Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My IX is just giving me ISSUES!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by parrothead
I'm not sure about the IX, but I had the VIII and I think they have the same KYB suspension. I liked the stiffness of the VIII but not the See-Saw affect. Whereas the IX MR with the bilsteins is softer and easier on the bottom side on longer drives but I find that it feels like the car is floating on spirited driving specially on hilly courses. Anybody else have this feel?
absolutely, but i felt it was one of the selling points of the MR
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by parrothead
Whereas the IX MR with the bilsteins is softer and easier on the bottom side on longer drives but I find that it feels like the car is floating on spirited driving specially on hilly courses. Anybody else have this feel?
a stiffer rear sway bar will get rid of that floaty feel.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by broddey
No clunks on mine.....7500 miles. I do, however, have this nasty shudder at partial clutch in first when the car is cold. If I let out the clutch just right when its slipping, pulling me forward, the whole car shudders like hell and feels like its having a seizure......

After it warms up, it is good to go. I think I might have a warped flywheel. Any suggestions?
Thats just clutch chatter. Just about any high capacity clutch will do it. Just give it a bit more revs while you are slipping the clutch and it'll go away.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

i have had mine for almost 4000miles now, no problems at all, and the trany is way smoother that my 05 evo 8 5spd.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:42 AM
Account Disabled

did you break the car in gently or hard?
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My IX feels really notchy if it's not warmed up yet. There's some un-needed feedback from the gearbox if the car is cold. I'm not shifting hard, it's just like the tranny is cold.

Once the engine temp warms up to normal, that goes away though.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
My IX feels really notchy if it's not warmed up yet. There's some un-needed feedback from the gearbox if the car is cold. I'm not shifting hard, it's just like the tranny is cold.

Once the engine temp warms up to normal, that goes away though.
Yup, that's how it is for most high performance turbo cars. My 3000GT VR4 was the same way, if not worst. But when I let it warm up, very smooth shifts. The EVO is a much easier and smoother to shift than any of my 3000GTs ( I owned 3 of them). I mean I think people just nit pick at the EVO too much. I cannot count how many miss-shifts I had with my VR4. The Audi also took me a long time to get use too. Man for the first month or even two, every time I drove the Audi I was smelling clutch, it was kind of hard to drive, but once I got it down, it was the smoothest clutch car I ever driven. I love the EVO because damn, it so easy to drive, man I haven't smelt clutch burn yet, not even when I launch, except the time I bogged.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GinuwineEvo8
Clunk = dont know how to drive awd and your dropping the clutch to fast in each gear =P ..

*sigh* ..
The clunk comes when you upshift from 1-2 or 2-3 while the clutch is fully depressed you brain. I'm pretty sure that most of us know how to drive a stick, don't just assume otherwise. My WRX will do this if I was upshifting too rapidly and my old M Coupe never had this problem. It is kind of unnerving to have this issue on a brand new $32K car... well the grinding noises at least. The brake squeal is understandable due to the fact that the car is outfitted with some pretty serious brakes... this is pretty normal. Grinding while smoothly and slowly shifting gears, not normal.

Edit: My Evo was broken in very gingerly by the way.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Well I think you guys dont know how to drive the car, I've let my boss drive it and he was really fast on the clutch and he would get the clunk ugh did it sound bad. yall gotta be slower the on release of clutch when its up top. Another thing is that the gear box is very stiff till 10,000 miles after then it should be smoothe sailing.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kr1s
...1500 miles, oil change
2800 miles, oil change...

Haven't gotten to the rest yet.

...The brakes are BLAH...I can I suppose deal with it....

...The clunk....

...The whine from the belts seem a little silly...

kris
Wow... you have an oil phobia? You get rid of that stuff fast!

Brakes are BLAH!? Never heard anybody say that before. I think they are freaking amazing!

The clunk... I have a '05 VIII... but I used to have a pretty bad 2-3rd clunk, but it ended up just being the way I was driving. I was trying to force the gears into place. Now I kind of give it a second to sync up, and it slides in no problem (and I had to slow down my clutch release too... this was different than any other car I'd driven... so took some adjusting). Your problem could be totally different though... who knows.

This might sound stupid but... are you talking about belt whine? Or gear whine? After about 800 miles... I started to hear the gear whine a bit louder. And after about 3,000 the engine loosened up a bit, and starts to sound more 'growly' than when I first got it. I took a drive with a mechanic and he told me everything was totally normal... so I got used to it. (I don't mind noises... I just want to make sure the noises are not from something that's wrong).

Just some thoughts.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 02:44 PM

Ive got 16.5k miles on my IX and killed the clutch in 15k, now ive got about 1.5k on a clutchmasters fx300. when its cold it "clunks" in 1st 2nd and 3rd; but at normal operating temperature as long as im releasing the clutch properly engangement is very smooth, and quiet, lol even with the clutchmasters.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

the tranny takes A LONG TIME to get rid of the notchiness

what all you noobs are doing, which is frankly driving me NUTZ, is power shifting while the tranny is getting broken in. . .

It took me about 2k miles of easy shifting and driving before I started power shifting, and I haven't had ANY PROBLEMS with grinding. . .I think grinding is a driver induced issue. . .

Remember, these are pretty heavy duty synchros and it takes awhile before they have enough of the small metallic shavings worn off before the tranny shifts smoothly. . .

oh yeah, change the fluid AT THE LATEST by 10k, and I mean EVERYTHING, LSD, tranny box, etc. . .and make sure y'all use the Mitsu Diaqueen LSD stuff for the rear diff. . .
Old Mar 2, 2006, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Hey everyone. To the folks with good information. Thank you for your input. To the naysayers who are saying I can't drive, ya'll can't drive and whatnot, I mean, come on. I don't know if you have seen my sig with my old car, but I have built a nice 500whp SRT-4. Yes...I BUILT it. My buddies at a local shop did the rods and pistons just for the simple fact that my garage is too small for a cherry picker and engine stand.

About the oil phobia. Yes, like I said, I am a little OCD with my car. I like to keep stuff fresh. I used to change my oil AND my spark plugs every 2k miles on the SRT-4. I am all about constructive criticism but people on a lot of automotive forums need to chill and understand that we are in the same boat...We are all car junkies...Help people out when they ask. Just my $.02.

Kris
Old Mar 2, 2006, 05:34 PM

I have the same car as you with a couple of the same problems my friend.

1-2 shift clunk and my damn brakes squeak...it's kind of embarrasing sometimes.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mmelmann
The clunk comes when you upshift from 1-2 or 2-3 while the clutch is fully depressed you brain. I'm pretty sure that most of us know how to drive a stick, don't just assume otherwise. My WRX will do this if I was upshifting too rapidly and my old M Coupe never had this problem. It is kind of unnerving to have this issue on a brand new $32K car... well the grinding noises at least. The brake squeal is understandable due to the fact that the car is outfitted with some pretty serious brakes... this is pretty normal. Grinding while smoothly and slowly shifting gears, not normal.

Edit: My Evo was broken in very gingerly by the way.
What RPMs do you get the clunk sound? I get grinding also. Maybe it's drivers Error. With the Evos. You gotta make sure the clutch is to the Floor and then the gears will go in smoothly. Even if you lift your foot up by accident a Tad, you might grind. I dont get a bad grind though. It cant be heard but you can feel it. Maybe you just arent pushing the clutch down all the way? And if your are, your pushing it down all the way, then let up a little before the shift unknowingly.