Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

help injen intake

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2006, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, btw, evo8dutsu, if you're seeing only .7bar all the time, then that means you're running base wastegate pressure. This means that during your intake install, you messed up one of the vaccuum hoses in the boost system. Please go take more pics like the one you provided and make sure to focus in on the all the lines that go from the stock BCS to the turbo and wastegate actuator. I think you just installed something improperly. As much as I hate people wasting money on intakes, I highly doubt this has to do with your intake itself.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Oh, btw, evo8dutsu, if you're seeing only .7bar all the time, then that means you're running base wastegate pressure. This means that during your intake install, you messed up one of the vaccuum hoses in the boost system. Please go take more pics like the one you provided and make sure to focus in on the all the lines that go from the stock BCS to the turbo and wastegate actuator. I think you just installed something improperly. As much as I hate people wasting money on intakes, I highly doubt this has to do with your intake itself.

i was thinking the same thing...i just didnt go into the details...i just kept saying check vacuum hoses!!!
Old Feb 23, 2006, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eling99
i was thinking the same thing...i just didnt go into the details...i just kept saying check vacuum hoses!!!
He probably has no idea what to look for. For example, just yesterday, I had a guy who IM'd me from EvoM because he was having trouble with his new Forge UNOS MBC. He had just installed it with the stiff spring, but it was hitting 25psi at the MINIMUM setting. My first thought was that the spring was not seated, but since he got it from Dynoflash, I knew it was not only seated with the stiff spring, but the ball was greased, and the bleed hole was cleaned. Regardless, I told him to take it apart and check. Well, just before he went outside, he mentioned something on AIM about how he was going to go ahead and CUT the little hose that was still on the turbo nipple.

That's when it dawned on me that he still had the small stock hose WITH THE RESTRICTOR PILL connected to the turbo nipple and then had used a barrel fitting to connect his new vaccuum hose to the end of the stock hose. This was causing his large boost spike. Basically, it was like having the stock WG pressure of 11psi + the 9psi from the pill, which = 20psi. Instead, he had the base pressure from the stiff spring of 16-17psi + the pill, which was giving him 25psi. He went out, worked harder to remove that hose WITHOUT TEARING IT, and then connected the new vaccuum hose. It immediately worked and all was well.

The moral of this story is that telling people to 'check their hoses' really means nothing to our noobs. For each person using the stock boost lines that has a boost problem, you can almost ALWAYS trace it back to a restrictor pill issue.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

He probably has no idea what to look for. For example, just yesterday, I had a guy who IM'd me from EvoM because he was having trouble with his new Forge UNOS MBC. He had just installed it with the stiff spring, but it was hitting 25psi at the MINIMUM setting. My first thought was that the spring was not seated, but since he got it from Dynoflash, I knew it was not only seated with the stiff spring, but the ball was greased, and the bleed hole was cleaned. Regardless, I told him to take it apart and check. Well, just before he went outside, he mentioned something on AIM about how he was going to go ahead and CUT the little hose that was still on the turbo nipple.

That's when it dawned on me that he still had the small stock hose WITH THE RESTRICTOR PILL connected to the turbo nipple and then had used a barrel fitting to connect his new vaccuum hose to the end of the stock hose. This was causing his large boost spike. Basically, it was like having the stock WG pressure of 11psi + the 9psi from the pill, which = 20psi. Instead, he had the base pressure from the stiff spring of 16-17psi + the pill, which was giving him 25psi. He went out, worked harder to remove that hose WITHOUT TEARING IT, and then connected the new vaccuum hose. It immediately worked and all was well.

The moral of this story is that telling people to 'check their hoses' really means nothing to our noobs. For each person using the stock boost lines that has a boost problem, you can almost ALWAYS trace it back to a restrictor pill issue.

i learned on my own about the vacuum hoses..through trial and error and searching! i bet on anything its the vacuum hoses!!!
Old Feb 24, 2006, 10:28 AM

hey thanks guys for all your help. i guess ill go and get my car tuned =]
Old Feb 24, 2006, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo8dustu
hey thanks guys for all your help. i guess ill go and get my car tuned =]
Did you not read what I wrote? Yes, you need to get tuned, but that has nothing to do with your real problem here. You need to read my last 2 posts, then act upon them. Otherwise, you'll just remain messed up indefinitely.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 01:36 PM

yeah, i spent all last night checking all my vac lines etc. couldnt find anything leaking or anything.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 01:37 PM

sorry for my dumbness but what does BCS mean?
Old Feb 24, 2006, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

BCS = Boost Control Solenoid

You definately need to get this worked out before the tune. I'm with Warr and eling99, definately a problem with vac lines, due do wastegate pressure @ around .7 bar.

Last edited by Dero; Feb 24, 2006 at 02:04 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo8dustu
yeah, i spent all last night checking all my vac lines etc. couldnt find anything leaking or anything.
Bah, no, you don't just "check" the vac lines and look for leaks. First of all, unless you did a full pressure test up to 20+psi, you didn't check for leaks. But, even if you did, that wouldn't tell you the problem that I'm trying to describe.

This almost definitely has to do with messing up the stock boost lines somehow. Either you replaced the stock hoses with new hoses, or you lost one of the restrictor pills, or you reconnected the hoses in the wrong manner (wga switched with turbo). Something along those lines is wrong. I don't know how you did it while installing an intake, but somehow you did. I need to see pictures of all the boost lines to include where the connect to the wga, the turbo, and the BCS. You need to tell me if you are still using the original OEM vaccuum lines, and if so, you need to verify that there is a restrictor pill in the long hose that goes from the turbo to the BCS. Then, you need to verify that there is a restrictor pill in the short hose that goes from the tee to the turbo nipple. You can either feel th em through the rubber, or take them off and look inside.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 03:06 PM

Bah, no, you don't just "check" the vac lines and look for leaks. First of all, unless you did a full pressure test up to 20+psi, you didn't check for leaks. But, even if you did, that wouldn't tell you the problem that I'm trying to describe.

This almost definitely has to do with messing up the stock boost lines somehow. Either you replaced the stock hoses with new hoses, or you lost one of the restrictor pills, or you reconnected the hoses in the wrong manner (wga switched with turbo). Something along those lines is wrong. I don't know how you did it while installing an intake, but somehow you did. I need to see pictures of all the boost lines to include where the connect to the wga, the turbo, and the BCS. You need to tell me if you are still using the original OEM vaccuum lines, and if so, you need to verify that there is a restrictor pill in the long hose that goes from the turbo to the BCS. Then, you need to verify that there is a restrictor pill in the short hose that goes from the tee to the turbo nipple. You can either feel th em through the rubber, or take them off and look inside.
ohh i think i know what your tlaking about, there, the restricter pill, when i was uninstalling my intake, some little metal thing came out really small. i wasnt sure waht it was, is that what ur talking about. its like goldish color ill try to take a pic. well if so where does it go. im at work right now, so when i get off work ill take pics and post it up.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 09:47 AM

are these these the two hoses where the pills shuld be inside?
Old Feb 25, 2006, 09:50 AM

opps heres the pics
Attached Thumbnails help injen intake-picture-310d.jpg  
Old Feb 25, 2006, 10:08 AM

is this the pill?
Attached Thumbnails help injen intake-picture-316d.jpg  
Old Feb 25, 2006, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

good info here.