Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo IX MR vs. Evo IX: Is the MR worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2006, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05-EVO-GSR
Buy an MR and sell me all of your take-offs real cheap.
ok, deal
Old Feb 28, 2006, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Kee1pride
ill let warrtalon cover this one
am i gonna get yelled at?
Old Feb 28, 2006, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I bought an 05 V/// and got the mR wheels, VG, EVO IX tails, and a perrin antenna.

Many people look at the car and think its an MR lol, but I tell them no, its an V///
Old Feb 28, 2006, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

I have a IX, was thinking about the MR but I wanted a Sunroof...Kinda was a mistake though...hahaha. Best time I could get was a 13.4 with the sunroof and all the extra baggage. Other IX GSR did 12s without the Baggage. The MR I hear, rides better daily driven with the Bilsteins. The GSR and RS is kinda bumpy and you feel most of the road. If you are planning to get some good coilovers, then you dont have to worry about the bumpiness too long. If you want the HIDs and Fog without all that other junk, get the MR. If that doesnt bother you then get the Rs or the GSR. My personal preference was to ge the HID and Fogs...Hope this helps. Good Luck with your Decision...
Old Feb 28, 2006, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by EvoRicer
I have a IX, was thinking about the MR but I wanted a Sunroof...Kinda was a mistake though...hahaha. Best time I could get was a 13.4 with the sunroof and all the extra baggage. Other IX GSR did 12s without the Baggage. The MR I hear, rides better daily driven with the Bilsteins. The GSR and RS is kinda bumpy and you feel most of the road. If you are planning to get some good coilovers, then you dont have to worry about the bumpiness too long. If you want the HIDs and Fog without all that other junk, get the MR. If that doesnt bother you then get the Rs or the GSR. My personal preference was to ge the HID and Fogs...Hope this helps. Good Luck with your Decision...

Good! These are the tidbits I need. Thanks
Old Feb 28, 2006, 09:12 AM
Account Disabled

Get the MR....cuz, I have one
Old Feb 28, 2006, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

HID's and fogs, BBS wheels, 6 speed, Bilstiens, Aluminum roof, zero-lift package, vortex generator, alum. shift knob, mr badging, mr floormats, Aluminum control arms. Those are the differences...

For me the BBS wheels, HID/fogs and 6 speed made it worthwhile. Plus they dealt more on the MR than the regular IX. Hell, the BBS wheels are like 500 a piece IIRC.

Girlie
Old Feb 28, 2006, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

All Evo's have aluminum control arms.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

ease u know its all bout the HIDs man.....
Old Feb 28, 2006, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

Hmm...let's see. The IX gets better gas mileage than the MR, even though it has 6 gears. Why? Not sure exactly, so improved gas mileage is debunked.

The first four gears are almost exactly the same. You aren't going to be shifting differently for the gears you will be in most often.

The MR HIDs suck. They're not that bright for HIDs, and they often don't point correctly. If you want good HIDs, just swap out stock halogens from the regular IX.

Suspension? Meh...if you need Bilsteins for your candy a$$, you're looking for the wrong car, bud. I drove both and I could barely tell the difference between the suspensions.

Aluminum roof = 1 mm lower center of gravity = gimmick.

Vortex generators = gimme a break. Sonic had vortex generators long before the Evo did.

Zero Lift Kit? Well, this is cool except that it's too much $ for what you get and you scrape it on steep driveways.

MR Badging....well, only other Evo owners and possibly other young hardcore car fanatics will know the difference.

BBS Rims? Cool, I'll admit. But the IX rims are lighter than the VIIIs by quite a bit, so the advantage has been lessened.

Graphite grey? Well, you can now get that with the regular IX (much to the chagrine of most MR owners). So that advantage is lost.

Now tell me that you still want to pay $4000 more for that?
Old Feb 28, 2006, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Happy Madison
ok smartguy, here's my $.02. your topic sucks a$$ and it's been beaten to death. how the f*ck can someone else determine if an MR is "worth it" to you?
real mature...

I have a 9 GSR. Thought about getting the MR. If you're going to leave your car untouched, why not get the MR?

But if you're like everyone else on this board, eventually you'll want more power, better handling, more this and better that. If thats the case then think of the money you could save by getting the GSR and applying that money to mods.

The cars are so close performance wise, you'd have to drive within 99% of the cars capability to see the difference and frankly, on the street, no one does that.

At least, thats my line of thinking anyways...
Old Feb 28, 2006, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by urBan_dK

Aluminum roof = 1 mm lower center of gravity = gimmick.

Vortex generators = gimme a break. Sonic had vortex generators long before the Evo did.

Zero Lift Kit? Well, this is cool except that it's too much $ for what you get and you scrape it on steep driveways.
The aluminum roof saves a good deal of weight compared to the steel roof (Robi said 40 lbs solid/80lbs sunroof) where you need it most. The vortex generators are functional over 80mph and create downforce. The Zero lift kit includes brake air duct guides which are fairly valuable and also generates downforce (the kit, not the guides, to clarify). Are you downplaying the importance of good aero?

Last edited by Tsurara; Feb 28, 2006 at 10:02 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by urBan_dK

Suspension? Meh...if you need Bilsteins for your candy a$$, you're looking for the wrong car, bud.
?

Why do people saythings like this? I can't figure out the attitude that so many people look at the Evo as an all out race car, but then when they buy parts everything has to be "plug-n-play".

If someone wants a somewhat comfortable ride, a nice stereo, or something like that, why does anyone else care? I'm actually looking at Evo's because I want things like that. Any factory Evo probably rides better and is much more civil than 90% of the daily drivers I've ever owned. Most have been drag cars weren't truely street legal, even when commuting. I'm wanting a more commfortable car, but I don't want a big Lincoln or something like that.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tsurara
The aluminum roof saves a good deal of weight compared to the steel roof (Robi said 40 lbs solid/80lbs sunroof) where you need it most. The vortex generators are functional over 80mph and create downforce. The Zero lift kit includes brake air duct guides which are fairly valuable and also generates downforce. Are you downplaying the importance of good aero?

Dont sweat it Tsurara hes just tryin to make himself feel better for not getting an MR....
Old Feb 28, 2006, 10:08 AM
Account Disabled

I made the wrong decision, If you want to do anything to your car $4000 will do it, If you don't want that huge wheel gap in front and plan on lowering the MR, be ready for some weird stuff to happen while cornering. I would kill for a black stardard IX. All the IX vs. MR threads which their are plenty of, make it sound like it's a toss up, it's not in my opinion

Quick Reply: Evo IX MR vs. Evo IX: Is the MR worth it?