Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

-PICS- Damaged my EVO, I got all 4 wheels off the ground

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
-PICS- Damaged my EVO, I got all 4 wheels off the ground

Well this morning I went to the paint shop to get a custom paint job on my hood (thread in show and shine). After they removed my hood and we got everything set-up I left in my hoodless EVO to go back to my house.
I hit a dip in the road going about 40mph and all of a sudden my car was in the air with all 4 wheel off the ground. the nose of the car came down first and it tore the lower lip off along with the under panel.
The guys at the paint shop saw it happen and I turned around and asked if they wanted some more work. The front lip was not damaged too bad (only some scuffs) they are repainting it. But the under panel did not survive. I already ordered it from the dealership.

As far as other damages go, There was no damage to the underside execpt for the underpanel, and the bumper cover didnt even get a scratch. Thank God it was only cosmetic damage.

According to the people watching when it happened, it was the most amazing thing they have ever seen.
Attached Thumbnails -PICS- Damaged my EVO, I got all 4 wheels off the ground-air.jpg   -PICS- Damaged my EVO, I got all 4 wheels off the ground-p1010001.jpg   -PICS- Damaged my EVO, I got all 4 wheels off the ground-p1010002.jpg   -PICS- Damaged my EVO, I got all 4 wheels off the ground-p1010003.jpg  
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
too bad you didn't have a pic of the car in the air.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

i went over one at 110 once and was in mid air for at least 3 seconds.. crazy stuff... another time it happened on the way to columbus on rt62, people said "3ft" up and came down and dust just blew out from the bottom of the car... i had no damage....
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah I wish someone would have taken a pic, but no one was expecting it, neither was I.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sucks to hear that happened..

Lol with the way you started off about driving a hoodless evo, i thought you were gonna say ur engine popped out when u hit a huge pothole or something haha...
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Why oh why were you doing 40 mph in an area that dense with objects? You got lucky you didnt hurt yourself, others around you, or your car more. Can we please stop with the stupid stuff so my insurance rates dont increase rediculous amounts anymore?
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Always wanted to see what would happen if you caught air like that. Wish I could have seen it in person. At least it looked cool. Hope not much $. Keep the shiny side up.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tristar Racing
Why oh why were you doing 40 mph in an area that dense with objects? You got lucky you didnt hurt yourself, others around you, or your car more. Can we please stop with the stupid stuff so my insurance rates dont increase rediculous amounts anymore?
In the pictures there are other cars there, when it happened there was nothing there. this is a back alley, only people there were from the paint shop.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by superscout03
In the pictures there are other cars there, when it happened there was nothing there. this is a back alley, only people there were from the paint shop.
Even so, why? There is still very little run off after the area you caught air, still seems risky.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Paint it like the General Lee than it will be offical
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

According to the people watching when it happened, it was the most amazing thing they have ever seen.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

LOL, wtf.

Do it again and have someone record it with a video camera so we can experience it first hand.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Would you please tell me how the body shop reattaches your lower lip? Mine is falling off on one side due to hitting too many autcross cones, but my body shop said there's no way they can repair it, since the glued on brackets are broken, and there's no place you can get a rivet gun in there to rivet (or even bolt together the pieces). Anyone have suggestions?

Well this morning I went to the paint shop to get a custom paint job on my hood (thread in show and shine). After they removed my hood and we got everything set-up I left in my hoodless EVO to go back to my house.
I hit a dip in the road going about 40mph and all of a sudden my car was in the air with all 4 wheel off the ground. the nose of the car came down first and it tore the lower lip off along with the under panel.
The guys at the paint shop saw it happen and I turned around and asked if they wanted some more work. The front lip was not damaged too bad (only some scuffs) they are repainting it. But the under panel did not survive. I already ordered it from the dealership.

As far as other damages go, There was no damage to the underside execpt for the underpanel, and the bumper cover didnt even get a scratch. Thank God it was only cosmetic damage.

Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

The old RRE parking lot airtime pics are still the best.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

that almost makes me wonder if the hood has an aerodynamic function = down force?