Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

vishnu vs dynoflash mail in for IX???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2006, 03:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by jj_008
One advantage to the Ecutek is the ability to use smaller increments in the tuning maps. The techtom only allows 1 degree increments where I think the Ecutek is .1. This gives the Ecutek the ability to fine tune your setup for more power. Of course, both are only as good as the guy tuning them.
Which is a good point for custom tunes but how much fine tuning are you going to do to a ecu that is off the car with an off-the-shelf mail-in flash?
Old Feb 22, 2006, 03:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One advantage to the Ecutek is the ability to use smaller increments in the tuning maps. The techtom only allows 1 degree increments where I think the Ecutek is .1. This gives the Ecutek the ability to fine tune your setup for more power. Of course, both are only as good as the guy tuning them.

we're talking about mail in's...like some1 else said every car is different, so i would imagine it shouldn't be that fine tuned....now if it was a dyno or road tune than that .1 is important...
Old Feb 22, 2006, 03:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by razorlab
Which is a good point for custom tunes but how much fine tuning are you going to do to a ecu that is off the car with an off-the-shelf mail-in flash?

opps sry i didn't see your post, ignore mine
Old Feb 22, 2006, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by travman
one is labled vishnu and one is labled dynoflash....your paying for the name that is stamped on the product same as all performance parts.
They're not comparable. By Al's own admission he has spent only a single day tuning the Evo IX in a controlled environment (the rest on roads and perhaps on inertial dynos), whereas Shiv has been tuning them on a load-bearing dyno for weeks.

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Gimme a break...

I've heard, I've heard. If you don't know anything, don't post. Hearsay from a bunch of competitors and enemies means nothing. You just happen to live in the anti-Dynoflash zone.
What do you think makes enemies? What do you think creates an "anti-Dynoflash zone"? Hint: it's not consistently positive customer experiences. They may not be the norm, but the man has made his own bed in these places.

Originally Posted by Spoolin BluEvo
ok, the dynoflash has a pump gas map and a race gas map right? how do you switch them? i think dynoflash is going to be the way i go but i just had this one question
You switch them by playing with the setting on a manual boost controller so the ECU reads from the highest load rows. It's not really a race map/pump map configuration like e.g. a stand-alone or XEDE can provide. What you basically have is a pump map with a little bonus performance at the highest boost levels. You can't compare the timing/fuel to a real race gas map at partial throttle.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ez76
What do you think makes enemies? What do you think creates an "anti-Dynoflash zone"? Hint: it's not consistently positive customer experiences. They may not be the norm, but the man has made his own bed in these places.
Hey, not arguing against that. I just don't think it makes any sense for that guy to come in here with no knowledge whatsoever and answer in the thread with a bunch of hearsay that he can't even qualify. Just saying, "I hear XX was bad," does no one any good. I know plenty of unsatisfied Vishnu, TT, and PDT customers, but I'm not so naive as to think that Dynoflash doesn't have his own unhappy people. They all are good tuners, imo, with the exception of PDT, and they all have their own methods. As well, they all have big client bases and make good money. You won't catch me running around talking smack about Vishnu and TT tunes, though, because I realize they know what they're doing just as I believe Al does (and can attest by the performance of my own car).
Old Feb 22, 2006, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

I only have my car as a variable so it would be difficult for me to know how fine you can go. For me, a ~.5 point of timing away from the knock thresold seems to make my car happy.

I hope Shiv can come back here and explain the differences between the Ecutek and the Techtom. He has both units and chooses to use the Ecutek for the EVO 9's and the Techtom for the EVO 8's.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 04:22 PM
Account Disabled

This is not accurate

The techtom IX flash gives the tuner complete and full access to all tuning parameters available for the car

I have every map that ecutek supports and more

The main disadvantage of the techtom equipment is that each flash takes 16 minutes per flash and eats up a lot of tuning and dyno time

However, this is of no concern to the end user with a mail in flash as I do all the work for you

$300 is my charge for a mail in flash - SHIPPED - including fed ex overnight return

I have already seen my customers going 12.0 in the 1/4 mile on pump gas with Br Stage 1 package already well demonstrating the proven performance
Old Feb 22, 2006, 04:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
I only have my car as a variable so it would be difficult for me to know how fine you can go. For me, a ~.5 point of timing away from the knock thresold seems to make my car happy.
Which you cannot tune to without the car in the mix. Whoever says they can are liars. Every cars knock threshold is different and you cannot find it without logging or monitoring the actual car which cannot be done on a mail in flash.

That said, it's known that mail in flashes leave some power on the table in the sake of safety and variance between cars. This is common knowledge but not necessarily a bad thing. It's to be expected.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 04:24 PM
Account Disabled

They're not comparable. By Al's own admission he has spent only a single day tuning the Evo IX in a controlled environment (the rest on roads and perhaps on inertial dynos), whereas Shiv has been tuning them on a load-bearing dyno for weeks.

You switch them by playing with the setting on a manual boost controller so the ECU reads from the highest load rows. It's not really a race map/pump map configuration like e.g. a stand-alone or XEDE can provide. What you basically have is a pump map with a little bonus performance at the highest boost levels. You can't compare the timing/fuel to a real race gas map at partial throttle.
I have over a 100 hours of Dyno time on IX's thus far with 5 full days at Buschur's Mustang Dyno alone

I have tuned 56 IX's to date with very positive feed back from customers

Also, all BR350 and BR330 cars delivered have my tuning product and have generated rave reviews
Old Feb 22, 2006, 04:29 PM
Rnm
Evolved Member

Thumbs up

I had my IX custom tuned by Al and couldn't be any happier with how much faster it got for such little spent. If I decide to do any more mods, I'd go back to him in a heartbeat.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Which you cannot tune to without the car in the mix. Whoever says they can are liars. Every cars knock threshold is different and you cannot find it without logging or monitoring the actual car which cannot be done on a mail in flash.

That said, it's known that mail in flashes leave some power on the table in the sake of safety and variance between cars. This is common knowledge but not necessarily a bad thing. It's to be expected.
I agree
Old Feb 22, 2006, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
5 full days at Buschur's Mustang Dyno
OK.

I spent 3 days 12 hours long working on base maps for the IX at Buschur's Mustang Dyno
OK.

I prefer to say it how it is and speak clearly
OK.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I think a flash from either Shiv or Al would be great. I would probably just get flashed by whoever is close to you, which if Al.

I also was thinking of gettin' a custom flash, even though I have an XEDE (no PnP harness yet), but I don't think I'm gonna get a flash. I'm worried about not being able to adjust the flash after the fact. If the weather changes or something, I like to have the ability to change stuff.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

as far as mail in flashes go, Al tunes the most aggressively allowing u to get more power.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
OK.

OK.

OK.
LMAO! PWN3D

Last edited by Event-Horizon; Feb 22, 2006 at 05:29 PM.

Quick Reply: vishnu vs dynoflash mail in for IX???