Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Weird encounter with the law

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2006, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird encounter with the law

So I'm in south Fla visiting parents for the weekend, took them out to dinner with the Evo tonight and got pulled over by a cruiser 5 minutes away from the house on the way back. I was doing 45 in a 45 zone and was wondering "What the hell...". We pulled into a gas station and after the officer checked my title/license, he approached with a REALLY nice tone, in fact before this I was sure cops are not capable of doing that. First he assured me my driving was good, and then asked if I own another car (no), if I knew my tag was expired (I know it's not), or have I recently purchased the car (no), I wasn't sure where he was going with all that, and it turns out the tag on my car was indeed under my name but it wasn't associated with a car when he ran it through the computer, I asked him how is that possible and he doesn't know the answer. I had the car for about 9 months and I was never pulled over for anything, apparently I was sorta driving without a tag all this time. So he said he's not gonna issue me a ticket since it was a mistake made by someone else and told me to go by a DMV asap and get this straighted out.

This is the weirdest thing I've heard, I bought the car brand new and it was a new tag as my previous car was a lease, how can anyone has a tag under their name without it being associated to a car? Don't people have to turn the tag in once the car is sold/junked/totaled? Has this happened to anyone else?
Old Feb 18, 2006, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like a DMV screw-up. I would hate to have to deal with VA DMV over any issue. Good luck fixing. Sounds like an oddball clerical mistake to me.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 07:37 PM

At times the DMV can be VERY slow. 9 months sounds a litte long however.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Now that I thought about it, since I live about 600 miles from where I bought my car, the first temp tag was expired before the real one came, so I actually went to my local DMV and paid $5 for an extension on the temp tag, the real one came in the mail about 3 days later. The officer was telling me my car was registered under what seems to be a temp tag, but still even that second temp tag should expired 7 months ago and the real tag should have been registered under the car by then.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

where in south florida where you pulled over at? yea but it does sound pretty weird to me also.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

It was on Lyon's road just south of Sawgrass Express Way in Coconut Creek, I pulled into the BP (I think) gas station in the Publix shopping center. I guess the cop has been following me for a while since he ran my tag through the computer before he pulled me over.