Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Hmm... I'm not going to lie. The EVO didnt impress me...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:39 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
When I test drove an Evo, I couldn't de-mod and sell my vf30'd WRX fast enough! Subarus are fun, but need substantial upgrades to move from stump pulling low end torque to real usable top end.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I myself came from a WRX and i traded my Evo for it, its the best decision i ever made!!! I had over 2k invested in my Subaru and i couldnt break into the high 12's...Evos have waaaaaaaaaaaay more potential than STI's. If you want to make the STI run 11's, you better have deep pockets
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I want the low end torque, I won't buy STI. buy V8 muscle and feel the strong tire shredding torque at instant just touching the gas pedal! I have to admit that Evo's power is there up too high. that is why I have the 264 intake cam to give some mid range power.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

...you made your decision after 1 experience in an Evo? Try other Evo's...maybe the guy was a bad driver or maybe somebody skipped gym a few times....i do agree with you that I was not impressed with the Evo either........ after driving a Ferrari
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

if what you really want is that "feel" of going fast, a mustang will suit you well. a 2 liter motor making that much power up top will not ever give you the torque feeling down low. that extra .5 liter the STi carries is what you're feeling
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Was the same dyno used to dyno each car .

Not all dyno are the same (ie "land and sea" dyno vs Mustang dyno.....)

300whp on one could be 210whp on the other
Old Feb 3, 2006, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BRKENG
I just can't stand that little toilet seat that Subaru put in the front...
LOL classic. Toilet seat!
Old Feb 3, 2006, 11:03 AM

the sti with the 2.5 motor has more low rpm torque and hp stock than the evo with the 2.0
so the sti feels faster, but when you start modding the evo grows into a beast for alot cheaper
Old Feb 3, 2006, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

It is just the way it feels not the performance. I drove my friends STI and I would have bet my life it would wipe my evo. We ended up racing and I beat him by at least 5 car lengths in 4th gear. He ended getting his car tuned and now it has a smoother feel to it like mine.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jred321
if what you really want is that "feel" of going fast, a mustang will suit you well. a 2 liter motor making that much power up top will not ever give you the torque feeling down low. that extra .5 liter the STi carries is what you're feeling
Exactly!
Old Feb 3, 2006, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

"_EVOled_", try driving an Evo for yourself. The view is much better from the driver's seat.

"lexat20", I'd let him drive your car.

"_EVOled_", if "lexat20" won't let you drive his car, then I recommend that you test drive a used, I repeat, USED, Evo at a dealership or some private owner's car.

Simply riding in a car that isn't being controlled by you and basing your buying decision or opinion on an '05 VIII that you simply rode in is premature.

"_EVOled_", were you at least in the front passenger seat when you took your inaugural ride? Please tell me that you weren't in the back seat or in a car with 3-5 people in it.

By the way, the Evo didn't meet all my expectations the first time a drove one. It was a used non-SSL '04 VIII with a few mods. It had almost 20K miles. It didn't have Advans. At the time I had a Neon SRT-4. Anyways, I was disappointed with the Evo's acceleration compared to my stock Neon SRT-4. I felt they were similar in this respect, but expected the Evo to clearly feel quicker. Furthermore, I didn't like the Evo's heavy turbo lag. The Neon's pull begins almost immediately from idle revs. However, I was very impressed with the Evo's performance parts - Momo, Recaro, Brembo, Enkei, and Advans. I loved the handling and steering feel. Overall, it was a much better car than the Neon. The Evo felt more solid, felt more of quality in performance and build. I wanted the Evo to clearly out accelerate my Neon. However, I didn't give up on the Evo merely over that. I saw the potential and decided to press on. Well, the '05 MR I test drove a few months later took care of the overwhelming turbo lag and my acceleration concern - night and day difference between the '04 VIII and '05 MR. I was overwhelmingly impressed with the MR. It knocked my socks off. When the details about the IXs came out, I knew it was definately time to get one.

With my IX, I have no regrets. I couldn't be happier. It is the car I wanted that non-SSL '04 VIII to be - during my inaugural ride in an Evo.

One more thing: had the IX not become reality, I'd be driving an VIII MR instead of my IX RS. Even without Mivec or the new turbo and other little bits, the '05 MR is still one hell-of-a car. I won't ever forget my test drive in one. The owner of this used car shop let me drive the thing by myself. The car just blew me away. It was that awesome and mindblowingly good.

Last edited by EVO X Owner-2-B; Feb 3, 2006 at 11:46 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 11:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Well, my Evo dynoed at 306/306 and it sucks me into my seat plenty good
Old Feb 3, 2006, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO X Owner-2-B
"_EVOled_", try driving an Evo for yourself. The view is much better from the driver's seat.

"lexat20", I'd let him drive your car.

"_EVOled_", if "lexat20" won't let you drive his car, then I recommend that you test drive a used, I repeat, USED, Evo at a dealership or some private owner's car.

Simply riding in a car that isn't being controlled by you and basing your buying decision or opinion on an '05 VIII that you simply rode in is premature.

"_EVOled_", were you at least in the front passenger seat when you took your inaugural ride? Please tell me that you weren't in the back seat or in a car with 3-5 people in it.

By the way, the Evo didn't meet all my expectations the first time a drove one. It was a used non-SSL '04 VIII with a few mods. It had almost 20K miles. It didn't have Advans. At the time I had a Neon SRT-4. Anyways, I was disappointed with the Evo's acceleration compared to my stock Neon SRT-4. I felt they were similar in this respect. Furthermore, I didn't like the Evo's heavy turbo lag. The Neon's pull begins almost immediately from idle revs. However, I was very impressed with the Evo's performance parts - Momo, Recaro, Brembo, Enkei, and Advans. I loved the handling and steering feel. Overall, it was a much better car than the Neon. The Evo felt more solid, felt more of quality in performance and build. I wanted the Evo to clearly out accelerate my Neon. I didn't give up on the Evo after that. I saw the potential and decided to press on. Well, the '05 MR I test drove a few months later took care of the overwhelming turbo lag and my acceleration concern - night and day difference between the '04 VIII and '05 MR. I was overwhelmingly impressed with the MR. It knocked my socks off. When the details about the IXs came out, I knew it was definately time to get one.

With my IX, I have no regrets. I couldn't be happier. It is the car I wanted that non-SSL '04 VIII to be.
I agree with everything you say except letting him drive my car. Yes that would be best for him. But rules are rules NO ONE DRIVES THE EVO BUT ME!!!
Old Feb 3, 2006, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AutobonEvo
i dunno i went for a ride in my buddies 315 horse power S4 and it sucked me in my seat HARD felt way faster then (at the time) my 300 hp evo. Every time we raced i beat him, but my evo didnt suck me back into the seat like the s4 did.
Maybe it felt that strong because you weren't driving. A car always feels stronger from the passenger seat for some reason, simply because you aren't in control. Plus, haven't you noticed when your girl or somebody else is in the passenger seat how they jerk all over the place when you are shifting, even under moderate acceleration? They have no idea when to brace, but you do.

If you are brave enough to let someone else drive your car and you ride shotgun, I bet your car will feel like a whole new animal.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lexat20
I agree with everything you say except letting him drive my car. Yes that would be best for him. But rules are rules NO ONE DRIVES THE EVO BUT ME!!!
Where's the trust, dude? Did someone do you wrong before? (chuckling)

Quick Reply: Hmm... I'm not going to lie. The EVO didnt impress me...