Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

VW people giving me hard time

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2006, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vwjeff
Alot of these guys are good friends and all they want to do is give me a really hard time. I posted a video of the AMS Evo that I "THINK" this past weekend set a new record. At any rate the last video I seen of the car it was at like 640 wheel, and now it like 932. They are saying the motor is short lived
they are jealous
Old Feb 12, 2006, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by milo
I have owned a R32 and currently driving a EVO 9 MR, I have no regret about ditching the R32. Mostly all the VW owners was hating on my new EVO 9 MR, but at the end of the day...my EVO will destroy the R32 in all aspect of performance.
nice upgrade , i see alot of vw owners switching to the evo
Old Feb 12, 2006, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Gabriel J
They don't know what they are missing....I owned only VW's until I purchased my evo..Had Rabbit GTI's all the way to my mk4 GTI that I installed an APR stage 3 kit on...

If you want to compare build quality VW vs Mistu...It's a no contest...They both are in the lower rung among all cars. They are the type of cars that only 2 people should own...The first owner would be knowledgeable with the car and be able to diag/repair it themselves...The second owner would have tons of money to throw down at the dealer..because both cars will eventually turn to crap.

Performance-wise...There's really a no contest...The Evo flat out will be a better car than any stock VW...VW doesn't really care too much about the American buyer when it comes to hardcore performance..They cater more so to the fat americans who want a "sporty" ride that sacrifices hanlding and performance for comfort and style.

When the Evo was released in '03 I became friends with a long time DSM guy who bought an Evo when they hit the dealer...Needless to say I was ready to sell the GTI shortly thereafter...I'm not impulsive, I'm not a bandwagon car buyer..I knew that my GTI could never be what the Evo was no matter how much money I sunk into it..

This will give you an idea of what happens when you have get the GTI to around 270whp and drive it hard:

Inner CV joint...Can you say explosion? Guess thats what happens after you upgrade the clutch and differential....

Broken lower motor mount...Not one...2..This one I even made an aluminum bushing to replace the cracked urethane ones...

I put a assload of effort into putting my car together..and even more money, but in the end it just wasn't enough to satisfy my needs as a car enthusiast/mechanic and after a long wait I finally go into my evo..

you have a GTI with APR stage 3 right? Its making around 100 WHP extra. You can't expect no problems as you have hooked the car behind its ability to stay reliable.

I had an EVO8 and it started to have issues when it was not stock. any car that you touch and take to the hard road course like I do will brake. on the streets its a different story but I see over 240 D of oil temp on regular day at the track so don’t expect a lot after that.

I have an R32 STOCK and had ZERO problems I had 3 GTIs with ZERO problems. if you leave her stock she will be fine forever. get a chip but not some GT28 turbo and expect your engine mount to be fine lol

Drive safe
Old Feb 12, 2006, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Az3ar

I have an R32 STOCK and had ZERO problems I had 3 GTIs with ZERO problems. if you leave her stock she will be fine forever. get a chip but not some GT28 turbo and expect your engine mount to be fine lol

Drive safe
ill agree to disagree
coilpacks and maf's come to mind, not stating that the evo doesnt have its issues, but they aren't as annoying as the above 2, from what i experienced. I built and raced vw's since i was a wee-lad... have owned around 5
Old Feb 12, 2006, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Arrow

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Um, there's a big difference. They have no reason to have that attitude, and we do. As I said, the Evo is a higher echelon, and that is indisputable. I don't care one bit about VWs and wouldn't waste a second arguing with their owners, nor should Jeff. The Evo is superior, period.

I'll step up and argue on this one anyday of the week. Not because I think VW's are the greatest cars on earth but the fact you're saying the EVO is superior & on a higher echelon. First off we're arguing the EVO vs. VW. Which VW are we comparing here? I can build an $8k vw that would crush an EVO in most walks of life so lets not go on bashing a full company comparing it to one model. Higher echelon? How? Because the last time I checked although the EVO is an awesome vehicle and a performance standard in the marketplace now, it doesn't replace the amazing vehicles that VW/Audi has been pumping out for years. Sure you all can call me a VW/AUDI fanboy (i kept my ol SN from years on vw forums for a reason) because of course I am. But I still respect all walks of cars including the two EVO's I have owned but in no way would I immediately discredit another car manufacturer that for the most part actually revived the enthusiast community which pushed mitsu to bring our beloved EVO over here.

Now anyone on any site is going to bash the other company the majority of the time and of course those guys on ohiovw are going to immediately say the car won't last as long or that a vw can put out 900whp.

The fact is you always hate to admit when your product is not the best, when you are out-matched and even when you make a statement and know your wrong you will have some type of excuse or stance. (ie. evo far superior car). [ edit. after reading this it was meant at anyone not you WT, that we all HATE to admit fault ]

Just to justify my comments on a bang for buck comparision with the manufacturers.

In 2004 I was choosing between the EVO - STI - R32.

I bought my R32 for $25.9k brand new. Had I invested hardcore $$ i could have spent $5k and gotten very similar to results as with a WT2 kit on an '04 EVO at the same price (remember in 2004 you could basically only get an EVO at best $1500 under sticker and that was amazing!!).

Now comparing an '06 released EVO vs. a 2 yr. old R32 you're still paying $30k for a new mitsu and VW has not released another model to compare at this time but a slightly used R and same $5k still would hang with the WT2 kit EVO9.

Last edited by VW4life; Feb 12, 2006 at 02:02 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, VW4life, the Evo is superior to all VWs sold in the United States. That is indisputable. Don't start the crap about buying old, used POS's then slapping on $8k of mods to own an Evo. We've been doing that with DSMs since 1989, and there is no comparison.

We are talking the Evo vs R32/GTI/GLI/GLX/WhateverOtherGaynessTheyHave. There are other cars out there that own the Evo, and I freely admit that, but there is no VW that is on the same echelon as an Evo. There's just no comparison...
Old Feb 12, 2006, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

I love this site, you guy ROCK! To answer someones qustion about my 1320 and trap speed on my vr6t, My best was a 13.6 at 128 mph . It was quarter mile burn out. The car is really only fun on the freeway.
You know I never expected it to turn out like this. And another thing, since I was 16 (now 25) I have driven VW's, and worked at VW dealerships. But I have to say, I am just sick of looking at them, working on them ect...... Back in 04 I looked at an Evo and drove one. For the 15 mins I drove it, I felt like I had owned the car for 20 years. It felt like a race car Steering was tight, just felt like it was on rails. I ended up getting the R32 because I could fix it, plus everyone was saying Mitsu's were junk. The only problem with these cars I have seen is the warreny issues.
I like my R but it cost to much to have fun with. $500 for a chip, and only get about 7 whp
Camshafts, $1300 and get around 12 whp, plus another $500 for a chip.
Turbo kits, $7500 and make 450 whp.
Supercharger kits start at around 5k, for 300 whp
Intake, $300 and make 10 whp
Exhaust (cat back), $900 and make 7 to 8 whp
This is average $ for an R32
And after these upgrades, unless you have the turbo kit, you still have a slow as* car. And Hel* its even slow with the turbo, Sh*t I have NEVER hear of a 1320 on an R with a turbo, or seen one race. Plus the Haldex all wheel drive sucks as*, and after all of that, all I ever read is problems, EPC light is on, engine lite on. EPC deals with drive by wire throttle, and some other things.
This is why I would never get rid of my 97, cause it is alot like the Evo, everything is pretty basic and simple.
I think alot of you are right they are just mad cause they ain't getting one.
to all forum members.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry, VW4life, the Evo is superior to all VWs sold in the United States. That is indisputable. Don't start the crap about buying old, used POS's then slapping on $8k of mods to own an Evo. We've been doing that with DSMs since 1989, and there is no comparison.

We are talking the Evo vs R32/GTI/GLI/GLX/WhateverOtherGaynessTheyHave. There are other cars out there that own the Evo, and I freely admit that, but there is no VW that is on the same echelon as an Evo. There's just no comparison...
Very well said
Old Feb 12, 2006, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by VW4life

I'll step up and argue on this one anyday of the week. Not because I think VW's are the greatest cars on earth but the fact you're saying the EVO is superior & on a higher echelon. First off we're arguing the EVO vs. VW. Which VW are we comparing here? I can build an $8k vw that would crush an EVO in most walks of life so lets not go on bashing a full company comparing it to one model. Higher echelon? How? Because the last time I checked although the EVO is an awesome vehicle and a performance standard in the marketplace now, it doesn't replace the amazing vehicles that VW/Audi has been pumping out for years. Sure you all can call me a VW/AUDI fanboy (i kept my ol SN from years on vw forums for a reason) because of course I am. But I still respect all walks of cars including the two EVO's I have owned but in no way would I immediately discredit another car manufacturer that for the most part actually revived the enthusiast community which pushed mitsu to bring our beloved EVO over here.

Now anyone on any site is going to bash the other company the majority of the time and of course those guys on ohiovw are going to immediately say the car won't last as long or that a vw can put out 900whp.

The fact is you always hate to admit when your product is not the best, when you are out-matched and even when you make a statement and know your wrong you will have some type of excuse or stance. (ie. evo far superior car). [ edit. after reading this it was meant at anyone not you WT, that we all HATE to admit fault ]

Just to justify my comments on a bang for buck comparision with the manufacturers.

In 2004 I was choosing between the EVO - STI - R32.

I bought my R32 for $25.9k brand new. Had I invested hardcore $$ i could have spent $5k and gotten very similar to results as with a WT2 kit on an '04 EVO at the same price (remember in 2004 you could basically only get an EVO at best $1500 under sticker and that was amazing!!).

Now comparing an '06 released EVO vs. a 2 yr. old R32 you're still paying $30k for a new mitsu and VW has not released another model to compare at this time but a slightly used R and same $5k still would hang with the WT2 kit EVO9.

what planet do you live on.because its not earth. R32 is dog-poo plain and simple. People bought them and put exhaust, and cai, and chipped them...only to get their guts stomped in by GTI's with similar mods. Plus it was grossly overpriced.

What a kraut burning piece of euro-trash. VW had more warranty issues, and recalls in 2005 than ANY other car manufacturer. That means that Hyundai built a better car than VW did.

Dont get me wrong I like the looks of some VW's but if your talking performance....EVO owns VW. Oh and how many VW's are competing in a World rally Circuit? Just curious.

last thing. VW in no way revatalized the sport-compact market. They started a COMPACT car market, but to be honest if you want to thank a car manufacturer for making cars that were cheap that people could do stuff to thank Honda.

owns you and VW
Old Feb 12, 2006, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

Arrow

Did you even read my post?

Old Feb 12, 2006, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FastCoEVO
what planet do you live on.because its not earth. R32 is dog-poo plain and simple. People bought them and put exhaust, and cai, and chipped them...only to get their guts stomped in by GTI's with similar mods. Plus it was grossly overpriced.

What a kraut burning piece of euro-trash. VW had more warranty issues, and recalls in 2005 than ANY other car manufacturer. That means that Hyundai built a better car than VW did.

Dont get me wrong I like the looks of some VW's but if your talking performance....EVO owns VW. Oh and how many VW's are competing in a World rally Circuit? Just curious.

last thing. VW in no way revatalized the sport-compact market. They started a COMPACT car market, but to be honest if you want to thank a car manufacturer for making cars that were cheap that people could do stuff to thank Honda.

owns you and VW

Since you're so intelligent check out this link.

http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publi...cle_1664.shtml

Probably would not be the WRC but it's the DAKAR rally where a DIESEL powered VW but what do I know about racing or vw's.

I'm sure since you've owned one and aforementioned regular GTI you would know how much of an accurate statement your first quote was. I actually had a chip, cai and exhaust and had no problem pulling on all bolt on vw's. And when I say $5k in a R32, I'm talking a hometown in the garage guy turnin the wrenches and throwing a nice T on the 3.2l not some overpriced tuner package (because they CAN!.)

And finally your last post was just plain dumb about having nothing to due with compact car industry. In 1983 VW released what "hot hatch" vehicle that spurred a long time Honda/VW "sport compact" and in 1984 Road & Track did a comparison of a 84 GTI vs. an 84 Trans Am and guess who won. Then 6 years later released a "corrado" which soon evolved into the A3-A4 chassis VW's which soon pushed the 200hp envelope to push Mitsu and Subaru to bring some AWD 200+ hp vehicles to take back market share.

Last edited by VW4life; Feb 12, 2006 at 03:10 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 03:38 PM

Bwahahahaha ... I don't think you want to bring up Dakar when comparing Vdub to Mitsu because Mitsu pwns them in that area too. If Peterhansen didn't hit a tree in the latter stages of Dakar this year the rankings would have been Mitsu 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

It's funny that you point out DAKAR and show how VW got 2nd place, but guess who finished 1st, 3rd and 4th? Guess which manufacturer has won the DAKAR rally for the last 6 consecutive years? Guess which manufacturer has won a total of 11 DAKAR rallys, the most wins for any manufacturer in the history of DAKAR? Need any clues? Well I'll tell ya it starts with an M and ends with an I... that's right its Mitsubishi!!

These guys know a little about making kick *** AWD cars.

BTW here's the link to DAKAR http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/mot...ort/leg15.html
Old Feb 12, 2006, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

some wrong info in this thread. First the R32 holds value unlike my 2003 evo where I had only $21K in it. The R32 here is one of a kind with only 4K of them in 2004. the car has a very smooth engine and is well built.

Its not always about power because if it was I would have kept my 03 EVO instead of stock 06. Its about smoothness and reliability above all. I don’t want some car to leak oil or have warped brakes. I don’t care if my EVO is only 13 sec QM and this guy has an 11 sec EVO in the end its about what you like and I like not to open the hood of the car.

I have an E30 with only 178 HP and it’s so much fun. it drives with over 160K on the odometer like new. Again its not always about HP.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Arright now, you guys hit home.

I have owned Audis and VWs for years and have tracked 3 - A 90 Coupe Quattro, a 91 S2 and an A2 with a worked 2001 VR6 motor. Had problems with'am all, all always drove me home (window switches broke, etc...) - I modified all of them, problems come with territory.
After 3 track events with my Evo, I find myself almost bored at events between runs, I tighten things between runs and it's good to go - I am very impressed with the beating the car accepts.
For many of you to put the Evo above the VW or Audi is disappointing - Both great rides. The fit and finish of the Audis/VWs is impressive - I hope to modify my interior to be closer to that of the TTs in time.
The feel of an Audi/VW at high track speeds is more comfortable than that of an EVO IMHO. The Evo gets me there faster, but it feels lighter, this is something very difficult to put on paper, feelings aren't tangible.

Bottom line - I have an Evo and an Audi S2. The S2 has been "Retired" for about 2 years, the Evo is more fun to drive and never has a problem.

My Dad at a young 61, has an Audi RS4 and my Mom an Infiniti FX45. He is waiting to see if the X has improved fit and finish and he'll be sold. He loves the ride of my MR, he never disagrees that it's faster in both acceleration and lap times.. He's at a point that he wants it all - He wants a car he can take to the track, but will provide him heated and power seats, a luxury feel and a better fit and finish than what my VIII has to offer so he can take other 60+yr old clients in it comfortably.

You pay a lot of money for the "Accomodation," not compromise of an Audi/VW - you should respect it as car lovers.

I hope the X comes out soon, Mr. 61 has his eyes on a Le Mans when it comes out. And alas the beauty of the Evo - Here's a guy looking at 2 cars - 1@ a hefty 130k and one 90k less - If you're going to argue anything, continue to argue that the EVO can compete againt cars double/triple/quadruple the cost and maintain Japanese reliability.

VWAG continues to grow its market - can you say the same for "Bail me out again, please" Mitsubishi Motors. Audi/VW's line runs deep, what does Mitsubishi have?
VWAG will support mods, give you a warranty that Mitsubishi can't touch though they claim "Best backed cars in the world." For 4 years, you pay NOTHING for VWAG servicing and you receive loaners of equal value. (In my case, I junked the Mitsu warranty because I trusted the reliability, this is a non-issue with VWAG).

Respect the cars and the companies for what they have to offer. knows reliable performance!
Old Feb 12, 2006, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you even read my post?
Did you read mine?

You're trying to say that paying $25.9k for an R32 then adding 5k in mods (doing it yourself and paying minimum prices) gets you equal to WT2? Hmm, well what about my '91 Eclipse GS-T (yes, FWD) that I bought for $3k on Ebay and went 12.58@110 without even purchasing a single mod? I disconnected the downpipe, slapped on the SAFC and FMIC from my other 12.1-sec '90 Talon, tossed in some race gas, cranked the boost on the stock 14b turbo with 130k miles, and ripped her out of the hole en route to the aforementioned ET/MPH after a 1.81 60' (yes, again, FWD).

Again, no comparison. I had 3 DSMs whose combined costs including purchase of the car and purchase of mods were less than $25.9k for your R32, yet all of them went 12.58 or better, which is faster than the vast majority of R32s. Don't get me started on what I could do with an 05 RS (yes, $25.9k) and $5k in mods...

For the last time...

THERE IS NO COMPARISON

Last edited by Warrtalon; Feb 12, 2006 at 03:57 PM.

Quick Reply: VW people giving me hard time