Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

When buying a "used" or NEW EVO.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2006, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When buying a "used" or NEW EVO.

I noticed alot of EVO's going up FOR SALE lately, and made me think of the friends who bought their cars over to my house to "swap" parts, and get it close to stock when the traded it in. Those cars will go to the "trade-in" car lot and be sold, or more likely than not, they will go to the auction, for some other dealer to put on their lot.
After we traded out these parts, they start spilling the "beans" on what is wrong with the car. They either trade it in for "cheaper" payments, or there is an unforseen component ready to "go out". wheather that is the clutch is starting to slip, and its cheaper to trade it in, than replace it, or one even had a "humming" noise in the Transfercase, which is a tell-tale sign it will be going syanara soon! These are just a couple, (small sample group). I am sure this is pretty common, and the suspected buyers could be YOU!!

I would be extra careful when buying your used evo off a lot, there are, I am sure, good and well kept cars you can find on the lots, but be careful. I actually think if you buy a car here, from the "family" you would be better off. Nobody bought an evo to drive it to Church, or to get groceries. (except me ) and there are fine examples of the cars "history" on here, just look at the persons threads, and you can see if the car has had any issues! I just feel bad for the poor souls who bought the cars that were at my house while they returned the car to stock.

I know you should change the tranny, and the T.C. fluid MORE than recommended by the manufacturer, use OEM fluid, and if you want to keep the car in TOP running condition with mods, I recommend you find ONE "tuner" shop, and stick with that one, as if you take a part from this shop, and a part from another, they just dont work well together. (personal expierence). I fell for the hype of HP, and wanted everything off EVERYONES menu!!! I found out the parts didn't work well together, so I got rid of alot of parts, and lost alot of money. Don't you do the same.

Another thing, I don't work at a Dealership, but the local Mitshu Dealership knows I bought in alot of Evo traffic to them, and I convinced that if one hand washes another, they should sell their Evo's 9's/MR's/RS's etc, and invoice or close. Just like they are doing out west. They said they would! So if you are looking, let me know, I will see what I can do. I am NOT paid by them, this is a favor to me, which I will pass on if you want one.

These are just idle ramblings, as it is STILL Snowy and cold out here, what else am I supposed to do?! You guys in the warm states can race!

Later.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking to get a used Evo soon...well sooner than later if the price is right..hehe....anyway I'm probably going to look at one at a dealer this week. I'll see what he says and all and how much he'll come down but I thought at a dealer they guarantee their used cars?? So if someone was to trade in an Evo with say the clutch about to go...wouldn't the dealer notice this??

I understand where you are coming from but I figured buying through the dealer is a safe beat??

P.S. - Snowing here and it sucks
Old Feb 12, 2006, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

They just want to "turn inventory", and I am sure some out there wont care. BE CAREFUL! Have them warranty the clutch/Transfer case. Some extended warranties DONT cover wear and tear items!!!! They will more than likely say "buyer beware" if you buy a car that takes a dump on you! Find out the history, as the previous owner might be on this site, and let them know you are considering buying it! Good luck!!!!
Old Feb 12, 2006, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Used cars normally have a different warranty, it may be only 30 days, but if you can't tell something is wrong in 30 days, chances are you're the one that broke it.

I've had nothing but good luck buying used cars, and honestly I've only ever bought used cars. Just be sharp about it IMO.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by 4TUN8
Used cars normally have a different warranty, it may be only 30 days, but if you can't tell something is wrong in 30 days, chances are you're the one that broke it.

I've had nothing but good luck buying used cars, and honestly I've only ever bought used cars. Just be sharp about it IMO.

If your buying a used EVO or any newer car for that matter youll have the balance of a factory warranty that will transfer to you. Plus you can purches an extended. If you buy a car Certified Pre-Owned from say Acura or Lexus you can get like a 100,000 mile warranty. Mom and pop lots are the ones that give you the 30 day special. No worries man just check the car out.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
If your buying a used EVO or any newer car for that matter youll have the balance of a factory warranty that will transfer to you. Plus you can purches an extended. If you buy a car Certified Pre-Owned from say Acura or Lexus you can get like a 100,000 mile warranty. Mom and pop lots are the ones that give you the 30 day special. No worries man just check the car out.
Yeah I saw one or two Evos at a mom and pop lot and I was talking to my dad about it and said it'll be safer to go through a dealer. I figured I could get some sort of warranty through the dealer also.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

If the car is on a "mom and Pop" store, the regular dealers also had a chance to bid on the car, and for some reason they didn't want it! The auction houses MUST disclose the condition of the car, prior to running it thru, and they also get inspected prior to putting it on the "line". Just be careful, is all I have to say. I just stated, that I had 2 people bring their car to my house to change it back to stock, (because I bought some of the parts, I had the tools, and they were my friends). They both told me their car had issues, which made it easier to "trade" it in, instead of repairing the parts going out!!!my 2c
Old Feb 12, 2006, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by sthiewes
Yeah I saw one or two Evos at a mom and pop lot and I was talking to my dad about it and said it'll be safer to go through a dealer. I figured I could get some sort of warranty through the dealer also.

Yea like I said the balance of the factory 3yr 36k bumper to bumper and the 5yr 60k powertrain will transfer to you. You can also buy an extended warrenty from a dealer.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Yea like I said the balance of the factory 3yr 36k bumper to bumper and the 5yr 60k powertrain will transfer to you. You can also buy an extended warrenty from a dealer.
Which I would most likely do to be on the safe side. I'm not going to rush into anything...unless it was an offer I couldn't refuse
Old Feb 12, 2006, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sthiewes
P.S. - Snowing here and it sucks
i live in tx and driving a turbo car in a 100 degree weather is not exactly fun either.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

Warrenty's are great but we're all forgetting one thing. We're not buying Toyota Camrys or Taurus's etc. We're talking about a sports car that more than likley to get modded so what do you really need the warranty for? The things that we want warrantied are things that we abuse the hell out of, so it really shouldnt be covered anyway.
Just do your research on the car before you buy it and have a blast with your new/used evo.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mdesi
Warrenty's are great but we're all forgetting one thing. We're not buying Toyota Camrys or Taurus's etc. We're talking about a sports car that more than likley to get modded so what do you really need the warranty for? The things that we want warrantied are things that we abuse the hell out of, so it really shouldnt be covered anyway.
Just do your research on the car before you buy it and have a blast with your new/used evo.
+1
Old Feb 12, 2006, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
I noticed alot of EVO's going up FOR SALE lately, and made me think of the friends who bought their cars over to my house to "swap" parts, and get it close to stock when the traded it in. Those cars will go to the "trade-in" car lot and be sold, or more likely than not, they will go to the auction, for some other dealer to put on their lot.
After we traded out these parts, they start spilling the "beans" on what is wrong with the car. They either trade it in for "cheaper" payments, or there is an unforseen component ready to "go out". wheather that is the clutch is starting to slip, and its cheaper to trade it in, than replace it, or one even had a "humming" noise in the Transfercase, which is a tell-tale sign it will be going syanara soon! These are just a couple, (small sample group). I am sure this is pretty common, and the suspected buyers could be YOU!!

I would be extra careful when buying your used evo off a lot, there are, I am sure, good and well kept cars you can find on the lots, but be careful. I actually think if you buy a car here, from the "family" you would be better off. Nobody bought an evo to drive it to Church, or to get groceries. (except me ) and there are fine examples of the cars "history" on here, just look at the persons threads, and you can see if the car has had any issues! I just feel bad for the poor souls who bought the cars that were at my house while they returned the car to stock.

nice post

i would never buy a used evo
Old Feb 12, 2006, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jakeg97
nice post

i would never buy a used evo
+1
Old Feb 12, 2006, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

I thought about buying a use one for about a whole second.
Then I went to the dealer and picked up a brand new IX with 4.5 mi on it.
You buy used, you never know how it was broken in, driven, modded, broken.
With a performance car that I want to keep for MANY years, it was just peace of mind. Not to mention, there's NOTHING that compares to driving a BRAND new car off the lot while taking a deep breath of that new car smell.