Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Subaru Impreza, Evo 8, Audi S4 V8 video

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2006 | 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Top Gear vids never get old and there's usually someone that's not seen them...
Old Feb 24, 2006 | 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

it's worth the fun having an evo...
Old Feb 24, 2006 | 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

I own an '04 Audi S4 as my daily driver, and an '04 EVO RS as my track car. I test drove the STi before I bought the Audi in Dec. 2003, and again before buyin the EVO in Oct. 2004. I'd have to say I agree with everything the Top Gear video says, except Clarkson omitted the fact that the clutch in the S4 is good for about 3 run sessions on a road course before it self destructs, while the stock EVO clutch is good for about 40 track days.
Old Feb 24, 2006 | 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

http://paultan.org/archives/2006/01/...preza-wrx-sti/
Seems to me they back pedal with which one they like better. Don't forget, the STi has less horsepower(265hp I believe) in the U.K. and the US version does have ACD. An 03-04 Evo would by far be left behind stock for stock in the US like the STi was in the U.K. comparison. Now the 05 Evo VIII and the 06 Evo IX still is not that much faster than an STi. The Evo IX is also well under rated in power now as many have discussed.
http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publi...nter_330.shtml

Last edited by Dayton_EVO; Feb 24, 2006 at 04:33 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2006 | 04:24 PM

What and the hell happened during that drag race though. Listen, I drive an sti, and I love both the evo and the sti just the same, but dear god, stock for stock I would cry if I lost that bad to an evo in a drag race. Pedal on the right F#$*#&
Old Feb 24, 2006 | 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Saw this a long time ago but it's an oldy but a great one.
Old Feb 24, 2006 | 05:00 PM

I agree with litfuse.....the sti shouldnt get walked that bad stock for stock
Old Feb 24, 2006 | 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Litfuse
What and the hell happened during that drag race though. Listen, I drive an sti, and I love both the evo and the sti just the same, but dear god, stock for stock I would cry if I lost that bad to an evo in a drag race. Pedal on the right F#$*#&

It is the 2.0 STi not the 2.5 liter the evo does not run away stock for stock It is flip flop Sti running away form evo when the STi has 2.5
Old Feb 24, 2006 | 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dayton_EVO
http://paultan.org/archives/2006/01/...preza-wrx-sti/
Seems to me they back pedal with which one they like better. Don't forget, the STi has less horsepower(265hp I believe) in the U.K. and the US version does have ACD. An 03-04 Evo would by far be left behind stock for stock in the US like the STi was in the U.K. comparison. Now the 05 Evo VIII and the 06 Evo IX still is not that much faster than an STi. The Evo IX is also well under rated in power now as many have discussed.
http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publi...nter_330.shtml
You weren't listening. This was a special STi model that has 305 bhp in Britain
Old Feb 24, 2006 | 08:49 PM

Well, if it was a special sti, shame on that driver. License revoked!
Old Feb 24, 2006 | 09:35 PM

lol Yeah I was surprised how far ahead the Evo was too because I've drove an sti and the take off is good and I raced aginst one although I was driving in an accord when I raced aginst it haha I was trying to show off the accord and I got put in my place pretty good but yeah I expected alot more spunk from that Sti.
Old Feb 24, 2006 | 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Fun with a capital E. EVO BY A MILE!

Did you see that Evo kick the crap out of the others in that drag race?!

wOOt!
Old Feb 25, 2006 | 12:33 AM
Evolved Member

hahaha..great vid...
cant wait to see them test the evo 9 against the new STi

subaru will be dead again!
Old Feb 25, 2006 | 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Exactly! No Stock Evo will pull that bad on any stock STi, I know this for a fact since I own both! Somebody can't drive is all I can say. I love all three cars, but come on. I think we should have an "All Stock Nationals-Evo vs. STi" and then we will see the truth about both sides. But even at that, someone will still makes excuses.

And yes Richard EVO I was listening. The only way that the Evo would have pulled that hard on an STi is if it "WERE" the 265 hp model. 305hp Prodrive Special Edition would not have been pulled on like that. I have seen and read other tests of the Prodrive Version back then, and it was not that slow to get beat that badly by a stock Evo or the new S4. Special STi over there has nothing on the US version as we finally got a one up on them. Try that here stock for stock and you will see a big difference from that video. The STi will get off the line faster as the clutch can handle higher torque at redline (stock) and can drop the clutch at over 6000rpm without spinning the wheels and pull away off the line while the weak stock Evo clutch is burning and slipping(that is with a good Suby driver). The Evo IX will make ground after that and maybe the 05 VIII, but not an 03 or 04 Evo. Did you not watch the second video I posted where Top Gear couldn't make a decision or the other link I posted? It's nice to have a rivalry that keeps both manufacturers on there toes. Do not expect Suby to sleep on the next version of the STi is all I have to say. As long as it is not ugly like the 06 model, I will buy it as well as the new Evo.

Last edited by Dayton_EVO; Feb 25, 2006 at 12:30 PM.