Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo or S2k

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2006, 12:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally have never liked drop-tops. S2k's are would be the only honda i would drive. Unless you want to get technical and say that the NSX counts as a honda. You say drop tops = mad ladies, i say Evo all wheel drive turbo'd 4 door = filling the car with more ladies the fastest

EVO

A s2k is to impress people that dont know about cars, a Evo is to amaze people that know about cars. +1
Old Mar 7, 2006, 12:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by importrx7
Sounds like my FD there, i can't even put my guitar amp in my FD's truck/hatch whatever you want to call it and its only a lil marshall 100watt single speaker amp LOL.

Evo for sure but which year is another problem!!

the ix is the best because all come with acd and have mivec/better turbo 20ish-30ish more wheel hp than the 05...if u cant afford that then get a 05 because the hotside is bigger (10.5) and the tranny and transfercase are stronger and they have longer warranties....the 04 and 03 are equal....just find one that looks like it hasn't gottan beatin to day and has lower mileage..the 03 have no warranty soon and 04 a little longer

cheers!!!! i went from a pretty quick a4 awe stg 3 to this...lost every luxury and i dont regret it at all ix is awesome!
Old Mar 7, 2006, 01:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Swift_OwL
Get what ever you want, its your money.

But, i would go evo, A s2k is to impress people that dont know about cars, a Evo is to amaze people that know about cars.
Well said!!!!!
Old Mar 7, 2006, 02:22 AM
Evolving Member

I also live in Ohio, and my brother owned an S2K for 3 years. Consider the following..... Evo's are the hands down better overal car IMO, but S2K's are sexy as hell. Good luck
1) Location in Ohio - I live in NE Ohio and the weather is extremely unpredictable ( Sunny to snow in less than a day)
2) Do you have another beater to drive around in the above scenario? ^^^^ If not, the Evo is more practical.
3) Are you going to mod your new car? You have some of the best tuners in Ohio - Buschur racing, Shearer, JUN BL, Slick Motorsports, Shepard, etc...) for Evo's Hope I am not missing anyone
4) Are you going to be involved in a club? Pretty much Evo's are rare up here, as I know most owners or have atleast talked with them once in the past 3 years. Most Cleveland owners hangout with Subaru guys from Lersoc.com, so it is about an 85-90% advantage for Subby guys.
Ohio S2Ki guys are a really great groups of guys, and they schedule annual drives and track days all the time. Went on one with my brother to SR26 two years ago, and it was a blast.

Hope this helps you!
Old Mar 7, 2006, 04:47 AM
Evolving Member

Did you check out the new MazdaSpeed6? AWD, Turbo, 280hp, nice interior.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

I also live in NE Ohio, and had traded-in my Evo for an S2000.

The Evo has supercar performance capabilities. It's extremely sporty, responds to mods very well, and relatively little money can bring your car to a high level of efficiency. As you already know, AWD is awesome in any weather condition. The four door design makes it very utilitarian. For $35000, you can't simply find another car that can match its speed powess and convenience.

Despite its immense appeal, I traded it in for an S2000. My Evo was practically a summer-only car, so after a while I'd rather have a convertible that's positively impractical. Nevertheless, it's slow compared to an Evo with merely Civic-level power below 5000rpm. It doesn't like mods either. Unless you supercharge the motor, don't expect to get much gain with bolt-ons.

If you plan to drive year-round, then go with the Evo.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

i've owned both. evo is just as fun, maybe more so, and it's wayyyyyy more practical.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

ive driven both, s2k is a very nice car(fun to go sideways), but i think the evo is the way to go.

more space, more doors, faster, the list continues...
Old Mar 7, 2006, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by importrx7

You said you had an 03 Evo has the car given you any problems??
Nope. I have 35k and the only thing I've replaced is brake pads. Still have original clutch holding well...
Old Mar 7, 2006, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Matt-Helm
Did you check out the new MazdaSpeed6? AWD, Turbo, 280hp, nice interior.
Absoloutly a waste of a car, its a pooch!!

Here is your answer, You live in Ohio, Buschur is in Ohio, enough said!
Old Mar 7, 2006, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

The S2K definitely wins in the "fun factor" as I had one a few years back. I did have the Comptec supercharger with after cooler (air to water intercooler) along with a front mount, 9lb pulley, e-manage and a few other things. It put down 325 rwhp on a dyno dynamics dyno and it would *** rape my 9 from a roll. It is a very fun car to drive.

The EVO wins for practical use. It has 4 doors, a trunk, and the engine loves the right mods. You can take 3 people with you if you ever had to go some where as opposed to 1 other person with the S. Like others have said, it snows in OH. The EVO will handle just like the S unless you get snow tires for it.

I like my 9 just as much as I did my previous S. Stock, I prefer the EVO. Just my .02.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

s2000=mazdaspeed miata with vtec my opinion
Old Mar 7, 2006, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
practical:
evo = all wheel drive( u almost like ly to drive all weather condition everywhere)
s2k = 2 wheel drive ( u most likely have fun drifting)

evo = 4 door sedan ( 5 people can fit in the car. kids? no problem)
s2k = 2 seater ( girlfriend/wife only, no more)

fast and fun:

evo = 271 neckbreaking, pissed of horses (turbo all wheel drive power)
s2k = 180 v tec N/A engine (correct me if i'm wrong)

evo = superior handling and quick steering reaction(stock)
s2k = mild steering good handling(stock)

you decide
Old Mar 7, 2006, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
simply put,

Evo =
- faster out off the box
- cheaper to mod and make crazy hp
- more practical
- more expensive to maintain
- more thing that will go wrong

s2k = opposite of everything above
Old Mar 7, 2006, 09:26 AM

S2k is a great car, but like everyone has said, not a great daily driver in terms of utility. I would weigh your needs (utility vs. fun factor). Your answer will be found that way.

Originally Posted by MBaran
its the STi trannies that are very strong. Commonly 04-05 wrx trannies break under normal wear and tear. Subaru even calls the shifting problems "lazy" synchros, ones that .. dont work any more.

the STi 6 speed is massively bullet proof. rear ends will break before that trans does.
Little bit of a correction. It is the 02-early03 trannies that had the most issues. The late 03's and up got wider gears and are stronger than the previous years. Most WRX owners that had tranny problems were 02 and early 03, late 03 and up were mostly fine until they started to beat on them hard. The STI tranny on the other hand is very strong and one tuner is currently using it in a 10 sec car with multiple passes.

Why wouldn't you look at an STI, they are also in your price range?

Quick Reply: Evo or S2k