Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo IX GSR or MR?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drove both when i bought my IX two weeks ago and I prefered the suspension of the IX. I also prefered the SSL package on the IX which includes beautiful all leather Recaro seats, a far better sound system, HID's, and sunroof.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 11:39 PM
Evolving Member

Here's a novel idea - Why don't you test drive a GSR and an MR? I guess that would require finding a dealership that has some nice salespeople, which is often times hard to find. If you can find one that'll let you test drive both of them though, that may be a nice option.

A dealer in my area let me and a friend of mine test drive a brand new '04 RS and a fully loaded '04 GSR back in 2004, and the test drive made the choice very simple for me. My options at the time were a little different - I know that RS vs GSR is different than GSR vs MR. I've never driven an MR, and if money were no object, I probably would opt for one, but I'd need a nice test drive to verify this. I am quite happy w/ my RS though, and as weird as this may sound, I suddenly hate power options and you'd have to kill me before I would get a sunroof car!

Good luck on your purchase!
Old Mar 4, 2006, 12:33 AM
Evolved Member

yea test drives would help so much....too bad mitsu dealerships are b*tches about it.

to Andrew LB: is it true that the sub takes up most of the trunk space for SSL? thanks
Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FluxedSpeed
Holy hell that was the longest sentence ever.
lol
Old Mar 4, 2006, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Before I purchased my IX, I was debating on this as well. I was deciding bewteen a WW IX MR and a base IX without SSL (GSR). I think the dealers here made the decision easier for me. I bought my Tarmac Black IX at 29,5XX (invoice) and the dealers here wanted 41XXX before TTL for the MR. That's over 10000 in difference so I bought my IX if i could go back and do it again, I would still chose my tarmac black IX. It's up to you, if you can live without the six speed, bilstein shocks, aluminum roof, and HID go with the IX, if not get the MR. Take a test drive first, usually you never look back.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

I had a 05 STi. I now have a IX GSR. Yes the 6spd in the STi does get annoying because you do have to shift every 2 seconds. Im very happy with the 5spd of the GSR plus it is 1 less gear you have to shift at the track
Old Mar 4, 2006, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by stiguy
I had a 05 STi. I now have a IX GSR. Yes the 6spd in the STi does get annoying because you do have to shift every 2 seconds. Im very happy with the 5spd of the GSR plus it is 1 less gear you have to shift at the track
As far as the Evo IX goes, 1st thru 4th are virtually the exact same gear ratios on the GSR 5MT and the MR 6MT. Seems to me that for around-town driving, there would be no difference in the amount of shifting with a GSR or MR.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by stiguy

how would you compare your evo to your sti?
Old Mar 7, 2006, 12:00 PM

Hey Bro, I currently own an EVO 8 GSR and am trading it in on an '06 MR. I would definitely get the MR not just for the 6 speed transmission but also b/c of the aluminum roof and hood that does help out a lot. If anything else I don't know how everybody else does but during highway speeds i'm always wishing i had a 6th gear to save on gas.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol, you drive a "performance car" and you hate shifting? wow!

in city cruise 40-50mph, a GSR can stay in 4th...

i seriously cant see why you would shift into 6th gear in the city....

good luck...

- Eddy

Originally Posted by andifidie
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, yet I have been reading it for the last few months. I have learned a lot from this forum and from all of your posts. I have an 06 STi, and yes.. Im already considering trading it in on a IX. My question is what should I get, a IX GSR, or MR. The main concerns I have are the tranny, Im kinda sick of my 6mt because I have to shift so much, so which one is better, or more liked among people? Which one would be better suited for the track (circut and time attack)

Do the two trannies make a difference in 1/4 mile times? 0-60 times? and top speed?

thanks in advanced. hopefully I will be part of the darkside soon
Old Mar 7, 2006, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Viciouslord
lol, you drive a "performance car" and you hate shifting? wow!

in city cruise 40-50mph, a GSR can stay in 4th...

i seriously cant see why you would shift into 6th gear in the city....

good luck...

- Eddy
I didnt say that i hate to shift. I simply said that it can get annoying from time to time such as early morning or just not up for the task. And just cause its a performance car doesnt mean its driven like one all the time.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tlegrantjr
Hey Bro, I currently own an EVO 8 GSR and am trading it in on an '06 MR. I would definitely get the MR not just for the 6 speed transmission but also b/c of the aluminum roof and hood that does help out a lot. If anything else I don't know how everybody else does but during highway speeds i'm always wishing i had a 6th gear to save on gas.
The aluminum hood is on all models.

The 6 speed won't make a real difference at highway speeds. Compare the 5th gear of the 5spd to the 6th gear of the 6spd and they are almost identical.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by yoderboy24
its really not the tranny with the MR its the suspenshion on them! if your not worried about $ get the MR but i would just get the GRS and put some nice adj coilovers for about 1K and the MR price diffrince is almost 5grand i persionaly wouldnt get it unless your not planning on moding it cuz then the MR is obv going to be nice out of the box but its not like the MR will make more power in the long run.
The tranny is different, so is the gearing. If you want 1/4 times it has been hard to get the mr's to achieve equal times as the gsr up to high 11's. The reason is the mr needs fifth gear after 111ish.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

^1st - 4th are now exactly the same (in the IX and IX MR)
Old Mar 7, 2006, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fusionchicken
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html - a test by motortrend between the Evo VIII rs, gsr, and mr. honestly, even on the track, the mr was not too much faster to justify the price difference IMHO.

anyways, GSR for me, because for the price difference, I can make it run circles around the MR. Of course, u wont' get the bilstein shocks (but if u're going aftermarket suspension why bother), bbs rims (heavier but stronger than enkei's on the GSR), and aluminum roof, but _I_ can more than live without them. Btw, I am able to afford either car, so price is not an option for me.

disclaimer:
everything i've typed are from what i've read and seen and heard. Hopefully the info is accurate, but if it's not, just tell me nicely without the crazy flames please. also, my justification for the GSR over the MR _IS NOT FOR EVERYBODY_, obviously most of the MR owners on this board thought differently than I did. I am merely putting in my humble opinion.

The BBS Rims are lighter

they mention it on the motor trend article

"The MR's BBS aluminum alloys are each 2.8 pounds lighter than the Evo VIII's and RS's standard Enkei's, and when accelerating (or decelerating), a rolling wheel presents more effective mass than a simple scale can measure, multiplying the value of the BBS's weight saving." ~ Motor Trend Article

Quick Reply: Evo IX GSR or MR?