Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Rx8 Owner who love Evo's

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2006, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I test drove a Rx-8 i really liked it
Old Feb 16, 2006, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AnimagixRx8
Please guys, i know what you guys already going to say about my ride "handles great, slow as hell" I was well aware of the low torque and the questionable rotary engines and the bad mileage, but somehow I still love this car. It's a very civil drivers' car.

Anyway, If I wasn't in such a financial rut, I think I'd be driving an evo 8 mr or 9 mr by trading in my rx8 (which hasn't been completely paid off yet, hehe)

I'm not here to praise my NA rotary, actually here because after that big snow storm over the weekend I am having doubts about this car's practicality. I have snow tires and I couldn't even break free from a simple patch of ice. I think before that crazy record snowfall in new york, driving my rx8 was fine. Everytime I got behind of the wheel of my car and drive off, it erases any doubt I've had about it that since accumulated since I bought it last may. Sure the mileage sucks in the city (and sucks complete *** because it's cold, highway is much better) and it's underpowered (according to people who've come from bigger and faster cars). Other than that, i believe that the NA rotaries are completely bulletproof and am confident that I'll never run into problems with the engine as long as I feed it a few drops of oil ever 4th stop for gas. I have yet to encounter any problems with this car as I've had with my former Audi A4 (knock on wood).

I absolutely love the lan evo's and before it came the US, was my dream car. Eventually I'll get a chance to test drive it to completely convince me to leave my rx8.

On the other hand I find it hard to part with it despite so many flaws with the car. Magazines and critics praised the rotary left and right despite it being underpowered. I guess I'm feeling the same way. I'm also approaching 30 and nowadays speed isn't everything though, it's very tempting... I mean very VERY tempting.

nice meeting you all, btw.

Its not good if you have to justify to yourself your car is what you want... you will find very few evo owners on a mazda website with a post like yours...
Old Feb 16, 2006, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

I test drove an rx8 before getting my evo. I had my mind set on the rx8, i loved it. I liked how it drove, how smooth it was, how nice the interior was, everything about it. Then i started looking at mitsus and saw the evo. I have never once regretted getting the evo over the rx8.....never!
Old Feb 16, 2006, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lancerlover
When you say you have to put in oil after every 4rth gas tank...does it mean that you are burning oil?
oil is injected as part of the combustion mixture in rotary engines.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by ZOOMNRX7
I'm a Rx-7 owner which is currently for sale for 4500 if anybody wants a 1990, but the hp and tourqe on a NA rotary SUCKS!!!! I want to pick up an EVO, I think its very practical: snow, pavement, dirt, 4 doors.... I was looking into getting a newer rx-7 (twin turbo), then they are unreliable and 15000 dollars for a used car, I looked into the rx-8 but its week on power, not the best in snow, and resale blows...... EVO all the way.. but the fact that i can rev my car up to 9k rpms is cool.
Mazda tried to achieve twin turbo power with NA in the renesis. The renesis sucks as far as torque goes, it's actually a slightly slower s2000 with two rear seats. When the s2000 first came out, it actually put out numbers similar to when the rx8 first came out and over time it seemed to get better. Both of these cars aren't the greatest in straight line acceleration but are currently tearing up the autocross all over the place (in their respective class A and B)

I came from a awd sedan (a4) and driving in the most horrid weather conditions was never a problem, even with summer tires. I expected less in these conditions with RWD but still opted for such a car anyway because it blew me away as far as fun factor goes. AWD + Snow = lots of fun. RWD+snow=Fear.

I'm a big time rally fan and have always favored mitsu's evo.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by ashton13
Its not good if you have to justify to yourself your car is what you want... you will find very few evo owners on a mazda website with a post like yours...
I'm a big car guy with an average salary. There are a lot of things I want but can't get.
I'm not trying to justify purchasing my car, I just sometimes like to tell people what I think about others' cars because, I admire them. If an s2000 were to roll up to me and revved his engines, I'm the kinda dude who'd tell him what a cool ride he's got and go about my business.

Not trying to be a troll.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

I also came close to getting an RX-8 before getting my Evo. I loved the neutral handling and the way the engine revs so effortlessly to 9000 rpm. It was also cheap at $24,000.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

I test driven a RX-8 before I bought my evo and I like interior and the car looks beautiful but when I saw my Evo IX, the R quickly turned into an I and the 8 into a 9 and I bought the IX. I never looked back since, best decision I have ever made regarding cars.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 03:39 AM
DCD
Evolving Member

I had an RX8 before my Evo 8.
I liked it, but I got sick of the tiny boot, bad mileage, and suicide doors. They were cool for a few months, but then they were just annoying, especially in tight car parks.

I also got sick of the RX8's lack of power and torque. It did handle well though and I still double take when one drives past I think they are superb looking cars.

When I was looking for a car I wanted a sporty 4 door and was looking at the Evo but was put off by the high theft risk and crazy insurance here in NZ. So I got the Rx8 instead, and then 10 months later got sick of it and got the car that I should have got in the first place.

I've never looked back either.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 03:45 AM
Evolved Member

test drive the E9!
Old Feb 17, 2006, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

I had rx8 before I bought my evo.
I liked rx8,,but I didnt' love it.
Driving evo now makes me so happy whereas rx8 was just fun to drive.
You won't regret it.
Get the evo.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AnimagixRx8
Please guys, i know what you guys already going to say about my ride "handles great, slow as hell" I was well aware of the low torque and the questionable rotary engines and the bad mileage, but somehow I still love this car. It's a very civil drivers' car.

Anyway, If I wasn't in such a financial rut, I think I'd be driving an evo 8 mr or 9 mr by trading in my rx8 (which hasn't been completely paid off yet, hehe)

I'm not here to praise my NA rotary, actually here because after that big snow storm over the weekend I am having doubts about this car's practicality. I have snow tires and I couldn't even break free from a simple patch of ice. I think before that crazy record snowfall in new york, driving my rx8 was fine. Everytime I got behind of the wheel of my car and drive off, it erases any doubt I've had about it that since accumulated since I bought it last may. Sure the mileage sucks in the city (and sucks complete *** because it's cold, highway is much better) and it's underpowered (according to people who've come from bigger and faster cars). Other than that, i believe that the NA rotaries are completely bulletproof and am confident that I'll never run into problems with the engine as long as I feed it a few drops of oil ever 4th stop for gas. I have yet to encounter any problems with this car as I've had with my former Audi A4 (knock on wood).

I absolutely love the lan evo's and before it came the US, was my dream car. Eventually I'll get a chance to test drive it to completely convince me to leave my rx8.

On the other hand I find it hard to part with it despite so many flaws with the car. Magazines and critics praised the rotary left and right despite it being underpowered. I guess I'm feeling the same way. I'm also approaching 30 and nowadays speed isn't everything though, it's very tempting... I mean very VERY tempting.

nice meeting you all, btw.

just do it
trade it in for your dream car

or you will regret it later when the rotary doenst rotate anymore...
Old Feb 17, 2006, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

My wife had an RX-8 but I put an end to that w/ three flips.

It was a nice car, handled great, blah, blah, blah. I did like it just didn't seem fast enough though I think it was quicker than it felt. Worse, there didn't seem to be much of an upgrade path.

I can't say I was sad when the insurance company called to tell me it was totalled.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 10:04 AM
ZK
Evolved Member

I test drove the RX-8 at the Mazda zoom-zoom test drive event. It was ok, handled pretty good but in the end, I couldn't justify the car. I like RWD cars but the RX-8 didn't have the style or the performance I was looking for. It was ok and pretty good sports car value for your $ if that's what you are looking for. Plus the car looks really ugly from the rear quarter view.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

I test drove RX8, 350z, g35....comming from RSX-S. I really liked the leather interior package of rx8 and handled great and thought power was decent. After driving 05 EVo, my first choice of car. The steering response was better than all three car and handling was better and much better pull than all three cars. After a couple of mods ....damm am I glad i picked an EVO.

Quick Reply: Rx8 Owner who love Evo's