Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HELP Killed 2 rear diffs in less than 3k!!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2006, 04:12 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by munkyhead8
It has the stock wheels and as I said, brand new tires all around.
Do yourself a BIG favor and go around to all 4 tires and write down the SIZE and Brand and type and see if all 4 are the same.I was once tricked by this as a customer had me rebuild his transfer case on a newer 4Runner and everything was fine.Well as luck would have it 3 or 4 months later he came back complaining that at 60mph when he would shift from 2wd to 4wd it would make a nasty Clunk type noise and swore that it had done this "ever since I had rebuilt his transfer case" I asked why he waited 4 months to come back and he said he had been "busy" with things and this was the 1st chance to come back.Needless to say he had failed to mention that 2 weeks eariler he had 4 new tires put on by SEARS and I had checked the side wall's for Size (only on 3,Dumba#s)and the tire pressures on all 4.everything seemed fine and for what reason I did not check all 4 tires sizes I do not know(must have gotten distracted).Well,after several test drives trying different things I decided to rotate tires and when rotating tires I discovered that 1 tire,although the same Manufacture and Type it was 1 size smaller than the other 3.When I asked the customer if he had gotten tires replaced recently he replied "Yes,from Sears",then I asked it his Clunk when going into 4wd started there after and once again it was a "yes",so I asked him why he was blaming it on a Transfer Case rebuild 4 months earlier and he could not answer,so I told him what the problem was as he had 1 tire a size smaller than the other 3 and he replied"I am going down to sears and if there is any damage to anything I am going to SUE SEARS"...,and that is the kind of people out there,always looking to get something for nothing and will SUE if they dont.
BTW,the transfer case that I rebuilt was also done under extended Warranty,so this Dic#head wants everything for free and LIES to top it all off(Did I mention that I hate Liars)Sorry for the long post,just make sure of tire size and that all are same make and type,even the Best is fooled once and a while
Old Feb 24, 2006, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rallyman
Maybe you have a diff with the wrong axle ratio - Mitsubishi make a number of different ratios for rallying, but you must use the same back and front. To test, jack up all four wheels and check how many turns of the engine are required to move the front and then the rear wheels one revolution.
^^^ EXCELLENT idea
Old Feb 24, 2006, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by munkyhead8
OK, so I just bought this '03 evo from a local dealership. It had 20xxx miles on it when I bought it on the 29th of December. I know for a fact that it was highly modded by the previous owner because one of my friends knows him and saw the car a while ago. He returned it almost to stock before trading it in for a IX. All that was left was the roll cage.

Because of this fact I opted to get the car certified for the 10yr/ 100k warranty. Well I'm glad I did because after 1500 miles the rear diff started to get louder and then it began to grind. So the dealership replaced it without incident. Well about 1000 miles and its about cooked agian. It had just started to make a little grind and I took it to the dealer agian. This time they said it is a normal sound. The whine from the thing is painful to the ears at about 62 and when the weight of the car is neutral, its grinding worse and worse everyday. I'm going to take it to them for a third time and hopefully they replace it agian.

On a good note, they haven't given me any trouble and I don't think they will this time either. And just to be clear, Im not new to the manual awd cars, I owned a 92 3000gt vr4 for about 4 years and had a 5 speed impreza for 2 before that. I'm not a pro or anything, but I have never had problems like this.

Any ideas what could cause this? I know the engine was out of the car at one point. I've never pulled an engine, but could a mount be installed wrong. Maybe the drive shaft is out of phase? I don't here any strange clunks so I dont think its a worn mount. I'm just glad I seem to have found a good dealership.

thanks
John
T-CASE.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

I would not buy a car from me if I was selling it. That said.... I would never buy a modded car, if I did not know it was modded thats one story. Buying it knowing it was modded!
Old Feb 24, 2006, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm a VW/Audi tech so have experience and knowledge in this 4wd stuff. If you say you went through 2 rear diffs in such little time you have to look at the common denominator. You have the possibility that you recieved a bad rebuilt diff(happens at VW/Audi at times) or what I think the cause is either the longitudenal(sp) driveshaft or something with the rear drivetrain.
These diags are assuming that all tires are the same and the fluid level is correct and the right fluid is used. Hope you get it straightened out.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

Make sure they use Mitsubishi Diaqueen LSD oil
Old Feb 24, 2006, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Rallyman
Maybe you have a diff with the wrong axle ratio - Mitsubishi make a number of different ratios for rallying, but you must use the same back and front. To test, jack up all four wheels and check how many turns of the engine are required to move the front and then the rear wheels one revolution.
I believe this would screw up the center diff, and/or TC, not the rear diff. This is either being caused by a difference in the rotaional speed of the rear wheels, or something internal in the diff is screwed up. I could be wrong, but that is my thought.

So what are your symptoms??? What does it sound like or feel like?? My tranny is on the way out, or so I think, but maybe mine could be the rear diff too . . .

EVOlutionary
Old Feb 24, 2006, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Wow man, that sucks, hope u find a solution to this nasty problem!!!
Old Feb 24, 2006, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Just thinking, I had a friend who went through 2 transfer cases in a matter of weeks. It ended up being the output shaft connection to the driveshaft. If for some reason your DS is not ballanced it could beat up your rear diff seal and cause it to leak oil?? Just a thought.

EVOlutionary
Old Feb 24, 2006, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Just thinking, I had a friend who went through 2 transfer cases in a matter of weeks. It ended up being the output shaft connection to the driveshaft. If for some reason your DS is not ballanced it could beat up your rear diff seal and cause it to leak oil?? Just a thought.

EVOlutionary
But he should feel a vibration from that or some noise telling him that!
Old Feb 25, 2006, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

My buddy never felt a thing on his talon until the shafts got so hot they welded together and the drivetrain locked up. So he put the new unit in. Same thing happened. Second time he put in a new output shaft and seals and has not had any more problems.

I don't really know much about the rear diff. Just giving you some ideas to look into.

EVOlutionary
Old Feb 25, 2006, 12:37 PM

Well all four tires are identical is size and age (235/45/17). I just went out to verify that for certian. I also checked for leakes and there is no evadence of one. I'm really at a loss here. Lucky for me its the dealers problem to figure out. I have to give them credit, from all the horror stories I hear about bad dealerships. They have been amazing and haven't once tried to point the finger at me. Hell even the tech was asking me what plans I had for modding the car. I'm going to take some of these ideas to the dealer with me and anymore is very much welcome. thanks guys...
Old Feb 25, 2006, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

yeah that whining at around 60 mph sounds VERY similar to a transfer case issue.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 12:45 PM

Ok I should probably add some symptoms here too. Well when I first got it, I heard a slight whine from the rear at about 60 mph. (sounds like gears out of mesh), but I had always heard that the evo was a noisy drivetrain so I didnt think much of it. Well after a couple weeks it became noticeably louder. Loud enough to be uncomfortable to the ears. It seemed to do it more when it was colder out. Then it slowly started to develop a grinding noise when the weight on the drive train was neutral. It seemed to change slightly in sound when I would go over bumps too. Thats about the only symptoms that have arose. The only vibration I get is when decelerating down hills, I occasionally feel what seems like a sloppy carrier bearing at about 2500 rpms, but it seems like thats a common issue. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry for the long post, I just want to be as decriptive as possible.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Hotshot940
yeah that whining at around 60 mph sounds VERY similar to a transfer case issue.
When I initially took it in I thought TC as well, because I know its a very common problem and sometimes the location of a sound can be very decieving. The only reason I don't think thats the issue now, is the sound went away, or got quiter really when they put in the new diff. The sound never totally went away.

As a note, on the service report it says "replaced carrier assy. rear diff"