Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

V6 evo?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2006, 07:56 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why, when 1000 streetable horse is attainable..
Old Feb 13, 2006, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Groupe N has nothing to say about maximum amount of cylinders just 2000cc, so they could make a 2.0 6 like the original skyline motor and rev it to 12-13k rpm when fully built.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

damn 1996 was a decade ago.... lol
Old Feb 13, 2006, 08:16 AM

hell no...no v6 it goes against everything the evo stands for.....remeber....rally

Originally Posted by FLK
While Evos may never get one, a factory mitsu V6 TT has been on the market since a decade ago, from 1996 on.
It's a 6a13TT, heres pics from my old one.
by the way they have had a turbo'd v6 since 91 i beleive.....and its called the 6g72 and its in the 3000gt/stealth
Old Feb 13, 2006, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

17 years of 4G63, why change a good thing?
Old Feb 13, 2006, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by evo8rcr
the 6g72 is but it is not a stock tt that is the stock engine int the 3g eclipse gt
and the engine does not hold well to boost
The 3000GT VR4's twin turbo V6 is coded 6G72TT, it is not the same as the 3G engine. Similar block, yes, but the internals are built for forced induction and it has a DOHC head.

Ray Pampena has the most powerful one (I think).
http://www.pampenamotorsports.com/

I don't think the 6A12/13TT engines from the Galant VR-4's have ever approached this power level. And all of them are out of production and don't meet current emissions. I would never want to see a V6 powered Evo.

Last edited by GPTourer; Feb 13, 2006 at 08:52 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

The 3000GT (also know as the GTO in some parts of the world) was a pretty bad-*** piece of machinery. But I don't think the x would have a v6 though. The Gr.N rules as Juiced said limits the displacement to 2000cc and making a v6 that small would be rather silly a to be honest, and a bit pointless. The added complication would just not be worth it IMO unless you're going for a larger displacment.

I really don't know what Mitsu are planning. A few years back there was a serious plan to switch to using the Colt in the WRC and if that plan is still taking shape, we might see the evo with a v6 and shifted into the same market as the 350Z and skylines while the colt takes its place in rallies. Or we could see the Eclipse in that role...
Old Feb 13, 2006, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by x838nwy
The Gr.N rules as Juiced said limits the displacement to 2000cc and making a v6 that small would be rather silly a to be honest, and a bit pointless. The added complication would just not be worth it IMO unless you're going for a larger displacment.
Maybe, but Mitsu did try it with the FTO. IT had exactly that, a 2.0L V6. They did it to try to compete against the Integra Type R, and although the car had some success overseas, it just never really caught on - and of course we never got it here because of the Eclipse. I'd heard rumors the WRC was going to N/A soon, from a thread on here as a matter of fact, so perhaps this idea could come up again.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
Maybe, but Mitsu did try it with the FTO. IT had exactly that, a 2.0L V6. They did it to try to compete against the Integra Type R, and although the car had some success overseas, it just never really caught on - and of course we never got it here because of the Eclipse. I'd heard rumors the WRC was going to N/A soon, from a thread on here as a matter of fact, so perhaps this idea could come up again.
Hm, got a link to the WRC N/A thread?
Old Feb 13, 2006, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I heard that too, that they were moving to N/A and that they cant use any traction stabalizers or something along that (ACD AYC DCCD).
Old Feb 13, 2006, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

i heard mitsubishi was droppin out of wrc all together...
Old Feb 13, 2006, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
Yeah, the FTO was a bit of a strange fruit. It won awards in japan and sounds like it is driven by an electric motor. I wonder what happened to that engine...

One thing it had going for it was some sort of clever drivetrain which I can't recall. However, it never did all that well cos while every man and his dog seems to have parts for an integra (or even a civic) bits for the FTO was pretty hard to come by and it was a heack of a job working on that engine.

As with the WRC going N/A, the FIA has posed a proposition to the teams after the last rally GB that major changes are afoot. The proposed set of rules is called Super 2000 (for now?) and are as far as I know, quite significant. In an effort to save costs, Mr.Mosley and co proposes that 2.0litre engines replace the tubocharged engines. Also, electronically controlled transmissions and drivetrain will be made illegal. There's even talk of a single supplier for gearboxes. All this is in an effort to save costs... perhaps this is why mitsu are thinking of pitching the evo at another market...

For more info, see Autosport magazine last issue in Sept.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Is the WRC losing a lot of money? Or are costs becoming so prohibitive that manufacturers are dropping out? I can understand the need to cut costs but when you start having single suppliers across different manufacturers... part of the point of racing is to see not only who's the best driver but to see who's got the best built stuff. This seems somewhat counter intuitive, IMHO.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

why don't they just ban cars altogether. that would save loads of money. we'll just have two guys in helmets running side-by-side in the woods with one shouting directions at another.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by x838nwy
why don't they just ban cars altogether. that would save loads of money. we'll just have two guys in helmets running side-by-side in the woods with one shouting directions at another.
lol

Quick Reply: V6 evo?