Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo 9 at Gymkhana event video

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2006, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That was hilarious. I think the guy was just having some fun.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

About that second video.... In out track there is a lot of skill involved, as trinydex said we hardly do 60mpm in that track, the previous records in our style of Gymkana were done by MR2's and CRX's. There were a few STis with bigger turbos before but there is no way they can hit full boost on that track, a small CRX Si 1.5L was the fastest with 55.2 until last event! The silver EVO on that video runs 12.1 on the quarter mile and has 340whp on 93oct and it was slower that the red EVO that was stock. Skills is more impotant than power on that kind of track. We are using the Solo1 rules on that small track, thats why you see a few cars at the same time and sometimes they catch up. Because is not really road race or Solo1, they opted for the name, Gymkana.

Also, the record of 55.0 for that track is for street cars! They did a few laps with a EVO VIII prepared for road racing and it did 51 seconds without never ever seeing the track before! And the fastest of all time was a Viper GTS that did it in 50 seconds!

Ohh, also, next month should be the next race on that track and they are doing a EVO vs WRX on that track! That should be interesting! Ill post the video after the event!

Last edited by The_Predat0r; Feb 13, 2006 at 09:39 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by the4thpower3
^ that last one looks like regular road race.
what exactly is the defenition of gymkhana?
i thought is was more like auto-x, racing though cones for fastest time.
Well, it's like a slalom type thing. Usually involves an empty piece of tarmac and cones. Lots and lots of cones arranged in a manner which forms a really twisty route with virtually no straight bits. [the ones i've been to are really twisty, one really tight corner going into another] .The one in the first vid seems odd that it actually has straights. You go one car at a time and its timed. I think you get a penalty if you hit a cone or something. The skills involved are mainly the ability to do handbrake turns, remembering where the heck you're supposed to be pointing and generally move your hands really fast. There were quite a number of events around here a while ago but seems to have died out. Inexplicably, there always seemed to be an unusually large number of hot girls at these events which meant that making an ar$e of yourself by forgetting the route was a fate worse than death.

Evo's to my mind aren't the most effective tools for it, Sti are better in this aspect because of their greater agility. They do have divisions I think but the quickest cars around these things are probably something really small and rwd with lots of power - the Elise /Exige would be most interesting...

Last edited by x838nwy; Feb 13, 2006 at 09:33 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 10:56 AM

That one the funnest video I seen in a while! I'm loving the way he got air at the end. Are Jumps part of the course? He did it with such conviction that It must have been intentional.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

lol i agree it's hilarious. =P Acing my bio midterm AND watching this has made my day. haahaha
Old Feb 13, 2006, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by x838nwy
It does take an amount of skill to do what the guy did. However, if he doesn't insist in pinning the throttle to the floor all the time and actually direct the car in the general direction in which the track leads, he would go around the track a lot quicker. It looks very spectacular, but probably much slower than what can be done. Perhaps it was just for show...
yeah definitely slow... i wasn't sayin' he was fast hahahaha.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Predat0r
About that second video.... In out track there is a lot of skill involved, as trinydex said we hardly do 60mpm in that track, the previous records in our style of Gymkana were done by MR2's and CRX's. There were a few STis with bigger turbos before but there is no way they can hit full boost on that track, a small CRX Si 1.5L was the fastest with 55.2 until last event! The silver EVO on that video runs 12.1 on the quarter mile and has 340whp on 93oct and it was slower that the red EVO that was stock. Skills is more impotant than power on that kind of track. We are using the Solo1 rules on that small track, thats why you see a few cars at the same time and sometimes they catch up. Because is not really road race or Solo1, they opted for the name, Gymkana.

Also, the record of 55.0 for that track is for street cars! They did a few laps with a EVO VIII prepared for road racing and it did 51 seconds without never ever seeing the track before! And the fastest of all time was a Viper GTS that did it in 50 seconds!

Ohh, also, next month should be the next race on that track and they are doing a EVO vs WRX on that track! That should be interesting! Ill post the video after the event!
hmmm... very interesting... keept it up i wanna see more...
Old Feb 17, 2006, 11:50 AM

This is real Gymkhana: http://c-racing.web.infoseek.co.jp/index2.html
Old Feb 17, 2006, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

where the hell did he fly off too?????????
Old Feb 17, 2006, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

aww stock clutch got to love it.

anybody can do this just keep your foot on the gas the hole time even when shifting.