Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Queation for other evo IX owners?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2006, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Queation for other evo IX owners?

Has anyone noticed that under acceleration above 3K RPM on the tak in 2nd,3rd and/or 4th gears that if you release the throttle the car seems to continue to carry speed for a long time as if you had a cruise control set. It feels as if the turbo is spooled up and still trying to carry the car forward. Very dangerous on the freeway in bumper to bumper traffic.

I've talked to the dealer where I purchased my car, the owner of the dealership is a car guy and has an Evo IX MR. He said that he had not noticed this on his but would look into it. After a weekend of driving he confirmed that his does the same thing and he called Mitsubishi about it. They said it was normal and was part of an emissions requirement. This seems odd to me because it doesn't take that long to burn extra fuel in my opinion.

My 03 Never did this and I was very happy with the car but my 06MR does not appear to have anywhere near the great brakes of my 03.
I think it is because of the fact that the car continues to run as if you were pushing in on the gas pedal and therefore the brakes are having to work twice as hard with half the results.

I'm Curious to see what other Evo IX owners have to say, especially the rest of you that have owned an VIII previously..

Jamey
Old Feb 11, 2006, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

my 05 does that as well. i forget the thread, but i read about it being emissions related. i think its 05 and 06 evos that have this nature.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

I'm disappointed to hear that the IX does this. When I test drove an 05 EVO it didn't do it nearly as bad as my SVT Focus. I wonder if this could be fixed with a flash, since it's just an emission thing to make sure no unburned fuel exits the exhaust.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 10:25 PM

Yeah, I was told it was an emissions requirement. I can tell you as an example though that if you are traveling at 50 + MPH and just let off the gas, the car will continue on at 50 + MPH for a couple hundred yards with no obvious indication that you have released the throttle. The car feels like the engine is still pulling and it is even more apparent at higher speeds. This might be great on a racetrack to keep the turbo spooled up but it is definitely hard on the brakes. The brakes are a major strong point of the car in my opinion, you can't go really fast without them.

J
Old Feb 11, 2006, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

I have not noticed this on my IX. I will try to simulate the conditions and see.

Girlie
Old Feb 11, 2006, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

ive noticed this in my IX doesnt really bother me to much tho, hasnt possed a problem yet
Old Feb 11, 2006, 10:49 PM
Evolving Member

my 05 doesnt do it.
once u let off the gass while in gear the car just bucks forward.......as it should.

Old Feb 11, 2006, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jamey@ParisAudio
Yeah, I was told it was an emissions requirement. I can tell you as an example though that if you are traveling at 50 + MPH and just let off the gas, the car will continue on at 50 + MPH for a couple hundred yards with no obvious indication that you have released the throttle. The car feels like the engine is still pulling and it is even more apparent at higher speeds. This might be great on a racetrack to keep the turbo spooled up but it is definitely hard on the brakes. The brakes are a major strong point of the car in my opinion, you can't go really fast without them.

J
I can vouch it happens, because I just traded in an '03 on a '06 IX RS. And letting off the throttle in a IX doesn't keep the turbo spooled because there's no load on the engine, and it takes some load to generate boost. The factory boost gauge confirms this.

Granted I've only done a couple of track days, but I would rather that the IX didn't have this "feature". It's hard to use the throttle to effect weight transfer when letting off the throttle doesn't slow you down much. There's always left-foot braking as a workaround, so it's not terrible, so I guess it's time to start working on it.

Does anyone know if you can get rid of this with a flash?
Old Feb 11, 2006, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

no big deal to me either, just have fun driving. i had a 03 as well.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 11:01 PM
Evolved Member

I would also like to get rid of this "feature." :
Old Feb 11, 2006, 11:06 PM

this happens on my IX as well, its pretty annoying. the first couple times i experienced this, i thought my gas pedal was sticking. i can see how this would cause excessive brake wear. can anyone provide a more technical explanation for this phenomenon than just being a 'emissions requirement'?
Old Feb 12, 2006, 01:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My IX does this too...and it's JDM, so don't know about emission issues. I actually like it, as I don't like engine braking too much. I like to use the brakes. I think the VIII didn't do this as much as the IX.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Wrath
can anyone provide a more technical explanation for this phenomenon than just being a 'emissions requirement'?
The idea is to make sure that all of the fuel injected into the engine is burned before exiting through the exhaust. If you're giving it throttle, then suddenly close the throttle body, the engine won't have enough air to completely burn all the gas.

A computer controlled IAC (idle air control) valve allows air to bypass the throttle plate to regulate idle RPM, or in this case, keep air flowing to the engine briefly after letting off the throttle. Being that this valve is computer controlled, I have to believe that a flash could fix this problem if programed properly. There might even be an easier solution by modifying the IAC somehow.

Last edited by ShiftySVT; Feb 12, 2006 at 09:33 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ShiftySVT
The idea is to make sure that all of the fuel injected into the engine is burned before exiting through the exhaust. If you're giving it throttle, then suddenly close the throttle body, the in the engine won't have enough air to completely burn all the gas.

A computer controlled IAC (idle air control) valve allows air to bypass the throttle plate to regulate idle RPM, or in this case, keep air flowing to the engine briefly after letting off the throttle. Being that this valve is computer controlled, I have to believe that a flash could fix this problem if programed properly. There might even be an easier solution by modifying the IAC somehow.
That sounds like it would prevent the "flame out the exhaust" phenomenon seen often on (free flow applications on) abrupt throttle lift.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ShiftySVT
The idea is to make sure that all of the fuel injected into the engine is burned before exiting through the exhaust. If you're giving it throttle, then suddenly close the throttle body, the engine won't have enough air to completely burn all the gas.

finally someone explains it.