Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVOlution with 100k

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2006, 06:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVOlution with 100k

I was wondering what you guys thought the EVO would be like with 100k on it providing it was a well taken care of Evolution, would you think the performance would be the same as when new or low mileage used or will it die out and get tired then the expensive maintinence comes in? Take an N/A car for example, chances are the performance is going to be the same when the odometer hits higher mileage but I didn't know if these cars should be expected to become tired or if you would just have to replace the stock turbo at some point but then It'd run like new, I would love an EVO and am planning on getting one or an SRT-4 depending on what kind of result from research I get, I am sure that I will fall in love with an EVO being an owner, I have driven a few and already do but as most loves I would want to have piece of mind that if taken care of my EVO would be good to go if I decided to keep it for a long long time or will this car just become a headache once it hits high miles?
Old Feb 22, 2006, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ask Redcloud, because he's well over 100k miles and has lots of mods while still on the stock turbo.

The questions are getting pretty annoying, though. You don't buy an Evo or an SRT-4 for how it performs beyond 100k miles...
Old Feb 22, 2006, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

I knew were you going to say something warrtalon. How is Colorado treating you?
Old Feb 22, 2006, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

It couldn't be better out here...well, actually, as long as my Evo shows up today, things couldn't be better. I'm looking at Pikes Peak out my office window right now. It's awesome!
Old Feb 22, 2006, 07:12 AM

Comparing the SRT-4 to an Evo based on reliability is silly. Neither is going to give you Honda accord type reliability, but if taken care of I wouldn't see any problem getting 200K out of either without problems. The Evo will most likley be more expensive in the long run just because it has more moving parts (awd) and stuff like clutch, brakes, etc. cost a bit more for the mitsu.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Ask Redcloud, because he's well over 100k miles and has lots of mods while still on the stock turbo.

The questions are getting pretty annoying, though. You don't buy an Evo or an SRT-4 for how it performs beyond 100k miles...
Why not? I would think that long term reliability would be a consideration for most car buyers. If this is your daily driver and only mode of transportation then I think that it would definately matter.

If the questions are getting so annoying, then stop reading them. It's getting pretty annoying how whenever someone has an opinion that differs from yours you have to post about it. Can't you just keep your negativity to your self? I am tired of opening new threads and the first thing I see is Warrtalon telling everbody how they are wrong or stupid or ignorant just 'cause they don't see eye to eye with you.

I think that people have the right to care about the long term reliability and performance and I really don't think it's your place to tell them that it shouldn't matter.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

It couldn't be better out here...well, actually, as long as my Evo shows up today, things couldn't be better. I'm looking at Pikes Peak out my office window right now. It's awesome!
Dam, I am jealous.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Why did you post two of the same type of reliablity threads? Just buy a civic if you're so concerned about it lasting well over 100k and bother them with your old questions.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gaijin
Why not? I would think that long term reliability would be a consideration for most car buyers. If this is your daily driver and only mode of transportation then I think that it would definately matter.

If the questions are getting so annoying, then stop reading them. It's getting pretty annoying how whenever someone has an opinion that differs from yours you have to post about it. Can't you just keep your negativity to your self? I am tired of opening new threads and the first thing I see is Warrtalon telling everbody how they are wrong or stupid or ignorant just 'cause they don't see eye to eye with you.

I think that people have the right to care about the long term reliability and performance and I really don't think it's your place to tell them that it shouldn't matter.
I understand that you're upset about the whole Mynes thing, but that isn't any reason to go apeshlt like this out of the blue. Here you are chastising me for my response, yet you didn't even realize that I HAVE REFRAINED from answering his other threads. He just keeps posting them over and over, which is annoying. Just because you haven't noticed doesn't make it OK.

No, most EVO buyers are not purchasing the car for its long-term reliability. Don't lump all car buyers in with Evo buyers - that would be foolish. My Evo is my daily driver, but I still couldn't care less how well it holds up after 100k. By then it will be long since paid off and will most likely be a fully-dedicated race car. The rare example of Redcloud who drives several hundred miles a day is when it would matter if the car does well after 100k, but that should be the least of this guy's concerns if he's choosing between an SRT-4 and Evo. If he wants reliability, then he buys a Honda or Toyota, not an Evo or SRT-4. It's pretty common sense...
Old Feb 22, 2006, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Some things to consider, F0rcedFed:
- An Evo is a high maintenance car (read: synthetic oil, regular transmission fluid changes, expensive tires, alignments, tune-ups, clutch, etc, etc)
- Don't buy a used Evo, unless you can afford to rebuild it, a lot of ppl beat the **** out of them and then dump them
- the longevity of any car is directly related to how well you take care of it and how well you drive it
- An Evo is a , so rust proofing, quality of paint, fit and finish are not that great. Again a lot of care will have to be taken for the car to last a long time

l8r)
Old Feb 22, 2006, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

I understand that you're upset about the whole Mynes thing
LOL

Why did you focus just on WT there are other ppl in this very thread that dont really like the question...pretty much the community as a whole gets tired for questions like these....if you dont like go to another forum.

Last edited by AtO-MiX; Feb 22, 2006 at 08:16 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

Pikes Peak
Old Feb 22, 2006, 08:31 AM
Account Disabled

I guess Warrtalon thinks he represents all the evo owners here.

That attitude is getting pretty annoying.

I actually bought the Evo, because I know the engines proven deal and I know it'll last more than 200,000 miles, since crankwalk cases are minimal, unlike the DSM engines.

it's sedan, i have close to 100,000 miles and I had no problem whatsoever with it.

That's with 2 seasons of Auto-x on Sundays, which is followed by Drag Racing Friday and Saturday. I probably have over 800 launches on my car, especially at Steel (no wait)

I had to replace some parts, like clutch and what not, but my transmission is strong, engine is strong and every other components are great.

I probably need to change out the Timing belts and few other componets needs to be upgraded to balance out the power and wear, but I have good feeling it'll still be strong over 100K and beyond.

Good point, because a lot of people think this car wont last, thinking this is some sort of Mustang drag car that blows up everytime at the drag racing.

But the thing is most of the owners here are weekend warriors that daily drive their cars.

I don't know why most of you think this car isn't made well.

The fit and finish is better than most honda's out there, interior is a bit weak but that's why you only pay 30K for the car.

I think Evo's a great car that I'll have well over 200,000 miles.

You don't buy the Evo to just blow it up after 50,000 miles do you?

The problem is that most people on this board think they're some hardcore racers because they drag race on weekends. That snobby attitude don't carry out that well.

You don't see real racers being an a hole in this board do you?

Real Evo owners who Love this car to death does care about how long the car will last and think ahead about what they need to do to keep the car maintained well.

All the Evo owners who does go out and race on weekends who daily drive, we get together and talk about maintainance and issues that may come up in the near future.

Seems like that's what we talk about more and more as the mileage pile on more and more.

It's nice to have a 1000whp drag car, but if you blow it everytime you run it, what's the point in that? You're not a pro drag racer where you change your engine out every run.

I plan on buying a used RS shortly to make that into a dedicated road track car. Which in turn, my 03 will still be a street car that'll be daily driven without any problems.

Evo's a good car overall. If you doubt that you shouldn't be in this board. Most of the problems you'll see will be the tuners fault, or drivers fault.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 08:46 AM

Nice, sounds like my office. 10 windows surounding me that are about 4'x6' looking out at Pikes Peak.

Coming from a differnet 4 cylinder turbo car, under moderate abuse I've found that 100,000 miles isn't bad at all. Not sure on the Evo motor though. I'm hoping to find out soon though!
Old Feb 22, 2006, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Just buy the Evo and get it over with. It will be just fine if you take care of it right.

Quick Reply: EVOlution with 100k