comment about the pump being kept by the seller, I merely said I can understand his actions. Why would the buyer want the pump now anyways? There's a new one installed. All I can think of is so he can be a pita.
4) The post topic is misleading. To be clear the seller sold him a product that worked 100%. Nothing wrong with the block or anything attached to it.
5) It is always a good idea to replace the parts that attach to the motor. That would include oil pump, water pump, pulleys, tensioner, etc. The buyer took a risk not replacing them in the first place. Let that be a lesson to anyone else swapping motors.
Thanks for the support. You are the only poster on here that has sensible info to what has happen. It is indeed impossible for a pump to not pump unless it is seized. The pump was attatched to the block with only one bolt. I left it that way in case he wanted to inspect the pump before installing. Pump was immaculate and still is. The balance shafts were eliminated and the stubby was installed. The pump turned free as a bird.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Just amazing
Old Feb 3, 2006, 05:15 PM

Overall, this is getting sorted out. I appreciate the buyer's concerns..and of course, as ALREADY STATED by 94AWDcoupe, he's going to send the pump back and he stated already that his statement was made in anger (I find anyone willing to admit ANY faults these days rare). So overall, there is really good news for me if I'm on the buyer's end.

One: I could ask for some money instead of the pump (thus eliminating the ownership of a pump which I couldn't consciensiously sell....believing it to not be perfect) and MIGHT even get the money for the pump back (??).

Two: I likely have a good engine...which, to me, is a hell of a relief considering what the picture looked like prior to this.

Three: I have a brand new oil pump, which someone just stated was recommended when putting a used engine in anyway.

At first I was really pissed at the seller but now c'mon guys...it does sound a little fishy that NO oil pressure was happening with a pump that at least functions when spun with a drill. That's at least a partially functioning pump.

No doubt some of the responses of the seller could have been better...but I'm still glad to see that this guy likely has a well-built stroker motor.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tonysevo
LOL, your shop or your back yard. You have no shop, you work out of your back yard. You have a reputation of selling crappy parts. I aksed you beofre in several posts where your shop was located and my local frineds in tampa WOULD NEVER bring their cars to you. Just give the guy his pump back.
Okay since you are so knowledgeable about my reputation, could you take the time to find some bad posts about my parts or my work? I am sure everyone would like to see them. Certainly you have seen them and it is common knowledge. How bout staying out of the thread where you belong.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MyCre8n=Evlshn
Overall, this is getting sorted out. I appreciate the buyer's concerns..and of course, as ALREADY STATED by 94AWDcoupe, he's going to send the pump back and he stated already that his statement was made in anger (I find anyone willing to admit ANY faults these days rare). So overall, there is really good news for me if I'm on the buyer's end.

One: I could ask for some money instead of the pump (thus eliminating the ownership of a pump which I couldn't consciensiously sell....believing it to not be perfect) and MIGHT even get the money for the pump back (??).

Two: I likely have a good engine...which, to me, is a hell of a relief considering what the picture looked like prior to this.

Three: I have a brand new oil pump, which someone just stated was recommended when putting a used engine in anyway.

At first I was really pissed at the seller but now c'mon guys...it does sound a little fishy that NO oil pressure was happening with a pump that at least functions when spun with a drill. That's at least a partially functioning pump.

No doubt some of the responses of the seller could have been better...but I'm still glad to see that this guy likely has a well-built stroker motor.
not to bash the seller, but this looks like a customer service issue to me. But with a claimed 5 week wait to get into the sellers shop, who can blame him?

The problem we have here is there is still some unknown 3rd party reputable shop that did the actual install, but may have made some mistakes during the install. who knows... only the shop that did the work.

It's pretty clear there is anger and frustration on both sides. It's threads like this that demonstrate the value of good consistant customer service.

On the other hand, there is the oil pump issue. I think it's pretty clear, no refunds unless the part was clearly defective, it was not defective (or at least it has not been proven to be defective yet), so no refund yet. the buyer bought a used engine that was stroked. how much warrentee are you actually expecting here? You are basically buying a used engine with a new crank, pistons, etc... Was a new oil pump part of the stroker kit? doubt it.

good luck on getting this issue solved.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

I actually believe you that it could work but I don't think that's the point anymore. If you just send this part back, maybe this thread will go away, and hopefully it doesn't hurt your business, especially by what your actions were originally to the customer by speaking out of anger

Last edited by slo4g63; Feb 3, 2006 at 05:48 PM.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Not taking sides here but how many of you guys have seen a oil pump? They can go bad by seizing or getting a LOT of crap thru them them but for the most part they are one of the most basic parts in a 4g63. For a pump to have zero psi you have a broken drive pulley, open oil galley plug, or a blocked intake screen/tube. The oil pump has very few parts in it (2 main gears) and chances are it won't fail to move any oil unless something went horribly wrong.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MyCre8n=Evlshn

MyCre8n...thanks for the kind words trying to prove there is light at the end of the tunnel

BUT!
one: I asked for the refund he refused to send any payment and or the pump...as I stated i feel I should have at least had the pump returned since i paid for what the ad stated I was getting. He knows if I send the pics or the video of the condition of the pump, this will be a closed and shut case.

He stated that the statements were made out of anger! Then he must have been angry for the last couple of weeks! The responses were made over a period of 2-3 weeks. I gave him his time and space to think before he wrote/ and spoke. thats why i wrote I'm tired of the back and forth...just send the pump back...when he finally wrote back with the only reply "no he's keeping the pump for his motor" fhat was basically a shady wrong response ...basically a BIG FU response.

Knowingly that he wasnt refunding or going to return the pump...he said send it back so he can check it out!

Yes maybe I have a have a well built motor...

but maybe this pump was the reason that the engine failed, that he used the to build the motor.

All I did was ask for the refund for a pump that was not working!
He basically said NO
Then I asked for him to return the pump that i paid for...( i was paying the return shipping) just so I could post the pics and the condition of the punmp!
He said NO

Will the real slim shady please stand up!
Old Feb 3, 2006, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i wanna go beat up the guy who is keeping the pump...who's with me?

Quick Reply: Reason why not to buy a stroker motor, from just anyone!