Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

93 Octane=Horsepower increase?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2006, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KawRider
Thanks for the input. Are you running 11.5 AFR? Is that still considered conservative and on the safe side? I seem to still get soot on my tailpipe with my tune, so I know Im still pretty rich. One more question. Do you have a Warbro fuel pump? Some people have been saying that the 9 has a better fuel pump (therefore the upgrade is not necessary), but I am undecided. My next mod will be cams (if they get the Mivec cams out.... or just an exhaust cam if they don't) and a 93 Octane tune. Im debating on the fuel pump upgrade.
I have one, because I have an VIII, but you supposedly don't need one. However, if you're going to be doing cams and such, you may as well go ahead and one for $85. It won't hurt as long as you get retuned for it.

11.5 on 93 is fine. I even get to 11.7 when I'm tuning myself, but right now on alky+93, I keep it in the low 11s as one of my safety measures for potential alky failure. When you're on 93, 11.5 won't be a problem, especially if you tune yourself. If someone else tunes you, they may keep it more conservative just for liability reasons. I don't think the soot is from running rich at WOT, though, so I don't think those are related. I can be on the lean edge and still get soot due to my test pipe. We spend most of our time in closed loop at 14.7 AFRs...
Old Feb 22, 2006, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe the soot is from the startup/warmup map (rich as hell?). Im planning on doing the evo nation a small favor. I am going to get a Walbro pump and replace my 9 pump. I will then get someone to loan me an 8 pump. I will then have the pumps dynoed by RC engineering (they have a fuel pump dyno). That will clear up this once and for all.
It may be a while before I do this... but it will happen.

Tim