Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Test drove EVOIX coming from 8

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2006, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Test drove EVOIX coming from 8

Well it was better than what I have thought it would be. Mitsu have gone a long way. When I drove my friend MR8 I was not very impressed it was very very close to the 8 in many ways but when i drove the 9 today I felt real power for stock car. the car pulled very smoothly and it was torqey, I loved it. I come from a 350 WHP EVO so I thought I would be a bit disappointed but honestly the 9 felt very very fast and pulled to the redline very rapidly.

Let me point out everything so it will help future buyers.

EVO IX
Interior: seats are very nice, dash looks a bit better made. over all there was not much differences there but it was better built than the 8 and more refined.

Exterior: EVO9 looks better than the 8 period. I cant add anything here.

Tranny: this thing shifted as well as my S2000. no clunk and very smooth shifting even at very high RPM. Mitsu have fixed that tranny.

Engine: they say it 287HP but I say its no less than 325~330HP. this thing pulled very hard and it was very predictable. The turbo spooled quick not as quick as my 8 (I have mods) but EVO9 was crisp and the throttle response was great.

Handling: don’t know why but it felt softer than my 8 although its the same suspension head to toes... maybe the changed the bushings on the 9???

Anyways, this is unbiased review as I still did not get one and I might not even buy it. still thinking about it although I got a golden deal.

Great car Mitsu have hit the spot with this one.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's a big improvement from the 03's
Old Feb 6, 2006, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Very glad I ordered mine
Old Feb 6, 2006, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
did u test drive the mr or gsr
Old Feb 6, 2006, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by alby988
did u test drive the mr or gsr

gsr... no sun, no leather and no sound... the lightest after the RS. I believe its faster than the MR.

RS is the fastest.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Az3ar
Well it was better than what I have thought it would be. Mitsu have gone a long way. When I drove my friend MR8 I was not very impressed it was very very close to the 8 in many ways but when i drove the 9 today I felt real power for stock car. the car pulled very smoothly and it was torqey, I loved it. I come from a 350 WHP EVO so I thought I would be a bit disappointed but honestly the 9 felt very very fast and pulled to the redline very rapidly.

Let me point out everything so it will help future buyers.

EVO IX
Interior: seats are very nice, dash looks a bit better made. over all there was not much differences there but it was better built than the 8 and more refined.

Exterior: EVO9 looks better than the 8 period. I cant add anything here.

Tranny: this thing shifted as well as my S2000. no clunk and very smooth shifting even at very high RPM. Mitsu have fixed that tranny.

Engine: they say it 287HP but I say its no less than 325~330HP. this thing pulled very hard and it was very predictable. The turbo spooled quick not as quick as my 8 (I have mods) but EVO9 was crisp and the throttle response was great.

Handling: don’t know why but it felt softer than my 8 although its the same suspension head to toes... maybe the changed the bushings on the 9???

Anyways, this is unbiased review as I still did not get one and I might not even buy it. still thinking about it although I got a golden deal.

Great car Mitsu have hit the spot with this one.
so u fucted it up for the next sap who buys it? there is something called a grace period.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 06:02 PM

gsr... no sun, no leather and no sound... the lightest after the RS. I believe its faster than the MR.

RS is the fastest.
how is the gsr lighter than the mr when the mr has the aluminum roof?
Old Feb 6, 2006, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Turbolover
so u fucted it up for the next sap who buys it? there is something called a grace period.

Grow up, the car had 400 miles on it. It was a test mule. they drive it until 2k then sell them for cheaper price.

No I did not **** it up. I did not lanuch it nor I abused it. I am a serious buyer not a kid. I am not paying 30K to take a look at it.

I would even go and buy the same one if they give a special on it.

in case you dont know their are 2 ways to break in a car.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by purplegodzilla

dont know but according to mitsu site it is. The MR is heavy for some reason!!!

The roof is not much lighter it was something like 20 LBS!!! not sure
Old Feb 6, 2006, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by purplegodzilla
6spd transmission is heavier than the 5spd. the aluminum saves only 8lbs on top.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RTS EVO VIII
6spd transmission is heavier than the 5spd. the aluminum saves only 8lbs on top.
Thats why then... I was wondering.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
just a few pointers...

interior is the same ... all that is changed is the steering wheel is black vs silver and they have a carbon fiber strip...oh...and the different recaros...

exterior difference: silly rims, front bumper, headlights and tails... not that much different

main diff is the engine....the power
Old Feb 6, 2006, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

EVO IX
How was it better built/made and more refined? Isn't it basically identical other than some color changes to the steering wheel spokes, carbon fiber accents on the dash, and the seat stitching?
Old Feb 6, 2006, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Yodobashi
How was it better built/made and more refined? Isn't it basically identical other than some color changes to the steering wheel spokes, carbon fiber accents on the dash, and the seat stitching?

Don’t know, but the carbon strip might have added the more expensive look. the seats are very nice, they are way nicer than the 8 trust me. The dash did not look as the 8 material.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evoryder
just a few pointers...

interior is the same ... all that is changed is the steering wheel is black vs silver and they have a carbon fiber strip...oh...and the different recaros...

exterior difference: silly rims, front bumper, headlights and tails... not that much different

main diff is the engine....the power
alot of people felt that the 9 pulled "alot" harder then the 8 but failed to realized that the shorter gear ratios (3rd & 4th) on the 9. stock vs. stock, the 9 only dynoed around 5-10whp more than the '05's 8 (mustang dyno).