Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Rx8 Owner who love Evo's

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2006, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rx8 Owner who love Evo's

Please guys, i know what you guys already going to say about my ride "handles great, slow as hell" I was well aware of the low torque and the questionable rotary engines and the bad mileage, but somehow I still love this car. It's a very civil drivers' car.

Anyway, If I wasn't in such a financial rut, I think I'd be driving an evo 8 mr or 9 mr by trading in my rx8 (which hasn't been completely paid off yet, hehe)

I'm not here to praise my NA rotary, actually here because after that big snow storm over the weekend I am having doubts about this car's practicality. I have snow tires and I couldn't even break free from a simple patch of ice. I think before that crazy record snowfall in new york, driving my rx8 was fine. Everytime I got behind of the wheel of my car and drive off, it erases any doubt I've had about it that since accumulated since I bought it last may. Sure the mileage sucks in the city (and sucks complete *** because it's cold, highway is much better) and it's underpowered (according to people who've come from bigger and faster cars). Other than that, i believe that the NA rotaries are completely bulletproof and am confident that I'll never run into problems with the engine as long as I feed it a few drops of oil ever 4th stop for gas. I have yet to encounter any problems with this car as I've had with my former Audi A4 (knock on wood).

I absolutely love the lan evo's and before it came the US, was my dream car. Eventually I'll get a chance to test drive it to completely convince me to leave my rx8.

On the other hand I find it hard to part with it despite so many flaws with the car. Magazines and critics praised the rotary left and right despite it being underpowered. I guess I'm feeling the same way. I'm also approaching 30 and nowadays speed isn't everything though, it's very tempting... I mean very VERY tempting.

nice meeting you all, btw.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

I dont really know what to tell you bro, and I dont know what you want us to say for posting that.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

i actually debated between getting an RX8 before i got my evo. The deciding factor was when i went to look at how fast RX8's are turbo. After seeing they only run like 13.9/14.0 with a greddy turbo kit i decided to go with the evo. I like the look of the RX8. looks awesome.....
Old Feb 16, 2006, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Hey nice car I know what you mean about the snow. I have a g35 with 19x10's on the rear, sits on top of the snow even if it's .5 inches. If you can, keep the car, seems that rotaries are your passion, get a beater for the winter bad days. The EVO is good for what it does but it's totally different (not good or in a bad way) from the RX-8. Let us know what you end up doing. I am sure going into a Mitsu dealer with your rx-8 should warrant a test drive.... may have to prove some credit worthiness and serious buyer attitude also. Good luck.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

dude, just go test drive an evo. it's possible you'll be disappointed with the evo and prefer your RX. unlikely, but possible...
Old Feb 16, 2006, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I like the RX-8. I like the S2000 better. The main selling pt. for me on the EVO was the AWD I live where it snows so that sold me.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

yeah, was looking at the RX-8 too. the interior is just great! and it looks kind of mean, in a weird way. but I deceidet to let my dream come true instead get the car I REALLY want still waiting for the right one though...
Old Feb 16, 2006, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

well, you do love your RX8 so i wouldnt give up on that. but if you're itching to at least get a feel of what the EVO is like on the road, i'd so just go ahead and test one. i'm pretty sure that if you test one, you'll most definitely want to get it (not like im against RX8s or anything). but hey man, it's your preference. if you were to ask me if i would trade in my RX8 for an EVO (if i was in the same situation), i would test an EVO before i do anything else. put it this way, if you like the EVO and are willing to trade your RX8 for it, then go ahead. if you dislike the idea of trading in your RX8, then just stick with the car until you change your mind
Old Feb 16, 2006, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Does the fact that you have to add oil every 4th gas fillup not a problem enough? LOL ..
Old Feb 16, 2006, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

When you say you have to put in oil after every 4rth gas tank...does it mean that you are burning oil?
Old Feb 16, 2006, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOclub4
well, you do love your RX8 so i wouldnt give up on that. but if you're itching to at least get a feel of what the EVO is like on the road, i'd so just go ahead and test one. i'm pretty sure that if you test one, you'll most definitely want to get it (not like im against RX8s or anything). but hey man, it's your preference. if you were to ask me if i would trade in my RX8 for an EVO (if i was in the same situation), i would test an EVO before i do anything else. put it this way, if you like the EVO and are willing to trade your RX8 for it, then go ahead. if you dislike the idea of trading in your RX8, then just stick with the car until you change your mind

in short, do what ever you feel like
Old Feb 16, 2006, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Ditch it and don't look back
Old Feb 16, 2006, 05:01 PM

I actually called up a few dealers here. Told them that I have an rx8 6spd fully loaded and wanted to trade it in but, would have to be persuaded with the aid of a test drive. They were all D*cks about that and I do not have one friend in the tri-state area with an evo.

Rotaries burn at least a quart of oil every 3000 miles. After 10k miles or so, they stop getting oil thirsty. Plus the rotary gets stronger as it ages it seems.

I love the idea of turbo'ing my car. The only problem is, it's no longer a practical car because a turbo'd renesis would only give me 180 miles to the tank (highway) I could theoretically stay off boost, but that'd be driving 60 mph and staying under boost levels on the highway. That would suck on long road trips.

When I was car shopping, the only options were the rx8 and evo. Only car I got to test was the rx8. IF given the opportunity to feel both cars out, I'm pretty sure the choice would be a lot harder. Believe me guys, If i had the means, I'd get both. Until then I'll keep trying for a test drive.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AnimagixRx8
I actually called up a few dealers here. Told them that I have an rx8 6spd fully loaded and wanted to trade it in but, would have to be persuaded with the aid of a test drive. They were all D*cks about that and I do not have one friend in the tri-state area with an evo.

Rotaries burn at least a quart of oil every 3000 miles. After 10k miles or so, they stop getting oil thirsty. Plus the rotary gets stronger as it ages it seems.

I love the idea of turbo'ing my car. The only problem is, it's no longer a practical car because a turbo'd renesis would only give me 180 miles to the tank (highway) I could theoretically stay off boost, but that'd be driving 60 mph and staying under boost levels on the highway. That would suck on long road trips.

When I was car shopping, the only options were the rx8 and evo. Only car I got to test was the rx8. IF given the opportunity to feel both cars out, I'm pretty sure the choice would be a lot harder. Believe me guys, If i had the means, I'd get both. Until then I'll keep trying for a test drive.
See if there is someone in New York forums that lives near you, maybe he/she can help you out.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 05:39 PM

I'm a Rx-7 owner which is currently for sale for 4500 if anybody wants a 1990, but the hp and tourqe on a NA rotary SUCKS!!!! I want to pick up an EVO, I think its very practical: snow, pavement, dirt, 4 doors.... I was looking into getting a newer rx-7 (twin turbo), then they are unreliable and 15000 dollars for a used car, I looked into the rx-8 but its week on power, not the best in snow, and resale blows...... EVO all the way.. but the fact that i can rev my car up to 9k rpms is cool.

Quick Reply: Rx8 Owner who love Evo's