Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Injen IC Pipe Help: ASAP

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2006, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injen IC Pipe Help: ASAP

If I'm posting this in the wrong spot, please move.

Installing the lower, passenger side intercooler piping from Injen...help w/few questions:

a) The black turbo outlet, how does it connect to the IC pipe? Does it use the stock rubber elbow or one of the smaller Injen couplers?

The Injen coupler is too damn small to provide a proper seal to the outlet pipe from the IC pipe. Does the stock rubber elbow have to be wrestled onto the thinner portion of the Injen pipe and then back onto the turbo outlet?

I've tried the SEARCH function and came back with endless results not pertaining to what I need...thx!

Last edited by Lgkaos; Feb 20, 2006 at 07:15 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Edit: Thought you were talking about the upper pipes...sorry

Last edited by tke_413; Feb 20, 2006 at 07:14 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

Well...wreslted the smaller Injen coupler 1/2 into the turbo outlet and 1/2 onto the IC pipe and managed to hold em in place while 2 of the braces were put in hella tight...to the point I thought the outlet/pipe would bend. Same with the end tank side...

Hope nothing comes loose on the drive home or Im SOL.
Does this setup look alright? Anyone have it set as so and driving OK?

and yes the pipe came with the logo upside down...
Old Feb 21, 2006, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

what a min... if thats the lower icp, then it should have come with the injen intercooler also... which means that it would have come with everything needed to hook up and vise versa. i dont know if its normal as u say it come like that, but maybe u have an irregular pipe being the logo is upside down. my upper is displayed beautifully and i dont think they wouldnt have wanted it displayed on the lower also..?
Old Feb 21, 2006, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

Update: Worked fine for quiet a few miles, tested it on the lot at full boost back and forth, then got on the freeway. Worked beautifully and yes I could definitley feel/hear the spool alot faster, but then WOOSH POP...and off it came. Funny part is my money was DEFINITELY on the outlet coming off, but the sucker was on there tight, the end tank side ended up coming off. Guess I'll have to redo but w/the T-clamps only now.

Just bought the intercooler hard pipe system by itself. The pipe itself fits fine, just the logo was upside down, and no it wasn't installed wrong, there's pretty much only one way that pipe (or any) would fit from the end tank to the turbo outlet.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

damn man goodluck with this...I had problems with my intercooler piping as soon as I turned my boost up with my flash to 21 psi. I was on the highway in fifth gear and got on it a little bit just enough to build about 10-12 pounds of boost and then a booom and i though my friggin engine blew it was soooo loud. Al of the sudden i forgot what side of the engine the turbo was on and though the piston went through the head lol i was lost. When i popped the hood i was soooo relieved to find out it was just the upper pipe that goes directly to the throttle body. wheww. Goodluck!!
Old Feb 21, 2006, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

The injen kit DOES NOT COME WITH THE LOWER COUPLER FOR THE LOWER IC PIPE . You have to use the stock one from the IC. My friend and I installed his and it is what should be used.

Hell..the kit doesnt even advertise a lower IC pipe, it just sneaks in there
Old Feb 21, 2006, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Use some muscle, tighten that sh*t on there. Just pretend you'll never want to take it off=P. Hope it will stay on this time.
Originally Posted by Lgkaos
Update: Worked fine for quiet a few miles, tested it on the lot at full boost back and forth, then got on the freeway. Worked beautifully and yes I could definitley feel/hear the spool alot faster, but then WOOSH POP...and off it came. Funny part is my money was DEFINITELY on the outlet coming off, but the sucker was on there tight, the end tank side ended up coming off. Guess I'll have to redo but w/the T-clamps only now.

Just bought the intercooler hard pipe system by itself. The pipe itself fits fine, just the logo was upside down, and no it wasn't installed wrong, there's pretty much only one way that pipe (or any) would fit from the end tank to the turbo outlet.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

no no, i knew u had to use the stock couplers... i was just under the assumption that u could only purchase the LICP hard kit with the intercooler itself?
Old Feb 22, 2006, 12:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by IDRINKV8
damn man goodluck with this...I had problems with my intercooler piping as soon as I turned my boost up with my flash to 21 psi. I was on the highway in fifth gear and got on it a little bit just enough to build about 10-12 pounds of boost and then a booom and i though my friggin engine blew it was soooo loud. Al of the sudden i forgot what side of the engine the turbo was on and though the piston went through the head lol i was lost. When i popped the hood i was soooo relieved to find out it was just the upper pipe that goes directly to the throttle body. wheww. Goodluck!!
yea that happen to me also on STOCK boost at WOT. just had to get some heavy duty clamps. no more problems. as for the thread starter it looks like you have the intake portion on the the intercooler piping area. i would suggest changing that ASAP.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i've installed 2 injen kits on Evo's, never used the stock clamps (used t-bolts) and i had no problems at all. its a pretty str8 forward install. the factory clamps are garbage.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by donmeca2020
as for the thread starter it looks like you have the intake portion on the the intercooler piping area. i would suggest changing that ASAP.
I have the bent pipe on the left hand side of the following pic as the pipe leading from the turbo outlet to the end tank. It's the only one that even fits at all..believe me, I doubted myself for a while too and tried using the other pipe (one without the obvious little outlet for the diverter/BOV) and no dice. I just need to use the supplied T-bolt clamps is all...I'll even use an extra one just to be sure.

Also, this is the kit I purchased. It's not the Intake w/upper pipe. It does come with all needed coupler but there a little short.

Last edited by Lgkaos; Feb 22, 2006 at 05:08 PM.