Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What mods for 300hp and less than $1000

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2003, 10:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it is oil lubricated water cooled yes... but if you shut it off when the oil and housing hasnt had time to cool off, it will burn up the little shaft that the wheel spins on, among other ways that is hard on it....
WITHOUT MESSING UP SMOG... STOCK CAT... SAME BOOST
1. Downpipe-$250 +/- better top end, better boost response
2. S-AFC II- $300 +/- (lean out that super rich top end map... just put this in my gvr-4 and its more precise than the s-afc with 12 NE pts., has better programs, 2 different memory settings too!)BTW it has the same wiring setup/install so dont worry about the japanese instructions
3. FULL INTAKE- $115 at www.rmrproducts.com (add greddy bov and you wont be able to stop accelerating to hear the spool and release, i would leave work 4 times a day in my big28upgraded gsx for these sounds, its addicting)
4. GREDDY B.O.V.- 200+95-99 eclipse adaptor 15=$215 (hold that boost better)
TOTAL PRICE=880
1.=10-20hp
2.=20-30hp
3.=5hp
4.=5-10hp
TOTAL POWER=40-65hp
Old Apr 4, 2003, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ShapeGSX
A turbo timer is not necessary. The Evo's turbo is water cooled.
I want to get this straight. I have heard several different things here and there.

Is the turbo just oil cooled, or both water and oil cooled?

I know it has to be at least oil cooled because the oil flows through the bearings and draws heat away from them. My dealer told me its was oil cooled and actually had and oil cooler built in. But again, you can never trust what dealer says. I remember my old 2G Eclipse was just oil cooled and I believe it had a small oil cooler up front.

Thanks,
smanders
Old Apr 4, 2003, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by smanders

I want to get this straight. I have heard several different things here and there.

Is the turbo just oil cooled, or both water and oil cooled?

I know it has to be at least oil cooled because the oil flows through the bearings and draws heat away from them. My dealer told me its was oil cooled and actually had and oil cooler built in. But again, you can never trust what dealer says. I remember my old 2G Eclipse was just oil cooled and I believe it had a small oil cooler up front.

Thanks,
smanders
Mitsubishi TD05 turbochargers are water cooled.

Your Eclipse had a water cooled turbo. Hell, I have the stock turbo from an Eclipse in my garage. It has 4 ports on the bearing housing. 2 for oil, 2 for coolant.

The Eclipse also has a water cooled oil cooler. An oil cooler is a smart idea on any turbocharged vehicle.

I believe that the Evo has an air cooled oil cooler.

Read the Evo VIII PDF. It mentions that the Evo VIII has a water cooled turbo.