Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Satelite radio ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2006, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the sirius (rock on Howard!) The xact unit, FM modulated with stock deck, antenna routed on the rear deck inside the car. Sounds great.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 02:57 PM

I love it, I mounted mine on the trunk. I will scratch if you move it too much. Good luck.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

I put my antenna on top of the moonroof sliding cover, right at the front of it. Works great. Right behind the grab handle it is metal so the antenna stuck like glue.

Installed the radio in the glove box and hard wired it.

You can't even tell from the outside that there's Howard 100 runnin' inside!
Old Feb 4, 2006, 04:21 AM
Evolving Member

I wanted to my install to easily be removeable with minimal cutting/drilling of my Evo. Here's what I did.
Attached Thumbnails Satelite radio ?-dcp_0002.jpg   Satelite radio ?-dcp_0004.jpg   Satelite radio ?-dcp_0013.jpg   Satelite radio ?-dcp_0014.jpg  
Old Feb 4, 2006, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

I was thinking about installing the sirius antenna on the dash but someone else on here said something about setting it up on the rear deck where the speaker are which seem like a good idea 2. I didnt want to mount it on the roof or trunk because the paint on our cars are crap and didnt wanna chance screwing it up
Old Feb 4, 2006, 08:26 AM

I installed a Pioneer head unit in my evo, then hooked up the Sirius decoder box. I installed the box under my passenger seat, ran the wire to the headunit under the carpet by the transmission tunnel. I utilized a factory pre-made hole in the carpet under the passenger seat to run the power wire and the antenna wire to the passenger side door sill. (removed that) Then I tapped a wire running under the door sill, and ran the antenna back to the trunk area by going along the front and rear passenger side door sills, then under the back seat and into the trunk.

One thing to be cautious of- Don't tap into a "thick" yellow wire in the wire bundle on the passenger side. It may seem to be the perfect tap (only comes on when engine is on, etc) but- it's in fact a wire for the SRS Airbag system. If you tap into it- the SRS warning light on the dash will appear and only be turned off by the dealer. (it thinks there is an electrical problem due to the tapping) You cannot do the unhook-battery method- nor can you use an OBDII code reader/remover tool.

-Nixx
Old Feb 4, 2006, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by byron3636
Im' installing mine next week. have anyone installed the "Sirius SIR-ALP1 Satellite Radio for 2004-up Alpine " sirius tuner box yet? I didn't search for it yet, but since this thread popped up I thought I'd see where others were mounting the tuner box.

I have one. The tuner box is mounted under the driver's seat so that I can draw the power from a wire run from the battery to the Kenwood subwoofer amplifier I already have there. The antenna is threaded to the back package shelf. Reception is pretty good, but heavily wooded areas interrupt the signal. I suppose it would better if I mounted the antenna externally, but I prefer to have it protected from the elements. One irritation is that my Alpine receiver (CDA-9825) loses the Sirius station presets at random intervals for no reason whatsover. FM presets are fine. It's a paint to re-progam the receiver for my favorite Sirius stations.

What surprises me is that we haven't seen more all-in-one XM or Sirius head units from the major manufacturers. I would think that they would be very popular as they are less of a hassle to hook up.

Last edited by Lee_K; Feb 4, 2006 at 11:55 AM.
Old Feb 4, 2006, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Sirius baby.

Took out that stupid stock antenna
Old Feb 4, 2006, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

here's mine on the rear deck, i came up with the antenna through the seatbelt hole because it was easier and i didn't have to take anything apart. i'm sure i could've gone through the speaker hole but it was cold when i did the install so i went with easy

and how it is mounted, my original plan was to go below the cubby in front of the ash tray which is why i got this slim unit but when i tried to get it there i realized i would need to cut a little bit to make it fit and didn't want to do that at the time. i figured that pocket is pretty much useless anyways since the lip is tiny and things just fly out of it, so i put it in there. i didn't have to cut/drill/change anything, so i like it. i'd like it better if it were hard wired but i don't use the lighter thing for anything else so i'm ok with it like this