Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My IX is just giving me ISSUES!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2006, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eggy
wow you guys are really making the trannies sound like crap >.< this is scary...
they aren't crap to people who are competent enough to know how to drive and break them in PROPERLY. . .these synchros are OVERBUILT, hence they are notchy, and clunky, and they essentially hit great fluidity after 10k miles, so go easy on them and quick upshifting and downshifting like you're in the Fast and Furious UNLESS the tranny AND oil have reached optimal temp's (like 10 minutes of driving or so). . .
Old Mar 29, 2006, 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

gotcha... Well, I am a pretty smooth driver, so I hope I won't run into those kinds of problems.... for the first 10k miles at least ^^
Old Mar 29, 2006, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

change your transmission fluids and diff fluids. Use OEM Diaqueen for your diffs, and try PZ Syncromesh or Syncroshift for transmission. Since I used it, it virtually got rid of my 1-2 clunk.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:09 AM

My IX is having the 1-2 clunk. I'm not worried about that I'm waiting for it to smooth out. What I am concerned about is sporadically instead of a clunk it won't accept 2nd gear at all!
Any suggestions? I do want to get the synchro shift but I'm not sure that will help this problem.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 06:09 PM

My IX is making a metallic sound at part throttle. It only happens at lower rpm when i'm i gear. If i put it in neutral while it's making the sound, the sound stops. If i step on the gas, the sound stops. At first, the noise started out being barely audible but it has gotten louder till there's now no way you can miss it. My car has about 3600 miles on it and i just changed the engine oil. I'm thinking that it's either a diff or tranny problem (i still have the stock clutch). I checked the differential and the oil level was somewhat low but not ridiculously so. There were no shavings on the bung either. I want to take my car into the dealership but i have a 3" TBE with a test pipe so the dealer might ***** about it.

Has anyone had this experience or have any ideas about what it might be?
Old Apr 2, 2006, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Lemon Law?
Old Apr 2, 2006, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

not a damn problem with mine besides not being able to get on it (im trying to put at least 2k miles on it b4 i do) then again i only have 680 miles....
Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Wrath
My IX is making a metallic sound at part throttle. It only happens at lower rpm when i'm i gear. If i put it in neutral while it's making the sound, the sound stops. If i step on the gas, the sound stops. At first, the noise started out being barely audible but it has gotten louder till there's now no way you can miss it. My car has about 3600 miles on it and i just changed the engine oil. I'm thinking that it's either a diff or tranny problem (i still have the stock clutch). I checked the differential and the oil level was somewhat low but not ridiculously so. There were no shavings on the bung either. I want to take my car into the dealership but i have a 3" TBE with a test pipe so the dealer might ***** about it.

Has anyone had this experience or have any ideas about what it might be?
I had a similar "problem" with my car. I took a mechanic out for a drive in the car and he told me it was just normal "gear growl" and not to worry about it. It kicked in about 3,000 miles for me and I still hear it. The guy just told me that these cars have big beefy gears and they make a lot of noise. Besides that noise I haven't had any problems. I asked around and a few other people were hearing the same (or similar) sound. So I just live with it now and got used to it. Maybe it's the same for you... maybe not.