Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

When buying a "used" or NEW EVO.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2006, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jakeg97
nice post

i would never buy a used evo
I would, but I would be XTRA careful. There will be a "flooding" of the market soon, of people getting out of the 8's, and getting into the 9's/10's. I don't want people to jump on one because it was CHEAP!!! That means it will be EXPENSIVE later!
Old Feb 12, 2006, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went with a new one as well. I kept saying to myself " for an extra 50 bucks a month you can have new with a 10 year warranty, never abused EVO". Mmm, I thought, an EVO is not like a VW or 'reg' kind of car. Meaning you can beat on a VW and well...nothing will happen as they have no power or ability to do so. (unless you hit a tree or something) If you beat on a EVO you will need to replace some things, esp if cheap fluids were used.

Ever tell you about the time I went to a 'Jiffy Lube' asked for a synthetic oil change and wile I was watching I saw the stupid $%#^ pumping in reg dino oil
Old Feb 12, 2006, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had to buy used cause I wasn't as fortunate as some of you's and buy a brand spanking new Evo! Sure, it was be great, but I had other priorities, and a used Evo with just 10K miles suits me fine. I guess I'll have to take my chances for a car I really wanted.
I bought my 98' GST in 2000 when it had 47K miles on it and that's a DSM...still have that baby til this day with over 160K miles and running like a champ! No major flaws at all since having it, AND just replaced the stock clutch recently!...I kid you NOT! But we all know that's very rare, so I guess I've gotten lucky...hopefully same falls true for my Evo.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

Buying ANY used car assumes risk. Even regular cars can be beat up. It does seem that the higher performance cars have higher abuse potential though.

Before the evo, I had an 05 Sti that I bought new. It did feel good being the first owner, but I'm a car ***** and have a hard time keeping a car longer than a year or two. The first year, bought new depreciation is a big hit. Throw in a divorce for me and I had to get something different. I got lucky when I sold it private party, but a dealer would have eaten me alive on trade-in value.

Letting the first owner take that first depreciation hit can help those on a tighter budget. I looked at as many evos as I could. Some were questionable, and most of those were at dealerships. I did find my silver evo at a recommended Mitsu dealer close to me. It had just come in from Mitsubishi auction. It came in front line ready, but hadn't been detailed there yet. It was immaculate. The dealership let me put it on a lift, then take it to my mechanic at the time. Car had barely 14k miles on it and original advans. Checked the ecu, no odd check sum digit reading for a reflash. Bolts were all original/rusty, no fresh changes that we could find. So far, so good, and that's with a few mods and a few track days thrown in.

C/N:

Nothing wrong with a used evo folks, just buyer beware and do your homework.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jqturbo
I had to buy used cause I wasn't as fortunate as some of you's and buy a brand spanking new Evo! Sure, it was be great, but I had other priorities, and a used Evo with just 10K miles suits me fine. I guess I'll have to take my chances for a car I really wanted.
I hear you....same boat. Have to buy used instead of new. I have other priorities but I really want this car . I just hope I find the right one.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sthiewes
I hear you....same boat. Have to buy used instead of new. I have other priorities but I really want this car . I just hope I find the right one.
Used is totally the way to go, as long as you know what to inspect before you buy one. Also, if you track you car, used is perfect... if you crash, you'll likely get a check for the amount you paid, and won't take the hit from depreciation. :thumbsup:
Old Feb 13, 2006, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

I totally agree with you guys on the "used" car issue. Again, someone bought the cars taken back to stock at my house, and they had problems. Take the car to highway speeds, 70-80mph, and listen for the "drone" of the TC going out, and do the 5th gear acceleration test for any clutch issues! just do your homework. the TC and the clutch is the "weakest" link in the 03's. If you do buy used at the dealership, have them drain the Trans/TC, and look in the rubber inspection hole to look at the Clutch! If you do those 3 things, you will sleep better, if they wont do that for you, go look somewhere else. If you are 100% sure you will buy the car.

I might even ask for the "auction report", as all cars have to list faults before running it thru the auction. even if the "fault" has been corrected. This is a big investment, and dont make it a bigger one if you dont have to.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sthiewes
No doubt! Good luck and happy hunting!

As people have stated, do your research and find one with decent mileage, test drive, and perhaps try for some type of warranty if possible. If not, take your 30days and get it inspected quickly by someone you trust.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

what are those 30 days you are talking about? I am going to be buying a used evo in the US and I am sort of worried about the same things you all are. The car is to be exported to Iceland so I donīt know how I will get it inspected. Can I off the deal if I find something wrong with the car, that is obviously due to former owner mistreatment??

Donīt get all in flames yet, I would never export it, without having it inspected first. just donīt completely know how things work in the US
Old Feb 13, 2006, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

I could take it in to get inspected by AMS/Bushur. You have a warranty for 30 days, usually, and if anything goes kaput, you get it repaired for free, or free repairs, you pay for the cost. I doubt that applies to you once it leaves the states!!! Has to be A1 when it is loaded on the container!

30 days from the date of purchase!
Old Feb 13, 2006, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
I could take it in to get inspected by AMS/Bushur. You have a warranty for 30 days, usually, and if anything goes kaput, you get it repaired for free, or free repairs, you pay for the cost. I doubt that applies to you once it leaves the states!!! Has to be A1 when it is loaded on the container!

30 days from the date of purchase!
didn't think it would yeah, that would be great. but what does A1 mean? Man, I feel like an idiot
Old Feb 13, 2006, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

A1/Top shape/100%groovy/no problems/perfect shape etc...
Old Feb 13, 2006, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

thanks I thought I was going to get a dead boring insurence term or some
Old Feb 13, 2006, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

got my 05 in november right off the showroom floor I feel sorry for whoever buys my GST
Old Feb 13, 2006, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper2G
got my 05 in november right off the showroom floor I feel sorry for whoever buys my GST
Thats Honesty Sleeper! That was my feeling when those 2 friends left my house!! I thought the same thing! Buyer beware, and be careful is all I have to say, thanks for stepping up to the plate with me!