Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Why did you buy an MR?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2006, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Because I could afford it..simple
Old Mar 9, 2006, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

I bought my MR because the Ebay price was awesome (there was a car before that did not sold) so the price on mine came down, much less than a regular EVO. (28,900)

But the 6 speed and BBs wheels, and Aluminum roof and nice overall Graphite color are exceptional and I would not buy a regular EVO.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Either car will make you happy. I bought the MR because all the extra options I would put on the GSR, it already has, and then some.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Stop the Madness!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 9, 2006, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

After taking a friend's MR for a drive, I made up my mind to trade into one. The tranny was enough to make the decision for me. The feel of the 6-speed is always smooth and isn't notchy like the 5-speed was in my '03 GSR, especially when it's cold. The BBSs, Bilsteins, HIDs, gauges, aluminum roof, shift knob, e-brake handle & pedals, brake cooling air guides, vortex generator, and zero-lift package were a nice touch, too.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

I think it mostly comes down to ego. For all the "improvements", the MR was half a car faster around a track than a regular VIII according to MT. Ignoring the fact that next to no one on here drives there cars competetively for anything more than hobby, even if half a car faster was important, the price difference all but negates it.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

this is an easy one. why would you buy an evo if you didn't want the best? i bought the MR because it was the best of the best.

plus the six speed, zero lift kit, bbs wheels and bilstein suspension are great.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo jason
this is an easy one. why would you buy an evo if you didn't want the best? i bought the MR because it was the best of the best.
I rest my case.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 06:11 PM

I'm sure many of you have already seen this (what Motor Trend has to say on this topic), but for some of the n00bs it may be a good read (as it was for me and I only just found it):

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html
Old Mar 9, 2006, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

So I could get my cool plates 46&2 MR ^_^
Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Max74
I'm sure many of you have already seen this (what Motor Trend has to say on this topic), but for some of the n00bs it may be a good read (as it was for me and I only just found it):

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html
Yep, that was a good read. I'm still glad I bought the MR... and now I can explain what the vortex generators are actually supposed to do!
Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by F0rcedFed
I was wondering why all you MR owners out there bought the MR and not just a regular VIII or IX? What was it that justified the extra $6,000?
I wanted a 6 speed with the car and I could afford to spend the extra money for it. The Bilsteins, spoilers, lightweight components were all just extras for me.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:42 PM
Evolving Member

suspension, 6-speed, etc... and the color as well
Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

if the mr came in black i'd get it. too bad it doesn't do most MR owners stay stock or mod the heck out of their cars also?
Old Mar 11, 2006, 12:02 AM

I put 49,000 miles on my modded 03 EVO VIII before I sold it for a IX MR. What can I say....I always pooh-poohed the six-speed saying it was useless for real-world sport driving. How wrong I was. The six-speed is the shiz...another gear just where I need it for sport cruising between 50 and 90 miles an hour on serpentine mountain roads. Also, I couldn't give up the HIDs that came standard on my 03. And, I despise the SSL package. Also, I would never own an RS because I USE ABS (feel the pedal pulse) EVERY TIME I RUN MY FAVORITE ROADS...Power without control (ABS) is useless. I don't believe anyone EXCEPT A TOP LEVEL PRO-ROAD RACER can stop as fast as a civilian with his foot deep in the ABS. I remember when Buschur's Pro-Driver lost a magazine challenge because he couldn't stop the car without locking the wheels. I also think the MR BBS wheels are sweet. The only thing I don't like about my MR are the stupid, brightly lit, useless voltage, oil temp, and boost guages stuffed in the hole that used to be a functional storage nook on my 03. The difference in monthly payments is also negligible over the life of the car. Getting it for $4K under MSRP made it easier to swallow as well. I could have had a GSR for $4400 less....but I DESIRED the MR. I am 100% POSITIVE that I made the RIGHT CHOICE for me...and that' all that matters........

Quick Reply: Why did you buy an MR?