Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Spring install gone awry

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2006, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spring install gone awry

Ok...Well, I guess it would be any springs in this case.

Spent a day of installing stuff. Got the AEM intake in on Friday. That was a SMALL job just because of the tight space. Definitely quieter than the HKS and only sounds off with a light spool and light blow off. GOODIE!

Installed the DC Sports turbo back last Wednesday....3 days later, I get a CEL. Whoops! So I got a couple of spark plug anti-foulers and drilled a 1/2 hole in them to hopefully trick the ECU. So far so good...

So, there was a nice deal on some local tanabe springs. I thought I would put them in yesterday. my 8 year old and 5 year old were in the house watching the baby...I periodically checked up on her. Had the drivers side of the car on jack stands and was working on the rear shock. Pulled it off. Pulled off the bumpstop. Went to cut an inch and a half from the bumpstop with a razor. Well, needless to say I was never a boy scout. But I was in the military and STILL forgot to cut away from myself. Well, at 3;15pm, it happened. I slipped right as I finished the cut on the bumpstop. BLAH! I sliced my thumb ALMOST clean off! Blood shot out! My garage looks like a murder scene. Not good. I get my neighbors 18 year old daughter and she watches my kids as I go to the ER. The wife goes home and takes her aunt there to take over the baby sitting.

Ended up with 7 stitches and my car in the air overnight. I got up this morning and downed about 800mg of motrin. Pain was dulled and I finished the install on the remaining springs! HARDCORE! only hit my thumb twice! The car sits nice and rides fairly close to stock. BTW, I got to the ER at 3:30pm and got home at 1:30am.

Just figured I would share my installs and the pain that goes along with them. Sorry the pic sucks but the battery was dying and I wanted to get a pic!

Kris

Attached Thumbnails Spring install gone awry-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by kr1s; Feb 12, 2006 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Title change....
Old Feb 12, 2006, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

ouch here hope that helps, no really sorry man i sliced my finger pertty bad too about a year ago
Old Feb 12, 2006, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ouch
Old Feb 12, 2006, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

OUCH! I cry whenever I get a papercut!
Old Feb 12, 2006, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

!!!!!!!!!HARDCORE+2
Old Feb 12, 2006, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah...I think I jacked up some nerves. I can't feel the top of my thumb. But yeah...about crying over papercuts...I have a half sleeve tats and on my chest...But I thought I would lose it the guy looked at it and saw I was queezy. Told my 240lb *** to sit down!!!

When they numbed it with lidocaine though, the doc was like "I am not going to lie. This hurts. It will feel like your finger is on fire"....Whatever...I can deal with needles. I TURNED INTO THE 40 year old VIRGIN!!! I was laying there and screamed..."Whoa Kelly Clarkson!" and other obsceneties...WOW! That crap hurt!
Old Feb 12, 2006, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the review on the springs haha the thumbs up guy has alot more meaning now lol j/k
Old Feb 12, 2006, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

SO EXTREME!!!!!!! *dinasour sound*
Old Feb 12, 2006, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

I was just about to order these springs and now they are cursed...real bummer man but good thing you didn't pass out and bleed to death. You should change the title of the thread cause it's real deceiving especially when I am about to order them.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SPANKED
I was just about to order these springs and now they are cursed...real bummer man but good thing you didn't pass out and bleed to death. You should change the title of the thread cause it's real deceiving especially when I am about to order them.

Yeah...But it got people's attention! I wanted to show off my war wound!

In all honesty, the local shop had in stock Eibachs and Tanabe's. I took the last set of tanabe's and I need to get an alignment now...But I have to say, these things feel really good.

I was looking for Tein's but the ride on these is nice and definitely digging them. Waiting for them to fully settle.

Kris
Old Feb 12, 2006, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Do they need to settle? I was going to wait a week before getting an alignment but a few people said they won't settle...guess it can't hurt much driving it a few days before getting it aligned.

Oh and do you have to cut the bumpstops? Did you just cut them in half?
Old Feb 12, 2006, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Ouch, that sucks!!!
Old Feb 12, 2006, 04:16 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
that is a man's man right there good stuff bro glad you are okay
Old Feb 12, 2006, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Turbolover
!!!!!!!!!HARDCORE+2
+ 1. Nice man
Old Feb 12, 2006, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, hardcore install there....atlease you will enjoy the tanabes, they are great for daily driving and has perfect stance....

Quick Reply: Spring install gone awry