Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Why did you buy an MR?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2006, 05:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why did you buy an MR?

I was wondering why all you MR owners out there bought the MR and not just a regular VIII or IX? What was it that justified the extra $6,000?
Old Mar 9, 2006, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

Status id have to say ( i didnt get the MR). Maybe the 6speed appeals to some people (better gas mileage for crusing?) And the lighter weight roof does make a difference whilst racing. I for one don't care for the MR wheels though.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 05:55 AM
Former Sponsor

The gas mileage difference is like 1-2 mpg it is not even worth it. I would say to have the best model of anything always puts you right there. Furthermore if the MR costs little enough the added upgrades of that package are actually worth the price. You may not gain power but you gain a better ride, a more race inspired chassis, and a 6 speed. To some thats enough to justify the purchase.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 05:58 AM

I got it for the suspension, gearbox, roof, and the fact that my wife liked it better than the black SSL that was right next to it. Quote "The one with the shark things is more you, this other one looks a bit weak"
Old Mar 9, 2006, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

I bought it because it was the only "white" colored EVO they had.....
Old Mar 9, 2006, 06:44 AM

The MR was the only Evolution the dealer in town had in stock. If I could do it over again, I would get the RS with the urban package.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 06:44 AM

Because I wanted one! Mostly gearbox and suspension.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what does the "urban package" consist of on the RS?
Old Mar 9, 2006, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Joe's_EVO8
The gas mileage difference is like 1-2 mpg it is not even worth it. I would say to have the best model of anything always puts you right there. Furthermore if the MR costs little enough the added upgrades of that package are actually worth the price. You may not gain power but you gain a better ride, a more race inspired chassis, and a 6 speed. To some thats enough to justify the purchase.
race inspired chassis? there's nothin race inspired about the MR, its just a 6 speed evo, thats it, with other stuff, different shocks in the back, and a bunch of goody goodies that say "MR edition" everywhere.

other than that its the same evo as the RS and the GSR

imo, the RS is more race inspired than the other two evos, it has aluminum roof like the mr does and is stripped down of all the unnecessary lil gadgets that take up weight and costs around 8 grand less than the MR, the MR is so not worth the money, its more of a show car, unless of course you have the money and wonna spend it, then go ahead

Last edited by alloyic_rs; Mar 9, 2006 at 06:53 AM.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

i bought the MR this time around for the 6speed, and exclusivity because everybody and their moma have an Evo now, u dont see a lot of MR.
That s one reason i traded my 2005 Evo 8 for my 2006 Evo 9 MR.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

I didn't see any MR for a while until the IX came out. All the IX's I've seen have been MRs.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 07:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ha-

I bought the RS for the lack of BS and 5 speed. After owning a 6 speed MB I tracked... 2 gears to 60 over 3, IMO, better gearing for road courses. I can cruise at 70/75/80mph to and from work and I still get 22mpg with under 1000 miles.

My cell phone has 512 MB MP3 storage and a automute function when a call comes in
Old Mar 9, 2006, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got the MR due to the suspension, chassis, and other little doo dads that come with the vehicle. I also wanted hids but in order to get them on a gsr u need to get the ssl package. When you add up the prices of the ssl and mr they're only like a grand apart. So I said screw it just get the MR.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Talking Mr

Originally Posted by VIIImylunch
I didn't see any MR for a while until the IX came out. All the IX's I've seen have been MRs.

Well I didn't buy the MR at a $6k premium so in real dollars after negotiating it was really $3k. I also waited until the EVO 9MR came out because they built a lot fewer of them than the regular GSR. I plan to keep this car for a very long time so I wanted to be the first owner of the car without any history. LAstly I wanted the best of the best because I know this car will be collectible one day. I also have owned a 1998 Supra Twin Turbo so I know about rare. This car totally make a supra look weak. Supras are only good in a straight line. I have been road racing 10 years and think this car has the best handling car of all time. You can actually put the power down. The supra is just wheel spin, no fun

Michael
Old Mar 9, 2006, 07:34 AM
Account Disabled

Cuz the MR is the top dog of all EVO's

Quick Reply: Why did you buy an MR?