Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Here's a new one...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2006, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a new one...

So i've been kicking around the idea of trading in my 04 VIII for a 06 IX because of the new warranty. I don't have any mods on my car and it does me fine as a daily driver. I have 36k miles on it and i'm still on my first set of brakepads. Cars in excellent condition, so I figured why not if i can get lower payments.

I've been haggling with 3 dealerships for the last two months and finally one of them broke down and said this: We're going to give you the employee discount on the IX so your payments can be lower and we don't have to eat so much in negative equity in your 04 VIII. They said some guy at the dealership would be my sponsor and I would have to come in and fill out the employee discount papers. They said they're allowed 4 a year and not to mention this to other dealerships.

Load of crap? Who knows until I see the papers.. but man.. this is a new tactic to me.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

Im calling BS. Good way to sell you a car though.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

WOW..can i get your haggling skills? lol
Old Mar 2, 2006, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

BS, Stealerships are in business to rip you off. They'll make u think your saving when in turn ur not.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah.. i know they're there to make money.. who isn't? It always takes me a LONG time to purchase a car. Pesistance and patience always win out. Right now my pay off on my VIII is 24k. I might be able to do that in a private sale. Who knows. I do believe if the dealership knows you are going to buy a car, just a matter from who and how much they'll start dealing with you. I NEVER put money down. First you work the front end.. the actual price of the car.. than you mention the fact you might be trading in after that. That way they don't work the back end while you're working the front end!
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:20 AM
Account Disabled

Matt...sounds like you know the drill pretty good. I always wait until the very end of the month to buy cars and I make sure to tell the rep that right now this is a "nice to have" and not a "need to have". It drives them nuts when they can't instill a sense of urgency into the deal.