Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo or S2k

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cloudy
Ya ok let me make this simple for you.
Go buy a Evo IX now!

Oh and carlos how did the clutch install go? Did you drop the car off?

I wish i could buy a IX but i'm gonna be stuck with a VIII which won't bother me?

Are 03-04 Evo's as bad as i heard and are the 05's that much better?

Also in some Evos i've seen they had all black seats which ones came with them, they look a million times better than the ones with the blue centers!!!
Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by 4 Wheel Slide
i looked into a s2k...in what way is that practical? unless u dont need a trunk....

Sounds like my FD there, i can't even put my guitar amp in my FD's truck/hatch whatever you want to call it and its only a lil marshall 100watt single speaker amp LOL.

Evo for sure but which year is another problem!!
Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

its the STi trannies that are very strong. Commonly 04-05 wrx trannies break under normal wear and tear. Subaru even calls the shifting problems "lazy" synchros, ones that .. dont work any more.

the STi 6 speed is massively bullet proof. rear ends will break before that trans does.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by MBaran
its the STi trannies that are very strong. Commonly 04-05 wrx trannies break under normal wear and tear. Subaru even calls the shifting problems "lazy" synchros, ones that .. dont work any more.

the STi 6 speed is massively bullet proof. rear ends will break before that trans does.

What about 03-04 Evo's??
Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

is is the 05's that recieved stronger synchros?

not sure, someone chime in.

i think the transmission was altered in 05 and to carry through to 06.. not sure what though, or how the 03-04 is.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

I live in Ohio too and I've been thinking about s2000's lately. I went to go test drive a new 06 about three weeks ago. Really nice car, fit an finish are great. I took it out and got on it pretty good. (The salesman told me to wind it out to compare to the Evo.) The engine really does need to be wound to at least 5k to start the fun. I keep coming back to my Evo though for these reasons:

- With winter tires the Evo a blast in the snow. RWD in winter sux. I had an M roadster before and even with blizzacks it wanted to spin in about 2" of white stuff. The Evo was great even last year when we got 18" in Dec.

- Torque. Compared to the s2000 the Evo comes on alot sooner and alot stronger in the rev range. I only have an aftermarket air filter so far but my 03 still felt a lot better than the 06 s2000. The IX's would pull pretty hard on an S i'd imagine.

- Mod-ability. You can drop $1.5k in an Evo IX and get around 80+ WHP increase. Not gonna happen in an S2000 without major $$$.

Handling is more a personal preference. The S2000 stuck really damn good on my test drive and hanging the *** end out is a blast. The Evo feels real good too and can be rotated as well.

I doo miss a convertible on the nice days however...

Obvious answer is to drive both thoroughly.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

the evo is a very nice car so is the s2000, i feel the s2 is more of a weekend warrior. besides the fact you can only seat two in it. if your coming from a boosted car i would say dont go to a N/A car. you would be very dissapointed. also the evo is a comfortable daily driver. i drive it every night to work and back no problems nothing.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by sirploppy
I live in Ohio too and I've been thinking about s2000's lately. I went to go test drive a new 06 about three weeks ago. Really nice car, fit an finish are great. I took it out and got on it pretty good. (The salesman told me to wind it out to compare to the Evo.) The engine really does need to be wound to at least 5k to start the fun. I keep coming back to my Evo though for these reasons:

- With winter tires the Evo a blast in the snow. RWD in winter sux. I had an M roadster before and even with blizzacks it wanted to spin in about 2" of white stuff. The Evo was great even last year when we got 18" in Dec.

- Torque. Compared to the s2000 the Evo comes on alot sooner and alot stronger in the rev range. I only have an aftermarket air filter so far but my 03 still felt a lot better than the 06 s2000. The IX's would pull pretty hard on an S i'd imagine.

- Mod-ability. You can drop $1.5k in an Evo IX and get around 80+ WHP increase. Not gonna happen in an S2000 without major $$$.

Handling is more a personal preference. The S2000 stuck really damn good on my test drive and hanging the *** end out is a blast. The Evo feels real good too and can be rotated as well.

I doo miss a convertible on the nice days however...

Obvious answer is to drive both thoroughly.

Thank you for the great info!!!

Wow the Evo got around good last year when we had the blizzard followed by an Ice strom LOL thats pretty amazing!!

You said you had an 03 Evo has the car given you any problems??

Still wondering about which Evo's came with all black seats which look really really nice compared to the ones with the blue centers

And what about 03-04 are the tranny problems true?? and does mitsu. fix them since it seems that its their fault that the tranny would give out so early?

Last edited by importrx7; Mar 6, 2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:20 PM
Evolving Member

Get what ever you want, its your money.

But, i would go evo, A s2k is to impress people that dont know about cars, a Evo is to amaze people that know about cars.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:42 PM
Evolving Member

well you said you need a year round car thats pretty practical... um an Evo is going to do that better than the S2k, however the S2k is a really well rounded great car that will be a blast to drive! The Evo will be fun to - drive both dude
Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:48 PM
Evolving Member

Evo, i mean you can get an s2k, but then youll just get smoked by just about everything, even the grandma in the infinity
Old Mar 7, 2006, 12:03 AM

s2000's just dont have enough power for me personally. I'd take the Evo hands down.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 12:09 AM

Like lots of people, i've driven both (stock) from dealership. all i have to say is WOW!! you'll not only feel the difference, but you will also have way more fun with the evo. plus IMO it looks better. But do some more searching and choose what fits you better. good luck!
Old Mar 7, 2006, 12:19 AM
Evolving Member

GET THE EVO IX MR EDITION! you'll love it.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 12:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by importrx7
I wish i could buy a IX but i'm gonna be stuck with a VIII which won't bother me?

Are 03-04 Evo's as bad as i heard and are the 05's that much better?

Also in some Evos i've seen they had all black seats which ones came with them, they look a million times better than the ones with the blue centers!!!
No excuses, sell your left nut.

And the backseats that are all black are either 06's or evos with SSL package.

Quick Reply: Evo or S2k