Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO as a daily driver.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2006, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO as a daily driver.

Alright well I have been seriously interested in picking up a used EVO, probobly an 03 or 04 however reliability issues as well as being a very tricky car when buying used have brought me to consider other options as well. I understand completely that the STi is as hard to buy used as the EVO, I love the feel of it however and most EVO owners have told me that they would rather have an STi as a daily driver but do indeed love there EVO's. The STi's have stock HIDs right? I have driven many but I wonder what they go for, for an 04 with 40k or so? I wish I knew why the STi was more expensive brand new and obviously that is what drives the used prices to be a bit higher than an EVO but for some reason the STi seems like it would be a better daily driver.

I live in Maine and have also considered shelling out less dollars and getting an SRT-4, lots of bang for the buck but in the same sense modding the way I'd like I'd surely need a winter car... an STi or EVO could get me through an entire year, I hear that as far as maintinence issues or weak parts the STi is indeed a bit stronger, stronger transmission and a stronger clutch, the only thing that scares me is that I know first hand that Subaru dealers, most anyways LOVE to let ANYone test drive them and hammer on them regardless of the break in period, including the salesman who insist on SHOWING what the car has to the customer when in actuallity they want to beat on it so private sale would be the way to go so I could get a feel for the owner. All in all I wonder because it seems as if the STi is a better, stronger daily driver and the EVO is better fit as a race car, kinda sucks that the STi takes uber cash to even run with the EVO, they respond to mods like crap I hear but that is one of the reasons I'd like to have one, it's too expensive to mod so less temptation.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
OK.

Are you asking some type of question or just making a statement?
Old Feb 22, 2006, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Buy the EVO, and start driving it and enjoy
Old Feb 22, 2006, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

drive both, buy the one you like better, it's that simple.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 06:51 AM
Evolving Member

No I have driven both, this isnt intended to be an EVO vs. STi thread I am simply just looking for input on which car would be a better fit in regards to reliability.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

OMG are you kidding? Why do you keep posting these redundant threads?
Old Feb 22, 2006, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

dont buy and 03-04 for a daily driver.. I would daily drive a new evo.. im forced to drive my 03 and it sucks.. the cars start to develope alot of weird noises and creaks as they age.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

every car is different. My best friend has had an STI for about year and he had to fix one thing with his suspension that just randomly broke because of POS pot holes in our area. I've had no problems with my evo except for the clips on the front bumper are loose and will probably need replacing.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 06:56 AM
CGs
Evolving Member

I daily drove my '03 Evo for about half a year -- no complaints! Now I usually just drive her on Fridays and weekends, but she's still going strong just over 30k miles.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

mine is my daily, about to hit 60k miles on mine.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

They start to develope alot of creeks and weird noises? There noisy cars to begin with but too bad it seems as if higher mileage drains the hell out of these cars, too bad considering they have been making evos forever.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

these reliability questions are getting stupid already. there are people with over 100k miles on their evos and doing fine, but im sure an srt-4 would hold up as well (answering your other thread which is right above this one). i drive my evo daily in philadelphia traffic and on long trips 300miles plus when i go back to Boston, no complaints here. Just go buy one of the three cars you keep asking about and a few yrs from now let us know how youre doing. in the meantime there is a search function that would be pretty helpful in your case.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bdking57
dont buy and 03-04 for a daily driver.. I would daily drive a new evo.. im forced to drive my 03 and it sucks.. the cars start to develope alot of weird noises and creaks as they age.

What car doesnt start to develop "weird" noises and creaks as it ages? Especially high performance cars. If you wanted a nice quiet smooth ride you shouldn't have bought an Evo.

I would recommend buying a daily driver no matter what you buy. This is just from reading through you post. If you have driven both and still need to ask the question about needed a daily driver or not, you need one.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Just buy a SRT-4, and put on snow tires for the winter. And it is cheaper then both the STI and EVO to mod.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

dont buy and 03-04 for a daily driver.. I would daily drive a new evo.. im forced to drive my 03 and it sucks.. the cars start to develope alot of weird noises and creaks as they age
What ****ing car does not make noise?Dont listen to this idiot...the 03,04,and 05 and even the IX all drive with that stiff and rough ride on the road...expect the MR to be alil better for daily driving. This guy makes it sound like a 03 or 04 is the worst thing ever to come out lol you should of bought a honda it seems. I have a 04 RS for my daily driver and i love it...stiff ride and all. I have come to hate driving anything that does not have that stiff rough ride that the evo has. The evo is for that raw performance...its pretty much a race car...and anyone getting or wanting to get an evo should know that it wont drive like a BMW or something.

Last edited by AtO-MiX; Feb 22, 2006 at 08:25 AM.