Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVOlution with 100k

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2006, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Some things to consider, F0rcedFed:
- An Evo is a high maintenance car (read: synthetic oil, regular transmission fluid changes, expensive tires, alignments, tune-ups, clutch, etc, etc)
- Don't buy a used Evo, unless you can afford to rebuild it, a lot of ppl beat the **** out of them and then dump them
- the longevity of any car is directly related to how well you take care of it and how well you drive it
- An Evo is a , so rust proofing, quality of paint, fit and finish are not that great. Again a lot of care will have to be taken for the car to last a long time

l8r)

Not to derale the subject to far, but how about buying a used Evo and spending the money you "saved" on a built engine, etc... Assuming you have the cash for the new engine of course. I guess a couple things it would depend on are what you intend to use the car for and how much you really saved by buying used. Plus if you can work on it yourself or not. etc...
Old Feb 22, 2006, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Turbopit
Not to derale the subject to far, but how about buying a used Evo and spending the money you "saved" on a built engine, etc... Assuming you have the cash for the new engine of course. I guess a couple things it would depend on are what you intend to use the car for and how much you really saved by buying used. Plus if you can work on it yourself or not. etc...
As long as you know what you are getting into and are prepared for it, then why not? I would love to pick up an inexpensive RS and turn it into a track car - but unlike the average guy looking to pick up an Evo, I can afford to have an engine built, etc.

I think there have been more than a handful of people who have bought used Evos, thinking that they are getting a great deal, only to find out later that the car had been "rode hard and put away wet" by the previous owner. That's why I generally tell people to be very careful when buying a used Evo.

l8r)
Old Feb 22, 2006, 08:56 AM
Account Disabled

You should not buy the Evo and spare us all. I know I didn't buy mine because it would last forever. I bought mine so I can own the roads. If you'd like to do the same get one of these and stop askin these types of questions. Pick up your skirt grab your ba**s and get ready for the ride of your life. And never compare my car to a Dodge, thats just uncalled for. Like the guys said if your lookin for reliability go Honda.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

I'll be happy to get mine past 20K. It already has problems.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by forbidden color
I guess Warrtalon thinks he represents all the evo owners here.

That attitude is getting pretty annoying.

I actually bought the Evo, because I know the engines proven deal and I know it'll last more than 200,000 miles, since crankwalk cases are minimal, unlike the DSM engines.

it's sedan, i have close to 100,000 miles and I had no problem whatsoever with it.

That's with 2 seasons of Auto-x on Sundays, which is followed by Drag Racing Friday and Saturday. I probably have over 800 launches on my car, especially at Steel (no wait)

I had to replace some parts, like clutch and what not, but my transmission is strong, engine is strong and every other components are great.

I probably need to change out the Timing belts and few other componets needs to be upgraded to balance out the power and wear, but I have good feeling it'll still be strong over 100K and beyond.

Good point, because a lot of people think this car wont last, thinking this is some sort of Mustang drag car that blows up everytime at the drag racing.

But the thing is most of the owners here are weekend warriors that daily drive their cars.

I don't know why most of you think this car isn't made well.

The fit and finish is better than most honda's out there, interior is a bit weak but that's why you only pay 30K for the car.

I think Evo's a great car that I'll have well over 200,000 miles.

You don't buy the Evo to just blow it up after 50,000 miles do you?

The problem is that most people on this board think they're some hardcore racers because they drag race on weekends. That snobby attitude don't carry out that well.

You don't see real racers being an a hole in this board do you?

Real Evo owners who Love this car to death does care about how long the car will last and think ahead about what they need to do to keep the car maintained well.

All the Evo owners who does go out and race on weekends who daily drive, we get together and talk about maintainance and issues that may come up in the near future.

Seems like that's what we talk about more and more as the mileage pile on more and more.

It's nice to have a 1000whp drag car, but if you blow it everytime you run it, what's the point in that? You're not a pro drag racer where you change your engine out every run.

I plan on buying a used RS shortly to make that into a dedicated road track car. Which in turn, my 03 will still be a street car that'll be daily driven without any problems.

Evo's a good car overall. If you doubt that you shouldn't be in this board. Most of the problems you'll see will be the tuners fault, or drivers fault.
I agree with what you are saying man.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Reliability? Warranty? lasting past 100k miles?!?!....man I just bought one for the big wing and the 4 doors haha
Old Feb 22, 2006, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

I think you guys might be missing the point. He is probably asking about an evo with 100k miles because he wants to buy one used with that many miles. Check out his other threads. He seems to be a college student who is low on funds, and that's the reason for his question. Just a thought.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This guy is just as bad as the other kid who would post a new poll everyday...his name escapes me at the moment.

While being curious and inquisitive on a message board where you don't own the car is OK, posting the same regurgitated questions is ANNOYING. If you can't afford an Evo, don't buy it. If you are single, you need to be making atleast 50k a year to comfortably live with an Evo...case closed.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by prostcj
I'll be happy to get mine past 20K. It already has problems.
That's unfortunate because there are many people with way higher miles than you with little or no problems. BTW, are you stock? I just find it funny when people b*tch about reliability when they mod the car. Not assuming that's you but at least many others.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Here is a thought.. Iv got an modded 03 with 63K miles.. yes its getting creaky and annoying, but the car will be paid off within the year.. and evo with no car payment is a nice thing, now i could get all antsy and freak out trading for a brand new evo IX MR.. have it stock and get stock with payments or whatever.. but and evo is an evo and with all the mods I have already, Id be willing to just dump in a TRE transmision, new clutch, AMS motor and a new turbo in the car and it would be a millions times better then owning a boring old stock evo IX MR in performance.. not to mention the possibility of wide body and new paint jobs. Thats why i dont neccesarily think used evos are a bad investment as they are not expensive to make better then new.. unlike cars like audis where your gonna pay a fortune for the tranny.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

but and evo is an evo and with all the mods I have already, Id be willing to just dump in a TRE transmision, new clutch, AMS motor and a new turbo in the car and it would be a millions times better then owning a boring old stock evo IX MR in performance
Well of course it would be better than a stock evo...Its heavily modded by that point.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

His point is that instead of dropping 34g's on a new MR and making payments again for 5 years for a stock car he can take like 10g's and improve the car perform even better at 70k miles and yet spend a lot less, even without a warranty in which the majority on this board already know that mitsu's "best backed warranty" stinks....I see his point and im in the same boat, I will hopefully have my 04 Evo until the day I die or the car dies (hopefully not at the same time) and improve it as I get the funds to do so
Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
srt4 will be cheaper to fix and i dont read about many problems....we have tranny and transfer case problems occasionally...but if you take care of it theres no reason for that to happen....the question is how will you treat it... if your worried about reliabilty maybe you should consider a Acura tl...270 hp and youll get 500,000 miles out of it lol
Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

yeah.. no kidding.. so why would I trade up. Im guessing there are certain situation where trading up is worth it.. but we just had a guy make crazy power on his cammed 03 evo with 63K miles by putting a stock IX turbo on the car.. thats a 1K unit.. thats is really the most significant difference between the cars. Im just trying to force people to think about what there doing before they make a stupid fiancial move and run out and sell their VIII for a IX.. there are certain people that can do this, but others are just pissing money away that cannot afford to do so... I see this so much in the evo community that it makes me sad, then we see all these evos for sale becuase people bit off way more then they could chew.. and that oblierates our re sell value.

Originally Posted by AtO-MiX
Well of course it would be better than a stock evo...Its heavily modded by that point.

Last edited by bdking57; Feb 22, 2006 at 11:52 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

well put...i get you

Quick Reply: EVOlution with 100k