Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Stock EVO 8 vs. Modded RSX-S (video)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2003, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
look at the picture I'm sure the camera and the way it was captured on the computer has alot to do with what the speed "looks" like. The file may have been recorded at a lower frame-rate.
Old Apr 1, 2003, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exactly, they passed that truck fast! I know the guy with the RSX and have been to the track with him before. Lately, he's been putting down 14.1 @ 100mph in the 1/4 mile. I'm sure without those two passengers that would've been a close race. Not to mention, we're in California where we only have 91 octane gas.
Old Apr 1, 2003, 08:46 PM

I was hoping this site didn't turn into a fanboy site, but oh well.....

Originally posted by drmosh
Hahahh that video was utter crap... I don't think an RSX can beat an Evo if god was driving it and it had a V8 dropped in it...

what crap
WEAK
Old Apr 1, 2003, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by drmosh
Hahahh that video was utter crap... I don't think an RSX can beat an Evo if god was driving it and it had a V8 dropped in it...

what crap
WEAK
I agree. There's no way an RSX can beat an evo. I beat them in my almost stock eclipse all the time. It's hard for me to beleive the rsx can beat an evo even with mods....it takes forced induction to actually give a honda motor some decent power. drmosh and I drove an RSX a few weeks ago...it was fast for a honda but felt super dull compared to my turbo eclipse. Going to redline is like someone scratching a chalkboard with their finger nails......way way too whiny for my tastes. Even if it is as fast as the evo, i'd rather pay the extra 8 grand for the evo and cruise in style.
Old Apr 1, 2003, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

damn man.....every1's gotta calm down, it seems as if nearly everybody is getting butthurt over this whole RSX-S vs Evo8 race....**** happens, people lose...the EVO is not GOD...it WILL lose to cars, u people do know this right? Look at the stats as mentioned above...the EVO outweighs the RSX-S by nearly 400lbs PLUS he had 2 people in it, totaling about 700lbs over the stock rsx-s weight (then subtract the weight of the driver in the rsx-s) ... then, the rsx-s has 6 gears and SUPPOSEDLY it has better top end than the evo (that is, with these mods)....the RSX TYPE-S was not stock, it was modded...so i DO believe it has the capability of beating an EVO, HOWEVER, it ALSO depends A LOT on the drivers capabilities.....

Drawing a conclusion, the EVO most likely lost, and from the picture it looks as if they WERE going about 145ish....You win some....you lose some, it's part of life.
Old Apr 1, 2003, 11:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Dem1K
damn man.....every1's gotta calm down, it seems as if nearly everybody is getting butthurt over this whole RSX-S vs Evo8 race....**** happens, people lose...the EVO is not GOD...it WILL lose to cars, u people do know this right? Look at the stats as mentioned above...the EVO outweighs the RSX-S by nearly 400lbs PLUS he had 2 people in it, totaling about 700lbs over the stock rsx-s weight (then subtract the weight of the driver in the rsx-s) ... then, the rsx-s has 6 gears and SUPPOSEDLY it has better top end than the evo (that is, with these mods)....the RSX TYPE-S was not stock, it was modded...so i DO believe it has the capability of beating an EVO, HOWEVER, it ALSO depends A LOT on the drivers capabilities.....

Drawing a conclusion, the EVO most likely lost, and from the picture it looks as if they WERE going about 145ish....You win some....you lose some, it's part of life.
You can't draw conclusions on cars you've never driven, I have driven RSX-S's and EVOs, and I'm sorry, unless you have a twin turbo on an RSX-S you won't beat an EVO towing a baby elephant... totally different league...

The video is poor, real poor.

Let's put it this way, if it's driver's capabilities, whoever owned that EVO really needs to GIVE IT AWAY.
Old Apr 1, 2003, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

im not drawing conclusions....im stating facts that i see through this video ... as i said, he could have been a horrible ****in driver....OR....he could have just been ****in around w/ his buddy....the only reason why i posted in here was cuz after reading all these posts in here, it seems as if every1 seems the EVO is god....just like the rest of u im in LOVE with the Evo....but people have to realize that it WILL lose to other cars...alot of people disregard that fact and seem to be in complete denial when the two words "evo" and "lost" are in the same sentence. Whatever, people just need to open their eyes to reality and not fantasy.
Old Apr 2, 2003, 12:05 AM
Evolving Member

It may be hard to believe but the RSX has a detuned JDMspec Type-R engine and has some good potential. Just with an ECU, CAI and better tires, I dropped my times from 15.1@93 to 14.3@96. There are a lot of other RSX owners in the low 14's and high 13's and this is with no turbo or nitrous.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...threadid=47794

Sure, stock RSX is not that quick - nothing new here....
Old Apr 2, 2003, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

you guys are ACTING like big headed snobs...

the EVO we all agree is an AWESOME car out of the factory and is one of my favorites, but you can mod a civic to beat a viper... obviously this RSX is moded, we all know a STOCK RSX does not stand a chance from the line, but from a roll (like in the movie) the STOCK RSX won't get dropped as fast as it would from a dead stop, now from a roll, with a modded RSX, that video is indeed very possible, if you look, the RSX isn't SMOKIN the evo, it's crawling away at 100+... RSX is an NA high rev'in banger that w/ mods can take a STOCk evo... definately a real video

now, we talk about a modded EVO, and we all know the out come there...

get your heads out of the sky people
Old Apr 2, 2003, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by nykwan
Some of you guys are so defensive.
It's so very possible. First, with those mods, the RSX-S probably dynos ~200whp. The Evo has more power, but weighs ~400lbs more. Plus in the original linked post, the he says the Evo has two passengers in the car. Add in the two passengers and your looking at an Evo weighing ~700lbs more than the RSX-S. All that weight negates any HP advantage the Evo may have had. No controversy here that I can see.

The weight might be possible for slowing it down in the race...but they are full of it if they say they were going 155mph. I have driven at speeds up to 180mph before and can assure you that the scenery would be FLYING by at the 155mph they claim. When they are passing other cars and signs it looks like about 85 mph or 95mph maybe. Plus, as was said before, the Evo motor would be SCREAMING just like ANY car would at that high speed. Plus, sorry, but an RSX with light mods like that will NOT do 155 mph. No way. Looks like a load. Oh...and I am not an Evo snob....check my sig....I have all Honda and Acura cars with the exception of my Evo 8. So I am just being real.

Last edited by Meeyatch1; Apr 2, 2003 at 09:17 AM.
Old Apr 2, 2003, 10:17 AM

The speedo is never accurate at the highspeeds, so 155 was probably ~140 -145 for real. But they were going for real.

And have you ever video taped going that fast. I have been on roadcourses at ~100mph and it looked real fast from where I was sitting. But if I show the in car video to people, they think I was only going ~60. It never looks that fast on camera.

Plus, I don't know if I would really call them light mods on the RSX. Have you seen what guys are dynoing with those mods, esp the Hondata ecu. If he adds Type R cams to what he's already got, those guys are dynoing ~220-230 whp. So his car must be ~200whp.

So if we use ~200 whp + ~2900lbs for the RSX, and ~3500lbs( Evo with 2 extra people) and ~230whp, we can do some math estimates: ~2900lbs/200whp = ~14.5whp/lb vs. ~3500/230=15.21whp/lb.
yes, these are just estimates, but it gives you an idea. The Evo is not that much more powerful and undefeatable in this case.

Also, I just talked to my friend who has a 400hp Eclipse GSX, and he says that it is way possible. And that similar power GST's pull on him on highspeed highway runs because of AWD wasting some power vs just 2 wheels.

Originally posted by Meeyatch1

The weight might be possible for slowing it down in the race...but they are full of it if they say they were going 155mph. I have driven at speeds up to 180mph before and can assure you that the scenery would be FLYING by at the 155mph they claim. When they are passing other cars and signs it looks like about 85 mph or 95mph maybe. Plus, as was said before, the Evo motor would be SCREAMING just like ANY car would at that high speed. Plus, sorry, but an RSX with light mods like that will NOT do 155 mph. No way. Looks like a load. Oh...and I am not an Evo snob....check my sig....I have all Honda and Acura cars with the exception of my Evo 8. So I am just being real.
Old Apr 2, 2003, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

So if we use ~200 whp + ~2900lbs for the RSX, and ~3500lbs( Evo with 2 extra people) and ~230whp, we can do some math estimates: ~2900lbs/200whp = ~14.5whp/lb vs. ~3500/230=15.21whp/lb.
yes, these are just estimates, but it gives you an idea. The Evo is not that much more powerful and undefeatable in this case.

Good post. About time someone just calculates the power to weight ratio and lays this to rest.
Old Apr 2, 2003, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

And have you ever video taped going that fast. I have been on roadcourses at ~100mph and it looked real fast from where I was sitting. But if I show the in car video to people, they think I was only going ~60. It never looks that fast on camera.

Also, I just talked to my friend who has a 400hp Eclipse GSX, and he says that it is way possible. And that similar power GST's pull on him on highspeed highway runs because of AWD wasting some power vs just 2 wheels.

Yes..I have taped at high, high speeds....and 155mph looks WAY faster than only 100 mph. There is a dramatic difference. Plus, where is the high, near redline, engine noise in the video??

I will give you the benefit of the doubt about your "friend" actually knowing something and not just talking. I am skeptical only because I hear all day, "...well..my friend said it would work..." on tire applications and such and the people know diddly.

Either way..yeah, it could be real, I just really have some doubts.
Old Apr 2, 2003, 12:00 PM

i'm sorry fellas...but you guys are so attached to your evo....It's not unbeatable....Lemme tell you RSX can reach 101-102 trap speed with that hondata chip.......Its gearing is definitely designed for highway speed....So get up and wash your face to wake up....This is possible (EVO can lose)....

Well, unless...EVO's trap speed is like 105 (STOCK)... I'll say BS to the video....But I believe evo's trap speed is like 99ish (91 octane)....
Old Apr 2, 2003, 12:15 PM

I personally don't like highway racing
1/4 mile is the best place to see the power of the engine, from stop to go, you can see which engine gets the car moving quicker.

As far as this race goes, I am not commenting results as long as I see it live. That EVO dude didn't look like he was trying to push the car to its limits, whereas the RSX dude looked like he was redlining the moflo out of his honda engine.

Quick Reply: Stock EVO 8 vs. Modded RSX-S (video)