Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

xfer case whine...is there a cheaper solution???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xfer case whine...is there a cheaper solution???

pretty much what the title says. i have the dreaded xfer case whine on my 03 evo, been driving with it for 1000+ miles crossing my fingers that it doesn't seize. i'm trying to sell the car as is, but potential customers lose interest once i tell them about $3000ish they would have to spend to replace it (car does not have warranty mind you). i know doesn't sell any individual parts for it, but does someplace do? something under $1000 would be great.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

just buy a quafe LSD for 1,500 from RRE.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

But he still needs a new transfer case. If it's whining allready you need a new one. If you have an 03 then you still have a warrenty. Have your dealer replace it under warrenty.

I just got mine replaced buy the dealer a few days ago.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

buy mine. i am selling it for $950 shipped. your old t-case might also be worth money.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 04:35 AM
Evolving Member

Is this something that you hear when downshifting? I have a strange "whining" sound when i'm going from 4th to 3rd or 3rd into 2nd (which i rarely do). Is this covered under the power train warranty?
Old Feb 22, 2006, 04:49 AM
CGs
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Matt-Helm
Is this something that you hear when downshifting? I have a strange "whining" sound when i'm going from 4th to 3rd or 3rd into 2nd (which i rarely do). Is this covered under the power train warranty?
Your 'downshifting noise' could be some sort of backpressure noise. It could also just be the sounds of the synchros spinning if you're not rev-matching. I might be wrong, too bad there isn't a way I could hear it for myself.

If I'm not mistaken, the whining from a transfer case that's about to die sounds more like a siren -- not a whir. A 'whir' could just be the throwout bearing - you fix this by getting a new clutch.

Has anyone ever made a recording of the sounds a bad transfer case makes that these guys could listen to??

If you're under warrenty, the best advise would be to just have it checked out at the dealer

Last edited by CGs; Feb 22, 2006 at 05:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 22, 2006, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Damn it I should of recorded my TC, it was really bad. At 65mph your ears would actually hurt and you would have to speed up or slow down, lol.

Yeah it is more like a loud siren. TC is covered by Powertrain for 60k in the 03's.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

My transfer case whines, from day one. I can hear it in the lower gears but not on the highway or when driven about 25mph. It is not very loud a slight whine. Is this normal?
Old Feb 22, 2006, 06:46 AM
CGs
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SR20DE-T
My transfer case whines, from day one. I can hear it in the lower gears but not on the highway or when driven about 25mph. It is not very loud a slight whine. Is this normal?
It's probably normal, especially if you haven't beat on your '05 too hard. But like I said before, let a tech at the dealership listen to it if you're worried.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a minor whine noise at idle when the car is cold, once car warms the whine noise is no more.. I am thinking it is my belts
Old Feb 22, 2006, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

send it to TRE, they can fix it
Old Feb 22, 2006, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

TRE is the place to go (buddy sent is Galant Tranny to them today) which is what I'm thinking but I'm beginning to believe its normal.

The T-case has been replaced 2 times on my EVO and the noise is still the same.It was doing it from the min I picked it up from the dealer after it was replaced.Orig owner got it replaced because of a noise ( 1 mth before I got it after checking the History on the car).

I bought it from my Dealership and it was leaking (& whining) - so they replaced it again....then it was leaking again and the replaced a Seal that wasn't even in there - all in about a 3 week span.

My whine is only when really on the Throttle or still in gear letting off the throttle so it very well could be the clutch or something (OEM) but @ 3k rpms it stops when I'm in 5th gear otherwise its Slightly loud when cruising.
It never just whines @ idle.

Car runs great and the clutch is just now giving me some dumb issues but nothing major.I may replace it anyway in a few weeks.

NINJA EDIT: and I made sure they use the right oil GL-5 (not equalviliant) ONLY so its not the oil I have found out that someone told me it may be because of.

Check the oil they are using in yours.

Is there no way to put the newer T-Case from the 05 in the 03? I hear its bigger...but def dosen't whine??
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

hey guys...sorry for the late response. i'm not sure if i made this clear, buy my car does not have the factory powertrain warrenty since the dealer found out that my car has been in a wreck that involved patching the frame.

I thought about getting my xfer case built, but the cost was way more than $1000.

How much do you think i could sell my xfer case core for? i noticed a lot of metal shavings when i pulled the drain plug.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

and it is a very audible whine from 2-5th gear...the sound lessens a lot when i get off the gas. it's been diagnosed (by warrtalon) as a xfer case that's about to crap out on me
Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gb_junkie
hey guys...sorry for the late response. i'm not sure if i made this clear, buy my car does not have the factory powertrain warrenty since the dealer found out that my car has been in a wreck that involved patching the frame.

I thought about getting my xfer case built, but the cost was way more than $1000.

How much do you think i could sell my xfer case core for? i noticed a lot of metal shavings when i pulled the drain plug.
I think "superhatch" is selling hie TRE 2003 T-case (open front diff) for $850 or so

Quick Reply: xfer case whine...is there a cheaper solution???