Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HELP Killed 2 rear diffs in less than 3k!!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2006, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
perhaps the transfer case WAS going at the time when the rear diff went. Then you would technically have a very ironic situation that they were both going dead at once. they replaced the rear diff, and now all your hearing is the busted transfer case? i know it seems like a long shot but you never know.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 12:56 PM

Could it be a bearing issue?

Just trying to toss some more ideas out there. Good luck bud.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Hotshot940
perhaps the transfer case WAS going at the time when the rear diff went. Then you would technically have a very ironic situation that they were both going dead at once. they replaced the rear diff, and now all your hearing is the busted transfer case? i know it seems like a long shot but you never know.

Possible, but like you said I think its a long shot. The sound DOES sound like its comming fromt the rear, and I can hear that same grinding sound I did the first time around. This one has unfolded the exact same way the first one did. When they replaced the diff, they also said the seal on the TC was leaking so that was also replaced. If the TC was going then I would assume it would have been caught because the fluid would have been drained.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Make sure this time they put right fluids in the diff. THats very comon in mitsu dilerships. They did it on mine, when I asked what they put in it, so I made them change it out. Piece

Originally Posted by munkyhead8
OK, so I just bought this '03 evo from a local dealership. It had 20xxx miles on it when I bought it on the 29th of December. I know for a fact that it was highly modded by the previous owner because one of my friends knows him and saw the car a while ago. He returned it almost to stock before trading it in for a IX. All that was left was the roll cage.

Because of this fact I opted to get the car certified for the 10yr/ 100k warranty. Well I'm glad I did because after 1500 miles the rear diff started to get louder and then it began to grind. So the dealership replaced it without incident. Well about 1000 miles and its about cooked agian. It had just started to make a little grind and I took it to the dealer agian. This time they said it is a normal sound. The whine from the thing is painful to the ears at about 62 and when the weight of the car is neutral, its grinding worse and worse everyday. I'm going to take it to them for a third time and hopefully they replace it agian.

On a good note, they haven't given me any trouble and I don't think they will this time either. And just to be clear, Im not new to the manual awd cars, I owned a 92 3000gt vr4 for about 4 years and had a 5 speed impreza for 2 before that. I'm not a pro or anything, but I have never had problems like this.

Any ideas what could cause this? I know the engine was out of the car at one point. I've never pulled an engine, but could a mount be installed wrong. Maybe the drive shaft is out of phase? I don't here any strange clunks so I dont think its a worn mount. I'm just glad I seem to have found a good dealership.

thanks
John
Old Feb 27, 2006, 06:44 PM

this shows how carefull you need to be when buying a used evo! i see a lot of people runnin to high a boost for there tune and many other things. Just hold out on mods for a bit and make sure the car is good before doing anything and save every part you replace incase anything big ever happens again
Old Feb 28, 2006, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by wicked-won
this shows how carefull you need to be when buying a used evo! i see a lot of people runnin to high a boost for there tune and many other things. Just hold out on mods for a bit and make sure the car is good before doing anything and save every part you replace incase anything big ever happens again
Yes I agree, you can never be too careful, the market for evos in CNY is somewhat small. I knew that I would have issues at some point in the future knowing the car had been modded. That is exactly why I would not buy the car unless they certified it for the 100K mile warranty. I don't plan on keeping this car longer than that so any problems I do have won't be out of my pocket. I got it for 22k which seems to be on par with most other 03's with 20k miles. The advantage I have over other 03 owners is that warranty.

As far as mods, I dont plan on going to crazy, not power mods anyway. I care more about the handling so most of my money will be thrown at the susp.

The car is at the dealer as we speak. Lets just hope it's the last time for a while.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Car been in an accident? If the frame is even a little bit off you'll burn through suspension parts in no time.