Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Reason why not to buy a stroker motor, from just anyone!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2006, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Reason why not to buy a stroker motor, from just anyone!

A few months ago I was in desperate need of a motor…I search on Evolutionm for options to help get my car running again. I contacted a few vendors, but at the time the prices without the sening in a core was too expensive for my pockets at that time.

I continued to search and found this post https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=171012 ,

I immediately contacted the seller for info,then set up payment and shipment specifics.
Money was sent, block was then shipped to the local performance shop for install.

Once install and all preliminaries was completed, then it was time to start her up…there was no oil pressure!
After troubleshooting it was determined that it was the oil pump. I then contacted the seller to let him know there was no oil pressure and questioned if he sold me some garbage and that the performance shop determined the oil pump was bad.

The seller said "no way…those oil pumps don’t go bad, it has to be something the mechanic did wrong!"

The performance shop recommended it was best I order a new pump from Mitsubishi. The new pump came in and was installed, when the vehicle was started…instant oil pressure!

I then contacted the seller to let him know the pump is in the mail and requested a refund for the pump…he replied that he will inspect and determine if the pump is actually defective before he refunds my money.

About a week later I contacted the seller to check on my pump money refund and this is what was said in the email converstions…

I wrote:
The pump didn't work...I really appreciate it if I was refunded for that part...I could understand if you had a problem with me asking for $710.33 which is my total bill for the oil pump being pulled and replacement of the new one...but I ate the labor costs and my bill is paid in full except the $210.00 which I explained to them I was waiting for the refund.

Sellers reply:

I would be happy to refund money for the pump if it was bad or at at least questionable. Not the case. It didn't work because your mechanic made a mistake. I can only indirectly prove this by showing you there is nothing wrong with the pump.I could submerge the pick-up in oil and turn the pump with a drill and show you how well it pumps oil. I could post on evoM so you could see how silly this argument is.

In short your mechanic made a mistake. And you are asking me to pay for part of it when it is perfectly clear to me I had nothing to do with this mistake.

My reply:
If you want to post it on EvoM ...go ahead! I'm finished with the back and forth emails..."it works-no it doesnt-it works - no it doesnt" The pump was the reason there was no oil pressure = it doesnt work...of course if you can turn it with a drill it'll pump some oil. Did you put it on an engine and crank it to see if it creates the pressure needed?
But anyways send me your paypal address I'll send you the shipping, so you can return the pump.

Sellers reply:
I am keeping the pump. I am gonna use it on my own motor.

My reply:
How are you going to keep the pump and not pay me for it...the pump was sent back for you to refund the costs of me replacing it. If you're not refunding my money...please send back the pump! I Honestly I didn't believe I would be going through this with you
Please send my money or send my pump back!

His Reply:
The problem is you insist i sent you a pump that was bad. why would i bother sending a bad pump back to you? if pump is good then your mechanic should foot the bill, end of story
Old Feb 3, 2006, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, definetely wtf. Sorry man.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

The true test of the pump would be to restrict the output of the pump so that it is pumping oil through an orifice, thus simulating the pump pushing oil through an engine. Just because a pump flows oil with no restrictions does not prove a pump can maintain flow under pressure. Also how many RPM was his drill turning?

It's obvious this guy is a shyster. Maybe you could get everyone on EvoM to send him a big steaming turd!

I feel for you...been taken by various jacka$$es in the past myself.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

I wanted the pump back just to prove with pics and videos of the condition of the pump, but as you can see above I did not receive a refund or the pump.

I feel even though the pump is not working...its still my property...since i paid for a motor with pump.

If i request the pump back since no refund was given, to prove my point to a mediator or even to throw it in the trash...thats my choice! since i paid for it!!!!
Old Feb 3, 2006, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

That sucks man. How is the car running with the new pump though?
Old Feb 3, 2006, 08:04 AM

the guy has a sense of humor, you have to give him that.

honestly being in this buisness you will see this all of the time. finger blaming happens daily, turbos being some of the worst. this guy should have handled the situation better, thats for sure. i wish you the best of luck.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

If it matters at all I think BR and several other shops will not rebuild a 4g63 without replacing the pump. So putting a new one in was the best thing to do.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nnorris7413
That sucks man. How is the car running with the new pump though?
She runs! No problems (yet) I recently put about 950 miles on the motor...

I havent really pushed her that hard yet waiting for the HPDEs to start up...

But now... I'm a little nervous...because if he can be shady about a $200 oil pump...I'm scared to think about the $3500.00 motor he built.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear all that man - i hope you get your money back.

It's just funny how closed minded he is to the fact that it "couldn't have been the pump" and "the mechanic is obviously a 'tard"
Old Feb 3, 2006, 08:18 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
That guy is a crook if he keeps that pump and should be barred from selling on this site. I'll never buy anything from him, that's for sure!
Old Feb 3, 2006, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

You're right, legally the pump still belongs to you. Tell him that:

1. You exchanged money for goods. Once the exchange took place, the item belongs to you. Uniform Commercial Code, plain and simple.

2. He has something that belongs to you. If he fails to return the item, you can file CRIMINAL charges (not just civil).
Old Feb 3, 2006, 08:29 AM
Former Vendor

yep.. if its bad or not, its yours, not his to keep..

boo bad seller.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Always buy from reputable person or vendors here. you are lucky you got the motor anyway. some will just take your money and ship you junk in the box. I will consider a lot if I am going to spend some serious money. who is this guy sold you the motor? spread the name and contact all over the internet.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by taenaive
Always buy from reputable person or vendors here. you are lucky you got the motor anyway. some will just take your money and ship you junk in the box. I will consider a lot if I am going to spend some serious money. who is this guy sold you the motor? spread the name and contact all over the internet.
About a $200.00 lesson learned, hopefully not a $3500.00 dollar one

Here is the thread of who sold it to me... https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=171012
Old Feb 3, 2006, 08:47 AM

I think tis guy sold bad injectors to my buddy. When my buddy tried to confronting him with the problem, he was given an attitude from this seller. First thing he said was, "You don't know how to tune, the injectors are fine."

buddy later took the injectors to RC Engineering. turned out the injectors were failing and had been subjected to methanol. Wonder why the seller failed to mention this? I would stay away from this guy.

Quick Reply: Reason why not to buy a stroker motor, from just anyone!