Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Vacuum Tubing and lost power?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2003, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vacuum Tubing and lost power?

So I decided to pass by the Cville Mitsu today to check out their white Evo. Not bad! I still like my blue though. Also some guys with souped up Hondas dropped by cuz they saw my car turn into the dealership. The usual round of compliments went about, then showed them the engine bay etc., you know the deal.

Also ran into some guy there who does some tuning down in Harrisonburg, VA, if anyone knows. He's waiting for a White Evo from his dealership there too. Told him the white one in Cville was up for grabs but I seems he has a good relationship with the dealer there so he's gonna wait it out.

I also don't quite remember, but he also mentioned he had worked with Tom Dorris (I think) but anyway, here's the kicker. He said something about how swapping one or two of the vacuum tubes would let our USDM Evo's regain the full power of the JDM Evo's. I have no clue how or where the vacuum tubes are, so if anyone knows how they work, is there any truth to that??

Well, sure was an interesting sunday. What was going to just be a picture taking session turned out to be a let's stare and gawk at the Evo for awhile in the freezing cold. Yes, it snowed a couple inches in Cville today, despite being around 70 or 80 the day before. I hate valley weather.
Old Mar 30, 2003, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

I imagine you could maintain max boost by capping off the vacuum line which in turn would produce more power at high rpms. It may even up the boost 1 or 2 psi. This worked on the Twin Turbo Supras MKIV. I don't know what would happen with the Evo. It's something I was waiting to see if anyone else tried. I imagine once someone gets a boost guage to monitor it that they might try it.
Old Mar 30, 2003, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

i can't believe you insulted an evo by taking it's pic w/ that dogged ugly *** honda.

but you your's looks sweet good luck w/ that and i think iam partial to the white.
Old Mar 30, 2003, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Does the JDM lose as much power as we do at higher RPM's? If it does, then I suppose there is possibility that something like this might have some truth to it. 30-40 missing horses is pretty significant in near identical parts. ECU aside, maybe we'll find other small things too.
Old Mar 30, 2003, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

I used to live in C'ville. Colonial Auto Center called me 2 days ago to tell me about that exact White car they have (in your pics). Its too bad I moved to Texas and bought my white Evo last Monday, or it might have been sold by now.
Let me know who you are talking about for the tuning. My friend owns a shop in Weyers Cave up close to Harrisonburg.
I might make a trip to VA in the late summer, but I'm not sure yet.

As far as the vacuum tubes, I am not sure unless you pulled the wastegate tube, which would be a bit dangersous.
Old Mar 30, 2003, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by TearItUpSports
I used to live in C'ville. Colonial Auto Center called me 2 days ago to tell me about that exact White car they have (in your pics). Its too bad I moved to Texas and bought my white Evo last Monday, or it might have been sold by now.
Let me know who you are talking about for the tuning. My friend owns a shop in Weyers Cave up close to Harrisonburg.
I might make a trip to VA in the late summer, but I'm not sure yet.

As far as the vacuum tubes, I am not sure unless you pulled the wastegate tube, which would be a bit dangersous.
Yeah, I had actually stopped by Colonial a couple months ago to ask about their allocation, but white was all they had coming in as far as they knew, so I didn't leave a deposit. They called me as well two days ago, to let me know the white one was in. I had to tell them I already picked up my blue last week though. White would have been a close second choice for me though.

I actually don't know the name of the guy. He happened to be looking at the white Evo as I pulled in the lot. Never exchanged names or anything else. He was maybe like 5'7" or so, orange hair and had a lot of facial hair. All I remember is that he said he works on DSMs a lot, and helped build this one guy's car, Ian Saul or something, and he's in the UVa car club. IIRC, he also mentioned he had Mirage with an EvoIII engine in it, and also had two other DSMs.
Old Mar 31, 2003, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Re: Vacuum Tubing and lost power?

Originally posted by Claudius

Yeah, there's a little "grommet" in the piping which, if removed, will slightly increase boost (by about 2 PSI) but that's on all Evos and has nothing to do with JDM or whatever. Leave it where it is, dont mess with it, you may get fuel cuts.
I'd be really surprised if there was a fuel cut on the Evo. It's pushing 19psi! stock. The turbo won't get much more than that out of it so I imagine there isn't one. On the Supra it cuts at 14psi but it only puts out 11 stock. Hmm something to test out =)
Old Mar 31, 2003, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Fuel cut has to do with the MAS and how much air is coming into it. Its not directly related to boost pressure.
What you are saying is that the Supra's MAS can not read as much flow as the Evo's MAS.
Old Mar 31, 2003, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by TearItUpSports
Fuel cut has to do with the MAS and how much air is coming into it. Its not directly related to boost pressure.
What you are saying is that the Supra's MAS can not read as much flow as the Evo's MAS.
If the MAS can't read as much then I assume you mean it's not programmed to read as much. Because with a fuel cut defencer which I had I cranked the boost up to 21psi with it holding around 20psi on the stock turbos and using the stock MAS. So the Evo's MAS is not better than the Supra it's just programmed to allow more air due to the smaller displacement of the engine.
It's just a safety valve feature in cars to prevent engine damage.

I hit fuel cut in the Supra at about 14.4psi btw.