Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

If I upgrade my clutch can I do 6k rpm dumps?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2006, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warrtalon,
Are you actually slipping the clutch a little before you side step it? I see you start to roll slightly before you hit it.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

I believe thats the prefered technique. Take all the slack out of the drive line and break inertia at a very low speed, than let the car go.

physics says there is less stress all around if the car has already broken initial intertia.. Then you can dump it and the car will just "go"
Old Feb 5, 2006, 12:37 PM
KY
Evolving Member

Can someone please define sidestepping and slipping for me?

I do 12k rpm dumps on the R1 and haven't had any problems yet. (J/K)
Old Feb 5, 2006, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

side stepping is sliding your foot off the side of the clutch allowing it to grab instantly and with a ton of grab, even more so that dumping it by pulling you leg up. your leg moves more slowly than just letting the pedal come up.

slipping is letting the clutch engage partially so that the car begins to roll, but is not fully engaged.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MBaran
side stepping is sliding your foot off the side of the clutch allowing it to grab instantly and with a ton of grab, even more so that dumping it by pulling you leg up. your leg moves more slowly than just letting the pedal come up.

slipping is letting the clutch engage partially so that the car begins to roll, but is not fully engaged.
sounds really confusing.. !!!
Old Feb 5, 2006, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SP00LIN
Warrtalon,
Are you actually slipping the clutch a little before you side step it? I see you start to roll slightly before you hit it.
Yes, this is what I mean by "letting out the drivetrain slack." The key is to do it without tripping the start lights before hammering it.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

sure then u can dump the rest of the tranny
Old Feb 5, 2006, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Yes, this is what I mean by "letting out the drivetrain slack." The key is to do it without tripping the start lights before hammering it.
So you stage deep? Meaning just enough to activated the stage lights.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

No staging deep is when you go farther in and a small movement will trip the lights. A shallow stage is where both lights just come on and I think this is what he means. When you deap stage, the top light often goes out. You are slightly closer to the finish line than someone that has staged normally, but your ET may be slower.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

This forum really a suprises me sometimes. I'm coming from the dsm community myself and on those forums there we some very knowledgable people. Obviously you'll get the amature driver here and there but for the most part everybody knew there stuff. Now I just bought my 05 gsr about 2 months ago but i'm still very knowledgable, hence owning a 2nd gen turbo dsm for 3 years. But why in gods name would anyone want to dump the clutch PERIOD in an awd car????? I owned a fwd dsm but I still knew that dumping the clutch is a no-no. I here people asking this very idiotic question all the time. I think this needs to be addressed to everyone asap. I don't want to be an *** but freshman year physics tells you that something has to give. We need a "how to drive forum" so the newbie's can save there evo from useless warranty work, or if the dealer was smart, out of pocket expenses.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Im also coming from DSMs, (1G), and dropping the clutch at 6 grand is simply stupid, unless your transmission is built. The stock drivetrain is not that strong, and will eventually break. DSM transmissions are cheap, EVO trannies are NOT. Side-stepping causes way too much shock to the gears/axles/xfer-case/drive-shaft/differentials. Unless you can afford to rebuild or replace all of these things, DO NOT DO IT.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think you are asking for throuble, I wouldn't buy a clutch so that I can launch at 6000rpm.

Just to ilustrate things better, my car per instance gives me 364lbs/tq at just over 3700rpm, if I take my car to 6000rpm not only my tq decresases but the stress is much greater for the clutch. You can still do some nice launches at much lesser RPM and keep the "reliability".

I would only worry to get a very strong clutch if you really go to the trackofetn and if you have the power for it otherwise a much lesser clutch could also do the job.

my.2c
Old Feb 5, 2006, 06:15 PM

depends on what tires you use, the stickier they are the more things you will break
Old Feb 5, 2006, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

No You Will Have Big Problems
Old Feb 5, 2006, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

You're making a lot more power just prior to release when you're using the two-step because you're building boost. It's different than reving to 4k, 5k or 6k and holding it there.

I can't see anything wrong with Warrtalon's launch video because he's no longer standing still prior to side stepping the clutch. The shock to the transfer case isn't as bad as if he were standing still.