Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

If I upgrade my clutch can I do 6k rpm dumps?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2006, 08:33 AM
KY
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I upgrade my clutch can I do 6k rpm dumps?

I have the 2-step on my ecu from Dynoflash Al and I want to try it at the track, but I am afraid of breaking my clutch. I was told that even after I change my clutch doing these high rpm launches will damage other components as well. Is this true? I was thinking about going with the ACT 2600.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your new clutch may last but your Transfer case won't unless you have some wheel spin. My 03 Evo blew two transfercases. One on stock clutch stock car one on HKS 3037s turbo and Exedy Twin plate.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

ky, i would recommend 5-5.5k with stock turbo. 6k is going to boil your tires and wheel hop is what destroys your tc.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Launching is the same at 6K with or without the launch control. The only difference is that the launch control holds it at 6 until you're ready. If you don't know how to correctly launch with the clutch, it will break either way! In other words, you don't need launch control to launch at 6K, it just makes it easier...

Also, the clutch is purposely weak to protect other aspects of the drivetrain. It's kind of like a fuse, meant to give out first before the more $$$ parts. If you upgrade it, that part will hold better, but it WILL put more stress on other parts. You are correct to be concerned, and I'd recommend finding a friend's old manual car and practicing high-rev clutch engagement on it first...
Old Feb 5, 2006, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nesiop
Your new clutch may last but your Transfer case won't unless you have some wheel spin. My 03 Evo blew two transfercases. One on stock clutch stock car one on HKS 3037s turbo and Exedy Twin plate.
I had an ACT street disc on my 03 EVO and was getting some 1.6x 60 foot times on heavy 19" wheels that created some nasty wheel hop. The wheel hop was bad, it destroyed my t-case and damaged my rear diff.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by SterlingEvo
Launching is the same at 6K with or without the launch control. The only difference is that the launch control holds it at 6 until you're ready. If you don't know how to correctly launch with the clutch, it will break either way! In other words, you don't need launch control to launch at 6K, it just makes it easier...
without launch control, you can rev it to 6k but there is no boost...
with launch control, you are actually building boost, making it a lot faster out of the hole.(also a lot easier to kill tc and what nots)
Old Feb 5, 2006, 09:09 AM
KY
Evolving Member

So if I learn how to lauch correctly without wheel hop I am safe?
Old Feb 5, 2006, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

NO

If you upgrade the clutch you will proceed down the chain of failures to the next weakest link. Next would probably be the T/C which will set you back a bunch of $$$. The evo and it's awd system wasn't designed to do 6k rpm dumps...
Old Feb 5, 2006, 09:32 AM
Former Vendor

learn to slip the clutch first..
Old Feb 5, 2006, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

The best thing to do launching is to get the car rolling just a little bit before dumping the clutch and putting the throttle to the floor. The initial force form a strand still launch is what kills the drivetrain.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

id rather have a cheap weak link than a 2-3k weak link. i dont drop my clutch on any awd car, to much stress for my daily driver.

when your t/c fails you can do 12k dumps on your R1.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KY
I have the 2-step on my ecu from Dynoflash Al and I want to try it at the track, but I am afraid of breaking my clutch. I was told that even after I change my clutch doing these high rpm launches will damage other components as well. Is this true? I was thinking about going with the ACT 2600.
Don't dump. This is how you do it:

6k without launch control:

Warrtalon's 12.000

6k WITH launch control:

Dynoflash 2-Step Launch Control

Let out the drivetrain slack before sidestepping the clutch.

Last edited by Warrtalon; Feb 5, 2006 at 11:05 AM.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by poohlvhun
without launch control, you can rev it to 6k but there is no boost...
with launch control, you are actually building boost, making it a lot faster out of the hole.(also a lot easier to kill tc and what nots)
good point. I forgot about that. I build about 11psi with my 2 step according to my autometer... So yeah, more likely to do some damage...
Old Feb 5, 2006, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

W-talon, your second link isn't working. I'd like to see it.

I took my car to the track two days ago and tried some 6k two-step launches. My last launch had so much boost and power built up that I started spinning the tires and blew the i/c hose off the intake manifold. Scared the bejesus out of me!

I never side step the clutch. I just let it out quickly. But I do agree that it's important to let out the drivetrain slack first.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SP00LIN
W-talon, your second link isn't working. I'd like to see it.

I took my car to the track two days ago and tried some 6k two-step launches. My last launch had so much boost and power built up that I started spinning the tires and blew the i/c hose off the intake manifold. Scared the bejesus out of me!

I never side step the clutch. I just let it out quickly. But I do agree that it's important to let out the drivetrain slack first.
Fixed.