Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo IX GSR or MR?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo IX GSR or MR?

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, yet I have been reading it for the last few months. I have learned a lot from this forum and from all of your posts. I have an 06 STi, and yes.. Im already considering trading it in on a IX. My question is what should I get, a IX GSR, or MR. The main concerns I have are the tranny, Im kinda sick of my 6mt because I have to shift so much, so which one is better, or more liked among people? Which one would be better suited for the track (circut and time attack)

Do the two trannies make a difference in 1/4 mile times? 0-60 times? and top speed?

thanks in advanced. hopefully I will be part of the darkside soon
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

Welcome to the "I'm about to trade my STi in for an Evo IX" club.

GSR ftw.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:46 PM

its really not the tranny with the MR its the suspenshion on them! if your not worried about $ get the MR but i would just get the GRS and put some nice adj coilovers for about 1K and the MR price diffrince is almost 5grand i persionaly wouldnt get it unless your not planning on moding it cuz then the MR is obv going to be nice out of the box but its not like the MR will make more power in the long run.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by yoderboy24
its really not the tranny with the MR its the suspenshion on them! if your not worried about $ get the MR but i would just get the GRS and put some nice adj coilovers for about 1K and the MR price diffrince is almost 5grand i persionaly wouldnt get it unless your not planning on moding it cuz then the MR is obv going to be nice out of the box but its not like the MR will make more power in the long run.
Holy hell that was the longest sentence ever.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by FluxedSpeed
Holy hell that was the longest sentence ever.
hehe who cares its a fourm!
Old Mar 3, 2006, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by yoderboy24

true, but doesnt the 6mt have more pull at higherspeeds, making it faster? Honestly, Im kinda sick of my 6mt in my sti, I find myself having to shift to much, but will i be having slower circut and time attack times with a 5mt?
Old Mar 3, 2006, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Hey, didn't we have about 30 of these threads yesterday?

Do a search and find one that suits your budget.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tsurara
Hey, didn't we have about 30 of these threads yesterday?

Do a search and find one that suits your budget.

I have done some searches, i cant find anything, i can afford both. Does the GSR have any advantages over the MR
Old Mar 3, 2006, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

only one off the top of my head......cheaper. >.> which is better if you're going to mod anyway. =P
Old Mar 3, 2006, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by andifidie
I have done some searches, i cant find anything, i can afford both. Does the GSR have any advantages over the MR
Ok, its cheaper and a 5 speed is better on the track, IMO. The MR has some goodies, an aluminum roof, upgraded suspension (whatever) and an aluminum roof.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tsurara
Ok, its cheaper and a 5 speed is better on the track, IMO. The MR has some goodies, an aluminum roof, upgraded suspension (whatever) and an aluminum roof.

track as in 1/4 mile? or track as in circut?
Old Mar 3, 2006, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by andifidie
track as in 1/4 mile? or track as in circut?
Circuit.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html - a test by motortrend between the Evo VIII rs, gsr, and mr. honestly, even on the track, the mr was not too much faster to justify the price difference IMHO.

from what i've seen and read and heard, the IX gsr is basically the same as the VIII MR except faster in the straights (from the comparison tests i've seen from Best Motoring anyways) so that should give you an idea. I don't think any reliable source has tested the IX gsr vs the IX mr yet, but even if they did, I'm willing to bet that they are going to get similar results as motortrend got with the VIII's.

5 speed Evo's are slightly faster in acceleration for the 1320, because u shift 1 less gear by the 1/4 mark (for the VIII, not sure if this applies to the IX)

I'm getting an Evo very soon, and I always wanted the IX MR, but now I'm going to go for the GSR w/out the ssl package, because i cannot justify the price difference between the two based on the minor performance differences. Also, most people buy an Evo to mod it, so getting an MR would be kind of pointless if u can use the price difference to make the GSr insane. I guess if you want to stay stock, go for the MR. I've read that the 5spd tranny is made by getrag (sp?), and the 6spd made by mitsu, ergo the 5 spd is stronger and more reliable for more power (not sure how reliable the source is)

anyways, GSR for me, because for the price difference, I can make it run circles around the MR. Of course, u wont' get the bilstein shocks (but if u're going aftermarket suspension why bother), bbs rims (heavier but stronger than enkei's on the GSR), and aluminum roof, but _I_ can more than live without them. Btw, I am able to afford either car, so price is not an option for me.

disclaimer:
everything i've typed are from what i've read and seen and heard. Hopefully the info is accurate, but if it's not, just tell me nicely without the crazy flames please. also, my justification for the GSR over the MR _IS NOT FOR EVERYBODY_, obviously most of the MR owners on this board thought differently than I did. I am merely putting in my humble opinion.

Old Mar 3, 2006, 07:50 PM

EVO IX GSR or MR

I know what the right choice was for me. I put 49,000 HARD miles on my 03 EVO8 GSR and loved every mile. I just sold it and bought an EVO9 MR. There was a $4400 difference between the GSR and the MR....but in the end I decided MR...and I am truly thankful I made the right decision for me. I thought the MR six-speed was no-benefit. I WAS WRONG. I love shifting...and the six-speed is perfect for me. Having three gears to choose from (4,5,6) where I used to have only two (4,5) gives me a lot more options in the 45-90 mile-an-hour sport touring range. Also, you can't put a price on the factory HID headlights. The difference is literally night and day. I would have had to give up the HIDs that came stock on my base model 03. You can always convert/buy a kit...but just another pita (pain-in-the-***). The Bilstein suspension is SO MUCH MORE SUPPLE than the GSR suspension that it is amazing (I still plan on Ohlin coilovers as soon as they are in stock). The difference in monthly payments is so small...it's inconsequential over the life of the car. The bottom line...if you hate shifting your six-speed STI...buy a GSR...or something with an automatic...

Last edited by ranmonbu; Mar 3, 2006 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Miss-spell
Old Mar 3, 2006, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

i thought they say all the IX's ride as well as the IX MR now?? i couldnt' believe it either but some of the members here really drove home the point that all the IX's, even the RS, rides pretty much the same as the IX MR now.....???

Quick Reply: Evo IX GSR or MR?