Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Test drove EVOIX coming from 8

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2006, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3000ways
Maybe the IX you saw dynoed only 5 to 10WHP higher, but others have hit numbers much higher, like 15-20WHP. Not all IXs are the same, but there are some that are making a noticeable difference in power.
there's no doubt that the 9 responds to mods better than the 8... but stock vs. stock, it gerenally dynoed 5-10 more whp on a mustang dyno. i've witnessed 2 stock 9s that dynoed around 220. well, every dyno is different, it depends which one you go by.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 08:13 PM

i love my evo ix......
Old Feb 7, 2006, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Az3ar
I come from a 350 WHP EVO so I thought I would be a bit disappointed but honestly the 9 felt very very fast and pulled to the redline very rapidly.

The turbo spooled quick not as quick as my 8 (I have mods) but EVO9 was crisp and the throttle response was great.
Thank you for your review and for helping me remember why I NEVER buy a new car with more than 3 or 4 miles on the odometer.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CICreations
Thank you for your review and for helping me remember why I NEVER buy a new car with more than 3 or 4 miles on the odometer.

so you never test drove the EVO before you bought it? and if you did you did not boost it at all right?

In fact I wormed her up for 15 minutes and did not push it until I had her ready. the sales guy asked me why I am not pushing it?

Like my father used to say" son, no matter how hard you try or say you will always find the little weasels around"

Last edited by Az3ar; Feb 8, 2006 at 02:11 PM.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

bought mine with 2 miles... baby
Old Feb 8, 2006, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Former modded 03 owner... I've testdrove 3 new Evo IX's. I agree it pulls a lot harder stock, it also responds very well to light mods according to forums.

Interior - new seats; that's it. That slapped on that CF dash strip, but most of us bought that aftermarket anyways.

Engine: Mivec changes - that's why it feels peppier. Plus there's a bigger 'hotside' I think.

It still likes to die in the upper rpm's because of the boost dwindling. Of course, any tune will solve that issue just like before I'm sure.

Drove 2 MR's (of the 3 IX's I've driven). Still can't figure out why people pony up the extra $$ for them. The brakes didn't seem grippy enough, maybe because they weren't broken in yet as the car only had like 12 miles on it. The 6sp gearbox is close, but the stock shiftknob is almost too big.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

eh, whatever. there's no proof that a tender and sensitive breakin period is any better than a good old *** raping from mile one.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 02:31 PM

dunno, maybe 5~ 10 WHP as peak but I am sure it has serious power under the curve. Plus the sales guy (which was very nice) told me that the water lines inside the block are different than the 8. they are redesigned and that makes her more **** to detonation.. Can some one confirm on this?
It's not the block it's the head. Here's a link to the official Mitsubishi tech article, and the salient paragraph:

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/deta...60523&mime=ASC

Several mechanical revisions help the Lancer Evolution attain its level of performance and improve durability. The use of MIVEC system on the engine necessitated a revised cylinder head casting. The casting's cooling passages have been revised for improved durability and the tempering process was also improved. The cylinder head uses longer-reach sparkplugs that help control combustion chamber temperatures. A five-layer metal head gasket design with revised coolant passage holes replaces the three-layer metal unit to better withstand the engine's elevated, forced induction fed cylinder pressures. The pistons in the Lancer Evolution are made of a stronger alloy and are sealed to the cylinder wall using a more efficient two-piece ring package, replacing the previous three-piece ringset. This revised ring arrangement helps reduce the engine's oil consumption by 10 percent. A new bell housing cover made of a vibration dampening steel was employed to help reduce exterior noise. A new design cast magnesium valve cover highlighting the engine's MIVEC feature is also new for 2006. A revised fuel pump with 7 percent higher capacity also appears in the Lancer Evolution along with a redesigned muffler that enhances the exhaust note at low to mid-range engine speeds.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nubby
It's not the block it's the head. Here's a link to the official Mitsubishi tech article, and the salient paragraph:

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/deta...60523&mime=ASC

Several mechanical revisions help the Lancer Evolution attain its level of performance and improve durability. The use of MIVEC system on the engine necessitated a revised cylinder head casting. The casting's cooling passages have been revised for improved durability and the tempering process was also improved. The cylinder head uses longer-reach sparkplugs that help control combustion chamber temperatures. A five-layer metal head gasket design with revised coolant passage holes replaces the three-layer metal unit to better withstand the engine's elevated, forced induction fed cylinder pressures. The pistons in the Lancer Evolution are made of a stronger alloy and are sealed to the cylinder wall using a more efficient two-piece ring package, replacing the previous three-piece ringset. This revised ring arrangement helps reduce the engine's oil consumption by 10 percent. A new bell housing cover made of a vibration dampening steel was employed to help reduce exterior noise. A new design cast magnesium valve cover highlighting the engine's MIVEC feature is also new for 2006. A revised fuel pump with 7 percent higher capacity also appears in the Lancer Evolution along with a redesigned muffler that enhances the exhaust note at low to mid-range engine speeds.

sweet
Old Feb 12, 2006, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

so you never test drove the EVO before you bought it? and if you did you did not boost it at all right?

In fact I wormed her up for 15 minutes and did not push it until I had her ready. the sales guy asked me why I am not pushing it?

Like my father used to say" son, no matter how hard you try or say you will always find the little weasels around"
Actually I went and traded my 03 in on a new 06 Evo GSR GG, and no I didn't test drive it. Didnt' need to. I have a hard time believing that anybody with a previous model year Evo desides to go test drive a new Evo "just to see if it's any better then the theirs". There is either a strong intention to buy a new one or just somebody wanting to joy ride. The Evo I picked up still had plastics on the seats and floor boards and had been driven from the truck to the back lot. The fact that the dealer was telling you not to baby the car is not good. What dealership was this? You should post the name so that guys know that they are letting people test drive their Evos.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Actually I went and traded my 03 in on a new 06 Evo GSR GG, and no I didn't test drive it. Didnt' need to. I have a hard time believing that anybody with a previous model year Evo desides to go test drive a new Evo "just to see if it's any better then the theirs". There is either a strong intention to buy a new one or just somebody wanting to joy ride. The Evo I picked up still had plastics on the seats and floor boards and had been driven from the truck to the back lot. The fact that the dealer was telling you not to baby the car is not good. What dealership was this? You should post the name so that guys know that they are letting people test drive their Evos.
YAY lets cut there heads now since i reved the EVO. Just because you believe in slow break in period does not mean its right. in fact if you search and read you should push her on the first few miles.

So did you test drove EVO 03 when you got it? or you did not want ?to
Old Feb 15, 2006, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Nope never actually test drove either one of my Evo's when I bought them. Didn't need to.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

As smooth as the S2000? Those are the best transmissions I have ever felt! :O
Old Feb 16, 2006, 10:36 PM

that good huh? my biggest dislike on the 8 is it sucks on long drives when its a bumpy, straight freeway.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

i came to an evo ix from a wrx

hahaha