Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo IX MR vs. Evo IX: Is the MR worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2006, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The laptime differences between the GSR and the MR are pretty minimal. The vortex generators do not generate downforce in and of themselves. They are supposed to theoretically "smooth" the air flow off the roof . If you want to argue that this allows for the rear wing to be more effective that is possibly true, but only at very high speeds.

I do not believe that the aero effects make that much of a difference at non-track speeds.

If you spent the money that you saved by buying a GSR on mods (ECU flash to start with), you'd be able to easily get the GSR to go faster than a MR.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by zgodfathera
Dont sweat it Tsurara hes just tryin to make himself feel better for not getting an MR....
Haha I haven't bought anything yet, though I am almost positive I'm getting an IX.

If someone can find a good link to prove the value of the aluminum roof or the vortex generators, maybe I'll have a change of heart. Sorry if my initial post came off a bit acerbic
Old Feb 28, 2006, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by yooyooyoo
The laptime differences between the GSR and the MR are pretty minimal. The vortex generators do not generate downforce in and of themselves. They are supposed to theoretically "smooth" the air flow off the roof . If you want to argue that this allows for the rear wing to be more effective that is possibly true, but only at very high speeds.

I do not believe that the aero effects make that much of a difference at non-track speeds.

If you spent the money that you saved by buying a GSR on mods (ECU flash to start with), you'd be able to easily get the GSR to go faster than a MR.
Still wouldnt be an MR though!
Old Feb 28, 2006, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Still wouldnt be an MR though!
Yeah, it'd be a hell of a lot faster. assuming $4k is the difference, you could easily tune the GSR to 400 whp and have money left over for stickier rubber.

Then your car would whoop the MR in everyway, except maybe the "coolness" factor of having a MR badge and those tiny little sharkfins breaking up your roofline.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tsurara
The aluminum roof saves a good deal of weight compared to the steel roof (Robi said 40 lbs solid/80lbs sunroof) where you need it most. The vortex generators are functional over 80mph and create downforce. The Zero lift kit includes brake air duct guides which are fairly valuable and also generates downforce (the kit, not the guides, to clarify). Are you downplaying the importance of good aero?
40 lbs saved from aluminum roof? Sorry this is simply incorrect. From media.mitsubishicars.com:

Originally Posted by Mitsubishi Motors
The Lancer Evolution RS and MR were the first steel monocoque-bodied Japanese production cars with an aluminum roof panel. The use of aluminum reduces the upper body weight by approximately 8.8 lbs (4 kg)
I agree that the zero lift kit is very helpful, but it's expensive. The brake air duct guides can be purchased from Mitsubishi seperately for much less (even for the plain jane IX).

I'll go look up the white paper on the vortex generators. It has technical data discovered by the Mitsubishi engineers and it should shed light on that particular feature.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by urBan_dK
40 lbs saved from aluminum roof? Sorry this is simply incorrect. From media.mitsubishicars.com:

I agree that the zero lift kit is very helpful, but it's expensive. The brake air duct guides can be purchased from Mitsubishi seperately for much less (even for the plain jane IX).

I'll go look up the white paper on the vortex generators. It has technical data discovered by the Mitsubishi engineers and it should shed light on that particular feature.
*shrug* I am just stating what a real and reputable person who actually races their car says. If you want to trust Mitsubishi marketing all the time, feel free.

Also, the zero lift kit is 250$ invoice, if you are buying a 30,000$ car, that shouldn't be an issue.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:04 AM
Rnm
Evolved Member

Couldn't justify the price hike that the MR has over the regular IX, so I got the IX and I am pretty happy with it. If I travelled on the highway often, it would be nice to have a 6th gear though. At 65mph in 5th, I am at 3000rpms in my IX, but I don't mind.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

*shrug* I am just stating what a real and reputable person who actually races their car says. If you want to trust Mitsubishi marketing all the time, feel free.
I'm just trying to dispell incorrect information. If I'm not to believe Mitsubishi, why would they quote a much lower weight savings then, say, Robi? If Mitsubishi marketing is a liar, maybe the weight savings is less than 8.8 lbs....

Also, the zero lift kit is 250$ invoice, if you are buying a 30,000$ car, that shouldn't be an issue.
Still, $250 ($310 retail) for a strip of plastic under the front bumper and on the rear wing and some cooling guides? Give me a break!

My goal is just to present factual information. I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes. If someone want's to spend an extra $5000 on an MR, more power to them. The cost/benefit just isn't there for me.

Last edited by urBan_dK; Feb 28, 2006 at 11:09 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

If someone want's to spend an extra $5000 on an MR, more power to them. The cost/benefit just isn't there for me.
You're not stepping on anyone's toes. If you don't want to spend the cash, don't get one, pretty simple.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

Zero lift kit is basically useless ,
took the extension out after it is bent (after having the car for a wk )
Brake air guide is useful , but then u can just go and buy it urself

gauge pack is too hard to see , but then it already has the wiring and vac tube setup
or u can just do a stereo-gauge swap

basically , it comes down to the 6 speed gear box

if u can sell off ur b. suspension , air dam ext ., ur BBS wheels , sell ur gauge pack ,
it actually dun cost u that much for an MR

you need to ask urself a question:

u want anything in Base IX that re not on a MR ?
(SSL items)
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by yooyooyoo
Yeah, it'd be a hell of a lot faster. assuming $4k is the difference, you could easily tune the GSR to 400 whp and have money left over for stickier rubber.

Then your car would whoop the MR in everyway, except maybe the "coolness" factor of having a MR badge and those tiny little sharkfins breaking up your roofline.
okay enough at the end of the day if u had to pick (for free) an 06 GSR or 06 MR which one would u pick? i think i kinda know the answer!
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

okay enough at the end of the day if u had to pick (for free) an 06 GSR or 06 MR which one would u pick? i think i kinda know the answer!
I agree with you. Who wouldn't take the more expensive vehicle?

But, given the choice between an 06 MR and and an 06 GSR + $5000, I'd take the GSR! I think this would be a more relevant example
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

I agree with you. Who wouldn't take the more expensive vehicle?

But, given the choice between an 06 MR and and an 06 GSR + $5000, I'd take the GSR! I think this would be a more relevant example
Beautiful, so he said it if u want the better car dish out the cash and get it.... IMHO i just got the MR for braggin rights over my brother-in-laws 05 Sti
Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

The only reason i see someone gettitng a 9 mr is if they want 6 gear, but if you want that other stuff, then just get a IX and buy some suspension kit, Hid kit, and
you got a better mr, minus the 6 gears. ANd it only cost you..................................
IX + 1500 = better then MR
Old Feb 28, 2006, 01:52 PM

Go look at Motor trend online and check out the comparo between the 3 evo VIII's.
I betcha with the 5 speed gearing change for the IX and perchasing light wheels will get you same or what I believe to be better performance than the mr.

Quick Reply: Evo IX MR vs. Evo IX: Is the MR worth it?