Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Why did you buy an MR?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
The 6 speed and suspension because it's my daily driver.

I must have HIDs too. And I like the wheels better.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:49 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buy the mr for the rims (extra $2k) then sell the rims for $800 and get volks for $3500.....i love pissing my money away
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
6 speed and the aluminum roof (no really, thats why I bought it).
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

I bought the MR because when I buy something, I buy the best model. It's good for piece of mind because for the next year I will have the "best" Evo.

Also, I wanted a six speed for those jaunts to Vegas. I also wanted the rims...

The performance is so similar that only truly professional drivers would be affected (time wise) by the difference.

The rest was more just to say I had it. (I'm not that worried about spending a few thousand extra).
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought my 05 MR bacause of options and it was cheaper than a New Evo 9. 28,000 MR w/ 7,200mi v/s 29,500 GSR w/ 10mi.

Reasons: The BBS wheels, Bilstein struts(actually stiffer), real carbon fiber, 6-speed tranny(actually gets less mpg), resale value is higher.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 12:01 PM
Account Disabled

It was the first dealership that I went to the day I was shopping for a car. :P
Old Mar 9, 2006, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8emUp
I bought my 05 MR bacause of options and it was cheaper than a New Evo 9. 28,000 MR w/ 7,200mi v/s 29,500 GSR w/ 10mi.

Reasons: The BBS wheels, Bilstein struts(actually stiffer), real carbon fiber, 6-speed tranny(actually gets less mpg), resale value is higher.
actually the bilsteins have 30% less dampening force - meaning a softer ride!
Old Mar 9, 2006, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Are the springs stiffer or something? The GSR I rode in had stock suspension and it was not nearly as harsh of a ride as mine.

Thanks for the info dexmix, I learn something new every day.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

I got it cause I wanted the 6 speed, aluminum roof, and I really wanted stock HIDs without leather... I hate leather in the winter.. brrrrrrr.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 01:30 PM

__

Last edited by QuickSilverDS; Aug 30, 2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 01:43 PM

Because you gotta have the best available from the factory! MR's kick butt!

In my case... I got my MR because I was given an offer i couldn't refuse.

Last edited by Iceplant18; Mar 9, 2006 at 02:50 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

I totally agree with you. In actually i like my gsr better than my MR. just my .02
Originally Posted by QuickSilverDS
My 2cent about the MR after 4 months of owning it. I would've settled for the GSR, if only I thought about my future mod path more.

to each their own I guess.

The Blisteins are good but not all that great compared to the regular ones. I plan to do Tein coilovers when I have the extra cash, ride/comfort wise I would say is 10times better. I had Teins SS on my old car and comparing that alone with the blisteins on the MR, Teins is a whole lot better.

Tranny isn't all that great either, yes you get that extra gear which is great for highway driving, but then they are shorter. From a stop, i'm so used to starting my car in second gear and RARELY use 1st anymore. I could settle with the 5spd.

The BBS Rims look great, but they are my daily driving rims with allseasons tires, in which I could've done the same with the Enkies. I plan to get a set of volks when the time comes.

Seats are the same with the IX and RS and only differ the SSL.

Yes, with the MR, you get the doritos vortex generator, but they can also be had for $200 or so. That's pretty much it right? Oh and cheezy carbonfiber overlays. And the factory guages, which I plan to get rid off again when there's cash in my evo bank account. Floormats that says Lancer Evolution MR. That's pretty much it?! The IX MRs aren't even limited editions anymore. Not worth the extra cash in my opinion.

Ahh I wish I could do it all over. Sorry for the rant. But this is just from my own personal experience with my car. If I could do it all over, really I would. But i'm stuck with the car now. Yeah someday in the future i'll paint the car yellow since I've always dreamed of owning a yellow evo for a long time now, and I plan to keep this car for quite some time.

Again, it's all personal preferences and to each their own.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

some of my friends got the mr because their parents are paying for it so they didn't have to worry about the price at all. personally, since i will be modifying my evo, i prefer getting a model that's 5k less, so i can use that 5k difference to turn the gsr into a beast. also the only thing the mr has over the gsr is the hid's imo. but that's just me though. any Evo is awesome
Old Mar 9, 2006, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by QuickSilverDS
My 2cent about the MR after 4 months of owning it. I would've settled for the GSR, if only I thought about my future mod path more.

to each their own I guess.

The Blisteins are good but not all that great compared to the regular ones. I plan to do Tein coilovers when I have the extra cash, ride/comfort wise I would say is 10times better. I had Teins SS on my old car and comparing that alone with the blisteins on the MR, Teins is a whole lot better.

Tranny isn't all that great either, yes you get that extra gear which is great for highway driving, but then they are shorter. From a stop, i'm so used to starting my car in second gear and RARELY use 1st anymore. I could settle with the 5spd.

The BBS Rims look great, but they are my daily driving rims with allseasons tires, in which I could've done the same with the Enkies. I plan to get a set of volks when the time comes.

Seats are the same with the IX and RS and only differ the SSL.

Yes, with the MR, you get the doritos vortex generator, but they can also be had for $200 or so. That's pretty much it right? Oh and cheezy carbonfiber overlays. And the factory guages, which I plan to get rid off again when there's cash in my evo bank account. Floormats that says Lancer Evolution MR. That's pretty much it?! The IX MRs aren't even limited editions anymore. Not worth the extra cash in my opinion.

Ahh I wish I could do it all over. Sorry for the rant. But this is just from my own personal experience with my car. If I could do it all over, really I would. But i'm stuck with the car now. Yeah someday in the future i'll paint the car yellow since I've always dreamed of owning a yellow evo for a long time now, and I plan to keep this car for quite some time.

Again, it's all personal preferences and to each their own.
You forgot the aluminum roof, factory guages, HIDs without purchasing SSL. Also I think there is more aero package on the underbody, I could be wrong about that though.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 02:19 PM
Qmr

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMSA/j...pecs.jsp?t=all

With this, MR is at most 66lbs heavier RS, 22lbs heavier GSR, and 53lbs lighter than SSL GSR.
But what i like about MR is its vortex generator, and the rims. It's BBS forge rim. Most of you guys after get evo will thinking about getting a new rims for the ride, and most the time, you can only get cast rims but not forge. For forge rims, it's like 3500+. And I had a bad experience with cast rims, I run thru a few or small hole in the street at ~90+mph, and I the rim is not perfecly rounded anymore. After few weeks, I have to throw away the rim and use OEM wheels for the front (while my other cast wheels still in the back - 5zigen FN01RC ). The front engine is heavy and going at high speed thru a small bump will generate a big force that will dent or cause damage to the cast wheel. So forge rim is the way to go = MR is my option.

1 more thing, what make our ride different from other cars and other lancer, because it's Evo, and what make my car different from other Evo, because it's MR (1 of 800 MR in US - not sure this is the right number)

Quick Reply: Why did you buy an MR?