Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is the EVO IX the most powerful 4-Cylinder ever?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2006, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fevo
Funny that u have got the Lotus correct but Porsche wrong

anyway if u r talking about Lotus Esprit S4 300HP?
What was the displacement?
Old Feb 15, 2006, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
actually your wrong. porsche had some of the most powerful 4 cylinder engines for years until the S2000 came around. however, the porsche engines still have 50% more torque then the S2k. look at the 968... it is a 3L inline 4 N/A pushing around 230hp/and equal torque. also, the 944 S2 was a 16V inline 4 3L with the same specs (no VVT if i rmember correctly though). last, the 944 turbo S was pushing 240ish hp and equal torque. this was in the early 90's so high HP 4 cylinders from the factory is old news... porsche has been doing it for nearly 20 years. granted the displacement is bigger then the evo engine, overall the cars are lighter (and much more aerodynamic)
I mean spellings =P

btw 2.2ltrs
Old Feb 15, 2006, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scorke
The 240 is from a 2.2l s2k btw

Scorke
im pretty sure the 2.0 was also 240 hp. they upped the displacement to 2.2 to answer calls for more torque
Old Feb 15, 2006, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jjm4life
im pretty sure the 2.0 was also 240 hp. they upped the displacement to 2.2 to answer calls for more torque
yes , same HP for 2.0 and 2.2
dun forget Altezza RS200 's engine
I think it is the 2nd best NA engine

Last edited by fevo; Feb 15, 2006 at 02:38 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Az3ar

Honda does not believe in turbo not because of tree hugging but because they don't believe in their reliability. Honda looks for reliability before anything.
you're right about the reliability issue as i stated in my statement but to say that honda doesn't care about the environment is false. we all know that force induction engines generally puts out more emission due to the fact that they run a lower air fuel ratio (more gas then oxygen means unburned fuel exit the tail pipe). there are examples of lean burning turbo engines but they are not high performance engine. honda is at the fore font when it comes to environmental friendly vehicles.

read this statement from Honda. http://www.world.honda.com/environme...ent/index.html
Old Feb 15, 2006, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by el producto
I know they make blower kits for the S2K but thats only good for another 100hp, why don't they make turbos can the engine not handle it?
the block is Aluminum which melts under high heat so hondas can't run that much boost.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by honda-guy
you're right about the reliability issue as i stated in my statement but to say that honda doesn't care about the environment is false. we all know that force induction engines generally puts out more emission due to the fact that they run a lower air fuel ratio (more gas then oxygen means unburned fuel exit the tail pipe). there are examples of lean burning turbo engines but they are not high performance engine. honda is at the fore font when it comes to environmental friendly vehicles.

read this statement from Honda. http://www.world.honda.com/environme...ent/index.html

Thats for sure. However, saying that turbo engines can't be as clean as NA is wrong. In fcat turbo engines are known to have less emession " known fact and some reading and searching will confirm this"

Honad is environmental friendly but they don't like turbos because of reliability issues. BMW tags alone with them on this part.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by housedj
the block is Aluminum which melts under high heat so hondas can't run that much boost.
wrong, there are plenty of example of 600+ whp honda engines. the block is aluminum but the cylinder sleeves are steel. if the block melts because it's aluminum, wouldn't the aluminum pistons melt too?

aluminum block are also better at dissipating heat but they also warp if over heated.

Last edited by honda-guy; Feb 15, 2006 at 02:50 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3000ways
A co-worker yesterday asked me how much HP my EVO had at the flywheel. I told him it is rated at 286HP but in reality it probably is making over 300HP. My co-worker then said "Really? A 4 banger making that much power stock, it must be the most powerful 4-Cylinder ever?" I shrugged it off, but started thinking about it, and really couldn't come up with a more powerful 4-Cylinder off the top of head. The STi/STI is rated at 300HP but it does not dyno as high as the IX. So is there a more powerful 4-Cylinder out there?
the real ? should be: does the evo posess the highest hp per liter???
the STI at 300hp makes 120hp/liter (2.5L) but has more torque than us

if it is currently at 286 crank hp, then in theory it is making 143hp/liter. for comparison, a 500hp Dodge Viper is making 60.24hp per liter (it is however 8.3L yikes...) so if there was an equivalent V10 powered evo, in theory it would make 1186.9hp... remember folks TORQUE makes a car fast, not HP
Old Feb 15, 2006, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Before melting the block a higher compression and weak rods comes to mind. a strong healthy S2000 block will handle 16~18 psi if upgraded internals are installed. Of course a perfect tune must be in the mix.

Aluminum blocks are lighter and EVO X will have one.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by honda-guy
wrong, there are plenty of example of 600+ whp honda engines. the block is aluminum but the cylinder sleeves are steel. if the block melts because it's aluminum, wouldn't the aluminum pistons melt too?

aluminum block are also better at dissipating heat but they also warm if over heated.
U R missing the point. it did not say that hondas don't make power or that some are not fast, i merely pointed out that side by side, a honda 2.0L cannot run as much boost as the evo due to the aluminum block design. now if you took the EVO's turbo off & ran NA on both cars, the Honda would walk an EVO all day long. i have yet to SEE a street driven Honda running 25+ PSI of boost built motor or not which is the amount i run on the '03 day in & out on STOCK INTERNALS...
Old Feb 15, 2006, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Before melting the block a higher compression and weak rods comes to mind. a strong healthy S2000 block will handle 16~18 psi if upgraded internals are installed. Of course a perfect tune must be in the mix.

Aluminum blocks are lighter and EVO X will have one.
16-18PSI? that's lower than stock EVO boost.

as far as the EVO X goes, i will not buy 1 for that reason. Al blocks are best suited for NA or S/C cars. this is why STI's & WRX's melt piston #3 when they turn the boost up real high or slap on a big turbo kit.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Thats for sure. However, saying that turbo engines can't be as clean as NA is wrong. In fcat turbo engines are known to have less emession " known fact and some reading and searching will confirm this"

Honad is environmental friendly but they don't like turbos because of reliability issues. BMW tags alone with them on this part.
i agree as well & let's not forget all the small displacement Turbodiesel cars in Europe making 50-70+ mpg. looks like a green turbo car to me...
Old Feb 15, 2006, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

i agree as well & let's not forget all the small displacement Turbodiesel cars in Europe making 50-70+ mpg. looks like a green turbo car to me...
yeah, but how much hp are those turbo diesel car that gets 50-70 mpg. and diesel usually gets better mileage than gas anyways, turbo or not. i was talking about high performance turbo engine that has low emission. honda has been using turbo engines on their econo cars with low emission for awhile now, just not in their sport cars.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

U R missing the point. it did not say that hondas don't make power or that some are not fast, i merely pointed out that side by side, a honda 2.0L cannot run as much boost as the evo due to the aluminum block design. now if you took the EVO's turbo off & ran NA on both cars, the Honda would walk an EVO all day long. i have yet to SEE a street driven Honda running 25+ PSI of boost built motor or not which is the amount i run on the '03 day in & out on STOCK INTERNALS...
You are correct about a stock s2k cannot run as much boost as an EVO.

But you are incorrect about the reason being due to an aluminum block design. Reason it cannot run high boost like the EVO is due to compression/pistons/rods, etc

I hate to say your wrong again, but I have several friends that run 25lbs+ on built motors and yes, they are daily driven. Meaning not only do they drive these cars everyday, but they also drive long distances to get events, shows and races.

This is a link to just one site that builds motors, and they are pretty well known:
JG

You can also look up golden eagle.....many others as well.

There are many "hondas" that are running around with not just motor swaps, but fully built motor swaps with turbo. Example: www.stage6motorsports.com has a blue CRX with a built b20 and turbo.... 428hp last i knew at the wheels. This is a car that I saw on a daily basis when I lived there. Me and wrick (Pensacla) started a car club with a couple others, and we had several quick hondas in it. I had an STI for a while with TBE, ran 12.69@108, ran my buddy with the crx on the highway from a 60 mph roll.....within 15 seconds or so, you could barely see him anymore.

Don't mean to be offensive but I think it's good to know if your not familiar.....
*EDIT* heres a direct link to the CRX

Last edited by slo4g63; Feb 15, 2006 at 04:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Is the EVO IX the most powerful 4-Cylinder ever?