Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Hmm... I'm not going to lie. The EVO didnt impress me...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2006, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence...Suggest you to plan ahead..Keeping it stock or mods...

Even with stock..you really can't beat the 10/100k miles waranty. But then MR is about 3-4k more than the STI...
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:01 AM
Rnm
Evolved Member

Call me stupid, but I chose the Evo9 because it definitely felt faster than a stock STi. The powerband on the STi is linear, while the Evo comes alive around 3500rpms which never gets old for me.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lexat20
not sure where you're at im in naperville. I'll give you a test ride, note: not drive, in my 300 hp evo. I bet I can make you change your mind.
I would love that man. Im from Addison. I go to school in the city though. Do you ever come down here?
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by _EVOled_
I would love that man. Im from Addison. I go to school in the city though. Do you ever come down here?
I'm in wood dale right now. Get done workin around 3 or 4 if you wanna meet up say the word.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Figure out what your needs are first as everyone has explained to you (long run vs. the now). You answered your own question, STI gives you the punch that you want straight outta the box; so go with.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

The STi (which I also owned a 04 STi) was probably tune with alot of torque. 300whp and probaly 348wtq. My prevoius STi was dyno at 298whp and 346wtq. So that probably what pushed you in the seat LOL. Now that I have my Evo I love it better than the STi.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

DUDE Just get an STI if you like it so much better than the EVO
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lexat20
I'm in wood dale right now. Get done workin around 3 or 4 if you wanna meet up say the word.
Hell yeah I would love to but Im stuck in the city right now at school until who knows when. My car is at home...
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MetalGear214
DUDE Just get an STI if you like it so much better than the EVO
DUDE...Read my first paragraph. I never said I like the STI so much better. I actually said I like the EVO so much more...
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Heyy...Just a little background information: I have been very set on purchasing an EVO (05 MR or 06 RS) as soon as my WRX sells. Coming from the Subaru world, Ive driven multiple modded WRX's and STi's. I was never in an modded EVO though until about a week or so ago...

I had an opportunity to take a ride in a 300whp 05 "GSR." We went around the block with multiple WOT pulls. It felt very different from the 300whp STi I was in. When the STi hit, the turbo hitting was very noticeable, stuck you to your seat HARD, and PULLED very hard. The EVO on the other hand didnt feel the same. It did not feel like that STi at all. I talked with the owner afterward and he said that it is because the hp is top end, not like the Subaru's low end. Im looking for that initial pounding into the back of your seat at 20 mph on. The EVO seemed to be missing thatI know Subarus arent known for top end. It seems like I like the low end more.

Should I be more interested in the Subaru then because I am not interested in higher speed accelleration but lower speed?? Or maybe did the driver really not go WOT or pushed it? Will 300whp feel the same in the STi as in the EVO? If not, what will the difference be. Im not sure what I want now...Thanks!
check out the new sti then
the evo maybe not for you
both cars , evo 9 / 06 sti are tops
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

Get the EVO then DOOD!
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:21 AM

my evo dosnt pull me back , i think it was the awd , and the car not dumping in the rear.. I love the feeling of my evo, go insanly fast around the track and feel like im on rails going 30 mph is the feeling when the speedo sais 50+
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Hell yeah I would love to but Im stuck in the city right now at school until who knows when. My car is at home...
My evo isn't going anywhere. When you have the time let me know.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rnm
Call me stupid, but I chose the Evo9 because it definitely felt faster than a stock STi. The powerband on the STi is linear, while the Evo comes alive around 3500rpms which never gets old for me.

+1 WTF is everyone talking about? 9's are quicker out of the box and there is no comparison on the "back in your seat feeling" between EVO and STI, you just can't compare that initial jerk a 3500 rpms. I've driven both (used to work for dealership) and i originally wanted the STI...big time, i love the look of it (05 of course) but when i drove the EVO it was just a diff animal, the way it got my adrenaline going was unreal, so i bought it! Go drive both, i garuntee you will see what i'm talking about... gl with choice, let us know what u decide
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
EVoled,

The STI is known to have instant torque instant turbo response(big displacement, fast spool up on small turbo) plus its 6 gear s would give you the impression that whenever you hit the gas it goes, so far so good and no problems.

The Evo kicks and kicks hard, rev it to the red line on each gear and you see what is capable of doing. On stock mode they are very equal but the moment you modd one and modd the other then you will see true difference.

I don't want to say the Evo is better neither the STI is better. Each car that you rode in is tuned specifically for each situation, even the sounds of each car can be deceiving/confusing.

The whp on the dyno is not a valid reference, there are many valuables to consider like maximum torque at especific rpm, whp curve, turbo spool etc, etc.

Do me a favor. Spend the next couple of days going back and forth in this specific sections:

braggin rights at www.nasioc.com
and drag racing at www.evolutionm.net

After you see/ read and get familiriarize with the info then make your decision.

This is just my summary:

There are about 3:1 ratio of Evos vs STIs running in the 9's,10's,11s and 12s
The ratio goes like 5:1 for each WRX that runs in the 12's vs the Evos
The STI MUST change the turbos to match the trap speeds of the stock Evo turbo
The STI have to change the turbo to match the huge dyno numbers on the stock Evo turbo
It takes roughly 1.5 -2.5 more money to mod an STI to match a Evo Performance

Do yourself that huge favor, read the two forums I gave you, I came from the Subaru family, spent $7000 on engine mods alone and only manage a 13.2@104 on my WRX and I am a heck of a driver (owned 11 turbo cars, 7 AWD cars and 20 plus other non turbo cars, raced two and 4 wheel vehicles, done hundreds of track passes for many many years).

Observed how people on Cobb 2 STI are stillin mid 13's while stock Evos are running flat 13s, observed how STI with $2000-$3000 are still in the mid 13's while the Evos are in the mid 12s for less than $1500..

At the end, you still get a heck of a car on the STI. Good luck!!

my .2c

Quick Reply: Hmm... I'm not going to lie. The EVO didnt impress me...