Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Hmm... I'm not going to lie. The EVO didnt impress me...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2006, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm... I'm not going to lie. The EVO didnt impress me...

Heyy...Just a little background information: I have been very set on purchasing an EVO (05 MR or 06 RS) as soon as my WRX sells. Coming from the Subaru world, Ive driven multiple modded WRX's and STi's. I was never in an modded EVO though until about a week or so ago...

I had an opportunity to take a ride in a 300whp 05 "GSR." We went around the block with multiple WOT pulls. It felt very different from the 300whp STi I was in. When the STi hit, the turbo hitting was very noticeable, stuck you to your seat HARD, and PULLED very hard. The EVO on the other hand didnt feel the same. It did not feel like that STi at all. I talked with the owner afterward and he said that it is because the hp is top end, not like the Subaru's low end. Im looking for that initial pounding into the back of your seat at 20 mph on. The EVO seemed to be missing thatI know Subarus arent known for top end. It seems like I like the low end more.

Should I be more interested in the Subaru then because I am not interested in higher speed accelleration but lower speed?? Or maybe did the driver really not go WOT or pushed it? Will 300whp feel the same in the STi as in the EVO? If not, what will the difference be. Im not sure what I want now...Thanks!
Old Feb 3, 2006, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Than buy an STI. If you want to go past 300 WHP have your check book ready, the STI is not any where near as capable (especially vs the 9 rs). Both sweet cars though.
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Evo is easier to mod than the STI, and will get you fast results. If you aren't going to mod I'd buy the STI. If you are, EVO.
Evolved Member

GB2STi

Brand Loyalty :B Stick with an STi .. just because something feels a different way dosnt nes mean its faster .. Smooth is fast
Old Feb 3, 2006, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

i dunno i went for a ride in my buddies 315 horse power S4 and it sucked me in my seat HARD felt way faster then (at the time) my 300 hp evo. Every time we raced i beat him, but my evo didnt suck me back into the seat like the s4 did. Good luck hope you figure it out, im sure youll be stoked on either choice.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

I test drove:

RX8
Eclipse
Mazda speed6
Evo
STI

I have owned, Turbo AWD Legacy, UK300 Impreza, and have a 2.5 Turbo Outback sitting on the drive....

I'm buying a RS
Old Feb 3, 2006, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah thanks guys...I really like the EVO still because of its potential in the long run but im still just confused on that. Will 300whp feel different in the STi compared to the EVO?
Old Feb 3, 2006, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

yeah it will because every car pulls different.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

not sure where you're at im in naperville. I'll give you a test ride, note: not drive, in my 300 hp evo. I bet I can make you change your mind.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by _EVOled_
Heyy...Just a little background information: I have been very set on purchasing an EVO (05 MR or 06 RS) as soon as my WRX sells. Coming from the Subaru world, Ive driven multiple modded WRX's and STi's. I was never in an modded EVO though until about a week or so ago...

I had an opportunity to take a ride in a 300whp 05 "GSR." We went around the block with multiple WOT pulls. It felt very different from the 300whp STi I was in. When the STi hit, the turbo hitting was very noticeable, stuck you to your seat HARD, and PULLED very hard. The EVO on the other hand didnt feel the same. It did not feel like that STi at all. I talked with the owner afterward and he said that it is because the hp is top end, not like the Subaru's low end. Im looking for that initial pounding into the back of your seat at 20 mph on. The EVO seemed to be missing thatI know Subarus arent known for top end. It seems like I like the low end more.

Should I be more interested in the Subaru then because I am not interested in higher speed accelleration but lower speed?? Or maybe did the driver really not go WOT or pushed it? Will 300whp feel the same in the STi as in the EVO? If not, what will the difference be. Im not sure what I want now...Thanks!
You have to drive Evo/STI back to back and stock to stock. No telling what is going on with that guys car. You need a "feel" for a stock Evo baseline before you can form a general opinion in relation to another car. Then drive several modded Evos with various different levels of power and suspension mods and get a feel for how the car changed from stock.
Evolving Member

"Hmm... I'm not going to lie. The EVO didnt impress me... "

TOMMY B

RALLY ON //////////////

If you plan on driving below the 50 mph speed limit all day long then buy the STI. It seems like a much more fun car to drive at that range of speed. Do whatever makes you happy. Good luck.
Former Vendor

i hope that isnt your only reason for not liking the evo.. if so dont buy an evo.

or maybe the evo wasnt tuned right..
Old Feb 3, 2006, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Are you sure the Evo was running right? I would get another ride in a different Evo or better yet go test drive one.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

My friend has an STi
I have an EVO.
I've driven both. Your giving up some handling with the STi. To me handling is very important. I have been in his car when he punches it, and in my car on a launch...(around 4300RPM) . I could barely hold on to the steering wheel. Out of the box(stock), his car definitely had the "seat of the pants" edge. However, if your modding, and modding heavily, the EVO will pay dividends. There are alot of things you can do to get more low end HP and torque.

I just saw an 06 STi painted with the yellow Subaru logo's, I have to say it looked pretty sharp. Other than that toilet seat they put up front...Looks like a damn Studabaker. I just can't stand that little toilet seat that Subaru put in the front... Its sad really, I'd go with the 03-05 look personally.....

If you plan on keeping her stock and you want a more immediate "seat of the pants" feel. Go with the Subi. If you want more aggressive handling and a little less "seat of the pants" go EVO.

Of course I am impartial...But I am trying to stay objective hehehe

Tim

Quick Reply: Hmm... I'm not going to lie. The EVO didnt impress me...