Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Brand New Evo9 (electric Blue) Stolen!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by smokedmustang
Agreed. they took it out of a "locked" lot, and drove over a curb, and thru some bushes. People in this town know me and the car. They think it could be an inside job, "x" employee etc... unsure.
its def someone who knows enough about an evo and the dealership
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSMorBUST
is it really that simple jakeg97 ? i guess that would be true w/ just about every car then?
probably not.... the key would be different so you cant turn the ignition. and i dont know at what point the Anti-Theft Engine Immobilizer gets disconnected. when the key is turned , or just near the ecu.

or if a modified ecu / aem was used to totally get around the immobilizer, and a screwdriver to turn the ignition

or an inside job where the actually key could be obtained.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

...or test drive the car, get the key copied - THEN swap ECUs...

That's why I never did, and still dont understand how car dealers will let people test drive a car for an hour at times, without a dealer with them.

Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
such garbage.... I hate news like this. BUT, didn't they tell you who the test driver was?? That is to say, don't they know who this person was, or did he walk up and say he knows you and they threw him the keys????
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MattGold
...or test drive the car, get the key copied - THEN swap ECUs...

That's why I never did, and still dont understand how car dealers will let people test drive a car for an hour at times, without a dealer with them.

exactly!!! The key only has to be near the key cylinder. So if someone had a IX ecu and a matching key, than goodnite immobilizer. Thats why i tell people to get alarms because it takes a lot longer and a lot more skill to get around that. In these cars, the ecu is way TOOOOOOOO accessible. Protect yourselves because these things will start going like civics and integras in a few.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

I used to work at a VW dealership and we had a Mitsu dealership next door that got a 03 used BBY evo stolen off the lot. They found it like a month later. Story was that the theif test drove it and there were 2 ingnition keys on the key ring and he took one off without the salesman seeing it. He then came back later that night and just drove off like it was his. Check this out though, the way the car was found was that he kept racing it up and down his street....lol, what a retard, and the neigbors called the cops on him. Long story short, he's in jail and the evo was recovered better than original, the guy actually put a turbo timer, bov, intake, and electronic boost controller in it. LMAO. There was probly a reason why he couldn't afford one in the first place

Last edited by gotevo?; Feb 21, 2006 at 11:12 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

man thats probably how the got my friends evo.. thing was parked right in front of his house... i had no idea evos were so easy to steal... thats pretty scary to think they will go like civics/integras/camarys/accords... i thought the whole idea of the immobilizer was to make the car "un-stealable"? but im obviously wrong... damn Mitsu should look into that stuff...
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:44 AM

Yeah Smoked, I called up there yesterday and talked to Bob and he told me about that. I hope everything gets worked out. Its a real bummer though because that is the color I was wanting. He told me he would try to find another one and give me a call back today though.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PGDlancer
such garbage.... I hate news like this. BUT, didn't they tell you who the test driver was?? That is to say, don't they know who this person was, or did he walk up and say he knows you and they threw him the keys????
Again, I go up to the dealership alot, "my second home", and they showed my a copy of the drivers liscence, and asked me if i knew him. I said "Never saw him before" and the sales manager said " He knows you, he mentioned your name". They tried the cell number he left (test driver) and the number was bogus. There was a salesperson with him the whole test-drive. Didn't swipe the key there. IT WAS BRAND NEW, and the only EB evo9 around. I am not sure that the "test-driver" is involved, but then again, you never know! Could be someone who wrecked their evo (totalled) and switched VIN #'s. I am not sure. will keep you posted.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spoolin BluEvo
Yeah Smoked, I called up there yesterday and talked to Bob and he told me about that. I hope everything gets worked out. Its a real bummer though because that is the color I was wanting. He told me he would try to find another one and give me a call back today though.
He will find you one! it was SWEET! BOB hoye is the man! I bought mine off him in July 03.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gotevo?
I used to work at a VW dealership and we had a Mitsu dealership next door that got a 03 used BBY evo stolen off the lot. They found it like a month later. Story was that the theif test drove it and there were 2 ingnition keys on the key ring and he took one off without the salesman seeing it. He then came back later that night and just drove off like it was his. Check this out though, the way the car was found was that he kept racing it up and down his street....lol, what a retard, and the neigbors called the cops on him. Long story short, he's in jail and the evo was recovered better than original, the guy actually put a turbo timer, bov, intake, and electronic boost controller in it. LMAO. There was probly a reason why he couldn't afford one in the first place
lol
what a dumba$$

he could have gotten a major downpayment for a new evo if he just stripped the stolen one and sold it for parts
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

it's stupid stealing an Evo b/c it stands out like a sore thumb...even worse stealing an EB Evo...yes, everyone stares at our cars. EB isn't exactly the most common Evo either.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Turbo Meg
Sounds like a inside job to me.
+1 hope everything turns out alright...
Old Feb 21, 2006, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

I doubt mitsubishi is really worried about 1 vehicle. The insurance policy that they have will definetly cover that
Old Feb 21, 2006, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

I doubt mitsubishi is really worried about 1 vehicle. The insurance policy that they have will definetly cover that..does suck though. Wonder when they get it back will it be a salvage title or what.