Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

reverse lights from HELL!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2006, 01:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
reverse lights from HELL!

OK. So I take my car to be inspected (2003 evo8) and it fails because the reverse lights don't come on. So I'm like OK, its probably just the switch on the tranny. I take a look, its plugged in. I check every single fuse in the fuse block (towards the drivers side) all fuses look OK. I check the bulbs in the lamp just to be sure, and there ARE NO REVERSE BULBS. So I laugh and plug some new bulbs in. They still don't light up. I take out my digital multimeter and test the lamp harness pins, and the reverse light (I have the power on, lights on, engine not running with tranny in reverse) pin gets 0 volts (brake lights and running lights all get 12 volts). WTF. WHERE exactly is the fuse for the reverse lights? Why would the reverse light bulbs be removed (by previous owner)? Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Feb 28, 2006 at 01:17 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 01:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you get the same result when your car is running? Because I without my car on, I don't think my reverse lights would come on... just a thought
Old Feb 28, 2006, 01:22 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah I tried with the car running...still no lights and no voltage...argh...Seems like no one knows where the fuse is for this thing or if there is even a fuse. Perhaps the switch on the tranny itself is dead. This same problem happened on my turbo eclipse when I tried to get it inspected, this is hilarious. Mitsu really knows how to screw up the reverse lights
Old Feb 28, 2006, 01:26 AM
Evolved Member

Here's a service manual. Hope it helps.

http://www.lancer-evo.net/community/...ad&file_id=524
Old Feb 28, 2006, 01:30 AM
Evolving Member

just check every fuse w/ your multi-meter. if theres not an actual reverse light fuse, then theres probably a fuse that works in conjunction w/ it.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 01:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
OK. So I take my car to be inspected (2003 evo8) and it fails because the reverse lights don't come on. So I'm like OK, its probably just the switch on the tranny. I take a look, its plugged in. I check every single fuse in the fuse block (towards the drivers side) all fuses look OK. I check the bulbs in the lamp just to be sure, and there ARE NO REVERSE BULBS. So I laugh and plug some new bulbs in. They still don't light up. I take out my digital multimeter and test the lamp harness pins, and the reverse light (I have the power on, lights on, engine not running with tranny in reverse) pin gets 0 volts (brake lights and running lights all get 12 volts). WTF. WHERE exactly is the fuse for the reverse lights? Why would the reverse light bulbs be removed (by previous owner)? Anyone have any ideas?

back up light

Old Feb 28, 2006, 01:46 AM
Evolved Member

lol damnit BM. Resize! >.<
Old Feb 28, 2006, 01:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CRVdrftR05
lol damnit BM. Resize! >.<
lol

easier to read this way. although i could go bigger
Old Feb 28, 2006, 02:10 AM
Evolved Member

Guys I appreciate the replies!!! However all of my fuses seem OK (checked and double checked the 7.5 Amp fuses, as well as all of the other ones just for good measure). It seems like there are only two more things to check:

1.) Switch inside tranny, which I sure hope doesn't cost alot brand new from satan

2.) Continuity problem with wiring (maybe the stupid kid who owned the car before me accidently cut the line somewhere under the dash).

Wish me luck. God I wish things could be easier. There is only 30,000 miles on the car so I don't know how the switch would have failed, but I can't rule it out. If anyone has any suggestions at this point I would sure be grateful. Thanks again for the support so far!
Old Feb 28, 2006, 02:19 AM
Evolved Member

Good luck, Sonic.

lol i dare you BM. =P
Old Feb 28, 2006, 02:42 AM
Evolved Member

I HAVE FOUND THE PROBLEM. I was sitting on the toilet thinking (imho the best place to think about car problems) what would be a good electrical test for this circuit? Wal-lah, disconnect the reverse switch on the transmission (two prong) and stick a paper clip in the switch's place. Doing this completes the circuit and simulates the switch being in the "on" position. I tried this and sure enough my reverse lights came on. This means my switch is dead. Oh well, guess its time for another trip to the mitsu dealer...thanks everyone for their input!